U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 11:22 AM

28,240 posts, read 39,890,612 times

Advertisements

May we know where that favored. Spot is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 04:58 PM

10,816 posts, read 8,061,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
May we know where that favored. Spot is?
Austin TX and surrounding W/SW communities.
Initial candidates (over the past 10-15 years years) included northern AR, western NC, and northern NM. Northern NM is still in the running but we'll probably settle for regular vacations there since it's only a day's drive from Austin.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:27 PM
JRR

3,679 posts, read 2,225,729 times
We have been where we are for 20 years because of our jobs and my elderly mother. Now the jobs are a thing of the past and my mother is fading fast at the age of 102 1/2. When she is gone, we will be heading most likely to Tennessee. We like the people, the weather, and the cost of living. I feel more at home there than I ever have here in the Orlando area.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:47 AM

10,513 posts, read 8,760,423 times
They are trying to run away from themselves.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:50 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,789 posts, read 54,440,540 times
Even now, in our last 5-6 years of working, we no longer need the 3,000 sf house we are in. When we retire and have only our pensions and SS to live on, the house payment and taxes will be a struggle, while the equity when we sell is likely to be enough that we can buy a smaller house in a less expensive area and pay cash. At that time someone else in the family can start hosting all of the holiday gatherings, we can say "our house is too small."

Old 10-23-2014, 09:56 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,735,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
They are trying to run away from themselves.
Who are the people trying to run away from themselves? Do you mean those who move when they retire? Your meaning is not clear to me.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,563 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Austin TX and surrounding W/SW communities.
Income Tax free and low cost housing + great weather 9 months / yr in the Hill Country of TX works for me too... and a great place to avoid the 280 days of drizzle in PNW. BUT... PNW is tough to beat for summer / salmon / berries, so I retreat from TX, west for June - Sept. (coolers of PNW Salmon and Berries fly free to TX on SWA). Brisket and BBQ fly free outbound (barter material)

Been coming to Hill Country for 20+ yrs to Christmas Lightings and winter activities. Bought a rural view place and is it rented out for 12% Net, and has a free place for me to stay (Guest house + Shop for my extra car and motorcycles). Taxes are $1200/ yr compared with PNW property tax at $14,400 property tax / yr.

I can fly into AUS or SAT (~$89) and I keep a $100 car there that gets 50 mpg on free cooking oil (plenty of that in TX!).

I have friends with a 1400 acre ranch 5 minutes away and I can work or play there till my heart's content.
Plenty of community activities and volunteer spots too. Very supportive community, lots of good friends, and even some PT work in invention and USA manufacturing! Great Potlucks with farm cooking / BBQ / roast pigs and lamb and such.

I don't feel I HAVE to move... Freedom to be where I feel like / most engaged while retired is a BIG plus. (I also spend a few months in Colorado during 'shoulder season'). Just applied for a PT winter job in Yellowstone for more fun and adventure. I love Wyoming winters!

Old 10-23-2014, 10:26 AM

2,013 posts, read 4,994,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berries View Post
to move away when they retire. leave eveything they know. why didn't they move when they were younger. i guss i do not get it
Any number of reasons; the adventure of starting a new chapter/phase of their life after working and living in one area for so long. To be near family, to downsize and get out from underneath heavily taxed or highly congested areas of the country, to pursue lifelong passions during their now unstructured time. Many people have gone where the job is and lived there because of the job. With a mobile society and the ease of travel there's no reason for someone to stay in a place that makes them unhappy, especially during their retirement years.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:05 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,612,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berries View Post
to move away when they retire. leave eveything they know. why didn't they move when they were younger. i guss i do not get it
There are so many reasons: 1-cost of living:2-closer to family: 3-better weather: 4-being in a retirement situation, all these for starters. As for moving when one is younger, it often has to do with job security or uprooting the family. Many people stay in the urban areas because that is where the jobs are, but want a quieter life style as they age. For many, staying in the same environment after retirement is comfortable, for others the excitement of a new life keeps them going. There is no right or wrong way.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:20 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,319,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
When we are young, we have to live where we can get the best jobs and make the most money. Not necessarily where we want to live. When I retire I never want to see snow or do yardwork again. Also the cost of living thing is very valid. I had a $30 hamburger in NYC last week and I remember thinking how can any just regular working people afford to live there?

My job forced me to live in a cold cruel environment. Now I want to be warm. I did my time! Now I can do what I want to do.
I still agree with what I wrote 7 years ago. And I still think Las Vegas was a good choice for me.

A lot of people are motivated by wanting to be near family. I really don't have any left so that wasn't a concern to me. One reason I went to Las Vegas years ago was because a favorite Aunt and Uncle lived here. Unfortunately the Uncle passed away and the Aunt moved elsewhere. No matter where I lived I would be without family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or