U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 05:23 AM

209 posts, read 1,026,201 times

Advertisements

I work a great deal with those wanting to relocate to an area that offers a vast array of cultural and outdoor activities, yet with a much needed slower pace. Let me tell you about some of those such as the Lenfest Center for the Performing Arts on the campus of Washington & Lee,with over 127 public performances each year, they offers plays, lectures, ballet, opera to name a few. Next would be The Theater at Lime Kiln (a th century lime kiln and quarry) with its restored arched hearth kilns and towering stone chimney, there is nothing more spectacular then a a concert or play under the stars. VMI (Virginia Military Institute) also has a vast array of activities that go on through out the year and as always they public is invited. For the outdoor lover, we are located at the foot of the Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, the parkway with its many hiking trails and waterfalls is within a 15 minute drive from Lexington. The Appalachian Trail, it's here too. Take leisurely stroll by the Maury River on the Chessie Trail. Hike to Panther Falls, how about a drive out to Goshen Pass where in the summer you can crawl out on massive rocks and sunbath, The drive in the spring offers Mountain Laurel and Rhododendron and the fall colors are unbelievable. If Rafting, tubing and canoing are your thing. The Maury River runs through Lexington and Buena Vista and turns into The James River near Glasgow (10 minute drive) offering several classes of rapids. A new indoor/outdoor pool has just been completed for those of you that enjoy swimming all year round. Need exercise? Join the YMCA here in town. How about Golf? The Lexington Golf and Country Club and the newer Vista Links public golf courses(Buena Vista) which is rated one of the top hardest golf courses in Virginia. Glen Maury parks calendar of events stays full of Bluegrass, country, rock & pop concerts.They also have Fridays in the parks and Lexington offers Fridays Alive at the Old Liberty Hall Ruins ( thats where W&L got it's start!) If your going to live here you need to know the great places to eat and we have some of the best around. Café Michel, consistently a 5-star fine dining, Sheridan Livery Inn, Bistro on Main, Tuscany Italian, Southern Inn and The Palms to name a few.
You are only going to be bored here if you allow yourself to be. We have alot of history in the little town, so next time your here stop by the visitor center and ask for the self guided walking tour. You won't be sorry.Stonewall Jackson Hospital is located in the heart of Lexington. University of Virginia Hospital in Charlottesville (60 Minutes) Alleghany Regional Hospital (30 minutes) Augusta Medical center (30 minutes) and several hospitals in Roanoke and Salem about 45 minutes away. True, Lexington doesn't offer large shopping malls but we have some great little shops in town. We have several grocery stores and for those of you who can't exist without Walmart, we have that too. We are located right off the I-64 & I 81 interchange. Staunton (30 minutes I-81 north) Charlottesville & UVA Football (75 minutes I-64 East), Roanoke (45 minutes I-81 South) LOL, Blacksburg & VA TECH football is (75 Minutes away)
You like it so far? Well ask yourself this. When is the last time my kids or any of us for that matter, could walk down main street in the evening with homemade ice cream (we have that too) and enjoy such a peaceful warm feeling that truly can not be defined, I hope I have peaked your interest in Lexington . Gathright Dam and Lake Moomaw is within a reasonable drive and so is Douthatt State Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 08:55 AM

942 posts, read 1,066,298 times
I admit it sounds very nice, and for those that are from the eastern USA and want to remain on that coast after retirement, it sounds perfect. There is just one thing that really bothers me with Virginia and that is, I am finding that Virgina taxes every penny of a retirees pension even federal. That is for many of us that have to consider that fact, a deterrent to retiring in Virginia.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:24 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,248,052 times
I looked up Lexington and Buena Vista. It looks pretty good. They are small cities with colleges. There seems to be views of the mountains with land around for hiking. It has four seasons of weather. From the stats Buena Vista would be somewhat les expensive. Maybe there's less touristy stuff there.

