U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: The 'Rock Till Ya Drop'... cool idea for retirement?
Hell yes...sign me up 11 33.33%
Good idea... just not for me 11 33.33%
Too young to retire but it's a great idea 3 9.09%
Crazy idea... must be smoking too much of something 8 24.24%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-27-2012, 12:54 PM

154 posts, read 85,691 times

Advertisements

Looking for a little input here on an idea for a new kind of retirement community. Being a part-time musician and full-time lover of live music, I've been rolling this idea around in my head for the last 5 years and it's time to set it free... Why not band together with other musicians, artist, and anyone who truly loves live music and the arts to build the 'Rock Till Ya Drop' 55+ community (RTYD for short).

Here's the vision...

Build a small community (1000 residences or so) of various types of dwellings (single family homes, town homes, row homes, lofts, commune homes, and rental apartments) around an old-fashioned town square. The square would be built around a multi-purpose performance venue (concerts, plays, movies, readings, worship, etc.) where we'd bring in artist to perform. Around the square would be restaurants, shops and little studios where members of the community needing to work or simply wanting to pad their retirement savings could be employed. I don't know if you've been staying on top of the looming retirement issues that will be facing our country in the next 5 years or so but there are going to be many baby boomers who will need to work until they die, which isn't a bad thing if you have a job you truly love. With this being the case, why not work in a community of wonderful music-loving, open-minded people like themselves.

More importantly, the square would have 4 smaller, multi-purpose (serving food throughout the day and live music in the evening) restaurant/bars/clubs on each of the four corners where lesser known local and regional artists could perform... possibly having bands made up of local folks from the 'neighborhood' open for the newer and younger up and coming bands. While not fully self-sustaining, this community could employ residents needing to work, giving them the opportunity to have a fun, respectable 'retirement' that would not be possible at most retirement communities today.

This community would be formed as a non-profit cooperative as we will need to screen new members. One out of every five members would need to be a verifyable musician, singer, sound or light tech in order to facilate live music and jams from the residents (yes, auditions to see if they really can play just enough to jam with others). When you think of it in terms of a golfing retirement community, it would be pretty pointless to build a retirement complex for golfers if very few members actually played golf. We plan to have several 'garages' built throughout the community where people could get together to jam or just hang out... a 'different' type of bridge club so to speak.

My wife and I are middle-aged groupies who follow the band Little Feat. As we travel to see Feat shows and other concerts and shows in the Chicago area, we've noticed that these shows, festivals, and concerts are largely attended by baby boomers who still love live music and probably always will. In the last year I've actually taken to running the RTYD concept past total strangers at these shows only to have my gut feeling about this idea strongly reinforced by their enthusiastic responses of “I'm in” or “Sign me up”.

Boomers grew up with the most incredible music that was ever recorded; much from bands that are still touring – some out of necessity, others out of passion, some from a combination of both. And then there are the fans and other musicians who played yet never aspired to the greatness of our rock n roll heroes, that have a similar passion burning within... especially the women who 'loved the boys in the band' back in the day and still do today (hmmm... sound like anyone you know?).

In order to make this dream a reality, we will be needing people from all walks of life... each with skills they could employ to help us get this off the ground. We would prefer to keep corporate money out of the equation only to allow us to be more reasonably priced. The minute you bring corporate money into the picture you immediately tack on an additional 20-30% in the price of the residences... putting living in the community out of reach for many people... especially musicians and artist that always seem to be struggling while giving the rest of us great entertainment.

Please contact me if this vision appeals to you...

Last edited by RTYD; 11-27-2012 at 01:07 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 01:46 PM

18,717 posts, read 15,628,661 times
Interesting idea. It might be hard to put it together, but if you could I think it could be a fantastic community. Artist communities sometimes fare really well. Sometimes artist communities also have problems with things like ego issues and financial issues--not necessarily something to worry about but maybe something to consider.

I wouldn't want to live there myself, since I prefer very quiet communities--but I would enjoy visiting and attending concerts.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:17 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,620,077 times
So the ticket revenue from those outside the community would go toward supporting the retirees in the community?
I like it.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:47 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,213,380 times
I think it's an awesome idea! And, yes, there should be money coming in from outside the community, too.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:43 PM

4,052 posts, read 5,149,021 times
Smile Very cool

Just make it some place warm! LOL....

I love your statement:

Boomers grew up with the most incredible music that was ever recorded; much from bands that are still touring – some out of necessity, others out of passion, some from a combination of both. And then there are the fans and other musicians who played yet never aspired to the greatness of our rock n roll heroes, that have a similar passion burning within... especially the women who 'loved the boys in the band' back in the day and still do today (hmmm... sound like anyone you know?).

I grew up in the Chicago area as a kid and then South Florida when we had the best of the best. My husband was in the same high school as KC. Anyway, I sent you my e-mail; great idea; I think we'll see some good ideas coming around down the pike - as always, the boomers are blazing a new trail.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:37 AM

You're probably right regarding creative types and their egos. We're hoping to attract many 'regular' folks who have these hidden talents and do it as a hobby only because they just don't have the time to do it in a more full time manner. I believe retirement will open many doors for many common folks. Lots of talented folks out there that will never be famous and probably don't care to be.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:28 PM

17,606 posts, read 23,805,174 times
I'm seeing this more like a summer camp for reluctant adults.
Somewhere like Colorado or Washington should work out well...

Aging Children - Tigger Outlaw/Joni Mitchell - YouTube

Old 11-30-2012, 04:49 PM

and why specifically those 2 states

Old 11-30-2012, 06:28 PM

226 posts, read 126,938 times
Do ya need any roadies?

Old 11-30-2012, 07:15 PM

18,717 posts, read 15,628,661 times
What would be great would be if musicians in a community like this would start coming up with new songs about being old. Enough already with songs about teenage angst--our challenges and life experiences are worth singing about, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement