U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Speed limit: intersection, seniors only apartments, homogenous society, assisted living center

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 06:39 PM

8,191 posts, read 28,123,837 times

Advertisements

After my grandfather passed away my grandmother chose to sell their place in a lovely community in FL and move into an awful building for seniors. Her argument for this was that she had many friends who were living there. I have been to this place many times. When you walk through the front door all of the folks in the lobby look up with hope on their faces, see that you are not someone they know, and they just DROOP! Most of the residents have been abandoned there by their families. My grandmother hates living there. She tells me at least once a week how all the residents ever want to talk about is what Medicare won't pay for or how they have all of these aches and pains. I think that putting seniors away without interaction with the rest of society is just awful. If health is a concern, that is what hospitals are for. Other than that, I think seperation by age is just another form of discrimination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2006, 07:32 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,902,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_time_Blues View Post
If I were a senior I would live as long as I could as far from people as possible. Because of the independence that comes with living in an isolated community. As far as them living in younger communities, it depends on the communty and if it can fit their needs or not. I'm early 20's btw. Graduated in '04. Long way to go!

You are early twenties? Boy have a lot of wisdom stored up already. I had you for wayyyyy older than that.

Old 09-30-2006, 07:36 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,902,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
After my grandfather passed away my grandmother chose to sell their place in a lovely community in FL and move into an awful building for seniors. Her argument for this was that she had many friends who were living there. I have been to this place many times. When you walk through the front door all of the folks in the lobby look up with hope on their faces, see that you are not someone they know, and they just DROOP! Most of the residents have been abandoned there by their families. My grandmother hates living there. She tells me at least once a week how all the residents ever want to talk about is what Medicare won't pay for or how they have all of these aches and pains. I think that putting seniors away without interaction with the rest of society is just awful. If health is a concern, that is what hospitals are for. Other than that, I think seperation by age is just another form of discrimination.

That's exactly what my mother in-law says, she doesn't like to be around people her own age because all they do is complain about their aches and pains. My mother on the other hand loves to complain and loves to hear others complain too.

It is very sad though how these people are abandoned, it's really heart breaking.

Old 09-30-2006, 09:37 PM

421 posts, read 360,005 times
As a nurses aid and a home health provider, i chose to work strictly with seniors....geriatrics was my specialty..i gave loving tender super good care to all my patients...they loved me so much, they called for me and not thier doctors..LOL..It just revolts me the disrespect for our older ppl!

Old 10-01-2006, 12:21 PM

872 posts, read 3,273,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
You are early twenties? Boy have a lot of wisdom stored up already. I had you for wayyyyy older than that.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINBOWWAVES
As a nurses aid and a home health provider, i chose to work strictly with seniors....geriatrics was my specialty..i gave loving tender super good care to all my patients...they loved me so much, they called for me and not thier doctors..LOL..It just revolts me the disrespect for our older ppl!
Ya, most of them just want someone to listen to them and be talked to. Makes their day.

Old 10-01-2006, 01:55 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,364,111 times
I can speculate, but I surely can't accurately predict what my own feelings will be when I am older. I have no idea whether or not I'll prefer to live amongst people my own age, or integrated into a mixed-age community, or perhaps go the opposite route, and purposely isolate myself from those of a similar age. I can give my feelings now on the subject, which is that I would not like to live in a "seniors only" area, but this viewpoint is seen through my current youthful prism so I don't know if it will hold the test of time.

My Grandma who is 85 with multiple health problems prefers not to live amongst many older people because she finds it extremely depressing and says that "everyone just whines". As she told me "now I know that I whine and complain about aches and pains, and I know that can be annoying, but imagine being around FIFTY of me". Unfortunately, due to health issues, she can't really live by herself so after a short stay in a nursing home, she moved in with my uncle where she has lived for the past several years.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:56 AM

4,661 posts, read 15,786,094 times
Quote:
My post is to get you to really think about your own attitude about seniors in your neighborhood, and if you happen to be a senior, do you prefer to be isolated from younger families or live among them in a homogenous society as we did many years ago. I'll add my opinion later on.
I'm 40 and my mom is 70 with Multiple Sclerosis (MS). I'm the youngest of four children and my husband and I moved my mom out here, after discussing it with her of course, a little less than four years ago. She was diagnosed with MS in 1979 and can still manuver about her apartment with a walker, driving is no longer and for trips about town we take her wheel chair.

The reason behind moving her was that two of the other kids lived in the same town as she and never called or went to see her for any reason including Holidays. As petty as they are, they have their (petty) reasons... whatever. When my husband and I had been out there to visit in 2002 I noticed how ashen her complexion was and couldn't stand it. When I noticed there was a brand new senior independent complex being built, I gathered information and also passed the information on to her so she could decide.

Even though she doesn't care to get out as she used to, she's doing 200% better here. I'm not on top of her like a leech, but enough to maintain a healthy balance of looking out for her and giving her the space she needs as an individual. I do her laundry weekly, not because she can't, but because there's no need for her to be spending money on the coin-op washer/dryers in the complex when I have my own set, besides for how many years did she do my laundry?