I've added it to my short list of places to check out. I only had a couple of possible place left on my list after my husband told me he did not want any desert locations. It's hard to find a places with that kind of in between weather that's not too hot or cold.

I have been to Virginia,and I liked it a lot. I can't remember seeing these 2 towns so maybe we didn't pass that area. We did zigzag through the state and saw quite a bit.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:59 PM

10 posts, read 26,710 times
I just read your posting I am a New York City Police Officer and will be retiring in 3.5 years have been researching area from Harrisburg to Lexington I have a sister who has a house in Culpeper My wife and I will be looking for a few acres 2 to 10 with a farm or victorian style Historic or new house made to look that way about 1600 Sq ft give or take I would require lake fishing now finally to my question is there a job market for a retired NYPD Officer either on a local police department or a college police department thanks for any other information you can give Jerry

Old 10-26-2007, 06:22 PM

417 posts, read 987,473 times
Virginia interests me for a retirement location as well, as our only child lives in that state. But two things alarm me. 1.) Taxes. Is it true, as the previous poster said, that VA taxes retirement income?
and 2.) Humidity. I understand the humidity is less in the mountains - how high does one have to go in elevation to escape the worst humidity?

Lastly, can anyone refer me to any year-round RV campgrounds in the Blue Ridge Parkway area of VA?

Old 10-27-2007, 05:25 AM

I am an agent but I also work for the tourism industry and as far as I know most of the Blue Ridge Parkway stays closed in the winter time. Very few miles are kept open so that people may get to their homes or the Peaks of Otter Lodge. I would venture to say that there are not any year round campgrounds on the parkway.But I will check it out for you.
About the taxes. Only comment I can make on that one is that both my mom and dad receive SS and my dad also receives his retirement pay from the Air Force and each year they file taxes. But always get a pretty good refund. You are allowed to make so much before the taxes hit.

Humidity, that is something I can't handle well at all with allergies and asthma. The coast of Virginia will be most humid.Charlottesville less humid as your about to start you climb into the mountains. Shenandoah Valley is nestled between mountians and the humidity is not bad at all. Oh there are times but it is usually whent he rest of the country is going through it also. What is wonderful about this area is that we have four really nice seasons.None of which can be considered extreme.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:10 PM

417 posts, read 987,473 times
Default Thanks, Cdshiflett

I'm dissappointed to learn that parts of the Parkway close up in the winter - I would imagine it's beautiful up there that time of year.
Thanks for the info, and for checking into it - I appriciate it.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:56 AM

It is beautiful but also dangerous in the Snow and Ice. The parkway is not traveled near as much in the winter and for the crews to constantly be out cleaning off downed tree limbs and ice and snow just isn't feasible.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,019 times
Default RV camping

T
Quote:
Originally Posted by us2indaup View Post
Virginia interests me for a retirement location as well, as our only child lives in that state. But two things alarm me. 1.) Taxes. Is it true, as the previous poster said, that VA taxes retirement income?
and 2.) Humidity. I understand the humidity is less in the mountains - how high does one have to go in elevation to escape the worst humidity?

Lastly, can anyone refer me to any year-round RV campgrounds in the Blue Ridge Parkway area of VA?
The best RV camping near Lexington, Va and the Blue Ridge Parkway is Lake Robertson located in Rockbridge County. No motor boats, other boats allowed, quiet, surrunded by mountains, store, fishing, rentals of canoes and fishing boats, etc. Look it up

Old 01-18-2008, 04:24 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,953,712 times
We have visited and stayed in Lexington 4 or 5 times. We really did consider it as a retirement spot so we kept staying for a few days and seeing the area, going to the colleges, museums, restaurants, shops,tours, etc. We just felt that it was too remote for us - too far from D.C. and the coast where there is such a variety of things to see and do. The cost of housing (at least the kind of house we want) is not particularly cheap there either. It is a lovely place to visit and the Visitor's Center is great - the volunteers are very helpful, we just decided it wasn't for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or