What I don't get and probably never will is how people can turn their backs on their own family (like my siblings) We're not a huggy/kissy family, but still family is (or should be) family. I do know there are circumstances where yeah it would make sense to run far and away, but thankfully none of those things ever happened in our family.

As far as other seniors, you bet I pay mind to them, every now and again I will pick up their tab in a restaurant and leave before they know.

When it comes to myself and aging, I'm frightened, not of dying, but of aging.

Old 10-02-2006, 12:37 PM

96 posts, read 423,369 times
Thumbs up Great Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I'm 40 and my mom is 70 with Multiple Sclerosis (MS). I'm the youngest of four children and my husband and I moved my mom out here, after discussing it with her of course, a little less than four years ago. She was diagnosed with MS in 1979 and can still manuver about her apartment with a walker, driving is no longer and for trips about town we take her wheel chair.

The reason behind moving her was that two of the other kids lived in the same town as she and never called or went to see her for any reason including Holidays. As petty as they are, they have their (petty) reasons... whatever. When my husband and I had been out there to visit in 2002 I noticed how ashen her complexion was and couldn't stand it. When I noticed there was a brand new senior independent complex being built, I gathered information and also passed the information on to her so she could decide.

Even though she doesn't care to get out as she used to, she's doing 200% better here. I'm not on top of her like a leech, but enough to maintain a healthy balance of looking out for her and giving her the space she needs as an individual. I do her laundry weekly, not because she can't, but because there's no need for her to be spending money on the coin-op washer/dryers in the complex when I have my own set, besides for how many years did she do my laundry?

What I don't get and probably never will is how people can turn their backs on their own family (like my siblings) We're not a huggy/kissy family, but still family is (or should be) family. I do know there are circumstances where yeah it would make sense to run far and away, but thankfully none of those things ever happened in our family.

As far as other seniors, you bet I pay mind to them, every now and again I will pick up their tab in a restaurant and leave before they know.

When it comes to myself and aging, I'm frightened, not of dying, but of aging.
After reading all the posts on this subject I find this one very close to my own opinion. Hopefully there will be enough funds available to help support me when that time comes. I am pretty healthy right now, but that can change at any time. I find it ironic that I can speak about this to strangers but can't bring my self to raise the issue with my children. I guess I don't want to put them on the spot and possibly be dissappointed in thier answer. Yes, I am part ostrich. This group may have inspired me to call a meeting to discuss some options while I still have some. Thank you everyone for your thoughtful replys. I've learned alot here.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:19 AM

3,020 posts, read 23,629,775 times
Yeah, I don't want no kids around at all. Nobody that is faster than me.

My real goal is to be able to wear my pants up under my armpits and complain about the Government. Plus get a bunch of operations so I can show my scars.

I am still working on doing that thing with my tongue but I am getting better and even learned how to walk Old. I have a good role model. My dog is going on 17, she can do it all. I just want to get even and get all the money out that I put into Social Security. That and in the end, be shot by a jealous husband at about 125.

This year I get to do one of the things I always wanted. Go to Florida and drive for miles and miles with my turn signal on. Give that blank stare and wave when they blow the horns. Ain't looking forward to all that Jello and stuff, you don't have to chew tho.

I don't want to be around senior citizens either. Especially those ones that just got a new dress or shoes. It is so hard, telling some of them how pretty they look, even if they didn't get the weekly bath yet.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:50 AM

633 posts, read 802,103 times
Smile Seniors

[quote=soapboxsallysmom;109199]A curious thing happened today in Tampa. For the first time anywhere, a speed limit sign was erected cautioning people to Slow Down for Seniors. This sign appears at a busy intersection near a seniors only apartment complex.

I can hear you all groaning now, but it raises an interesting dilemma. We take care to protect children, but never think in the same way for seniors, the fraille kind. We hear plenty of jokes and complaints about how inconvenient it is to have them in our neighborhoods (not sure of the reasons yet), and other disparaging comments about old people. The irony of this is that if some of you are lucky, you might get to be a senior. If and when that happens, how would feel hearing the younger people on these pages refer to you as such a burden and annoyance.

My post is to get you to really think about your own attitude about seniors in your neighborhood, and if you happen to be a senior, do you prefer to be isolated from younger families or live among them in a homogenous society as we did many years ago. I'll add my opinion later on.

I'm looking forward to some sincere thoughts on this subject from the young as well as the older members.

Thanks.

I am a senior and I guess my views reflect that fact. Actually I think a homogenous society is better in most respects--especially from the mental/attitude point of view.
However it appears there is an increasing hostility among a segment of the young that makes living in close quarters with them a challenge. When right -wrong issues arise it is frightening what the 'new' meaning of correct is in their world.
For example, driving the speed limit is for the old fashioned--ya gotta speed to be human--you see this everyday around my area. Did anybody tell them it kills people and is against the law (that is, some areas still enforce the law)

Due to the deterioration of society in general senior communities do allow a bit of protection from the many onslaughts of the 'crazies'. That is why I predict these communities will become more popular and in demand in the future. In general, they are safer and surer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or