U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:31 PM

1,925 posts, read 4,612,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The town I am living in now offers the kind of activities I enjoy in retirement. I'm never bored. This past week I attended 3 lectures on The Civil War, Nuclear Nonproliferation and Northern India. My nonfiction book group met. I drove to The Great Smoky Mountain National Park and took photos. I drove to the Foothills Parkway and Norris Dam to take photos. I attended a street painting fair. I made my first ever DVD from my photos and added music. I had to skip a concert that I had a ticket for because I was too pooped. The point is I enjoy these type of things but they would not have been available to me had I stayed put where I was living before I retired or if I moved back to my hometown.
This sounds like a nice place. Thanks for sharing the info. Can you say where it is? Are you living in Tennessee (you mentioned in your post Great Smokey Mountain National Park)? I'm searching for a nice place to retire and plan to do some visiting over the next several months. I do need to work, so I'm looking for a place to "semi-retire" with access to jobs and eventually retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 07:43 PM

1,925 posts, read 4,612,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Yes, and the question was relating to the non-committal statement regarding 401's, but I did find clarification...

'Distributions from a retirement plan (including 401(k), 403(b) and SIMPLE plans) after age 59 are not subject to PA Personal Income Tax.'

It was also interesting to find that PA taxes any employer matching contribution in the year it is made.

As to the comment about 'tax deferred' it should be noted that that is reference to federal income tax and that state tax treatment of those funds varies across the country. Sorry to confuse the issue but this is worth noting when looking at retirement locales.
'Distributions from a retirement plan (including 401(k), 403(b) and SIMPLE plans) after age 59 are not subject to PA Personal Income Tax.'

Would this include distributions from IRAs?

Old 03-13-2008, 02:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,608 posts, read 39,974,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
...How I wish the Mountain West was, oh, a three-hour drive from Boston.
Pretty quick plane ride from Manchester, or even quicker from Logan (if it is quicker to get there... not always).

Use priceline for cheap car, (often less than $20) or keep a cheap one at your favorite destination on a 'share' plan.

Consider 'Guest Home' stays (private homes, not B&B's) and maybe find a situation that would avail a nice place to frequent (someone with guest house or apartment, or house share, close to airport, or on transit route) Offer to help pay taxes / maint / util, and you will be really welcomed!!

Since you are free ... take advantage, lots of options.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:10 AM

13,321 posts, read 25,569,771 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I am still working on things in my mind's back burner.
I do hate flying but it's necessary.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:08 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,550,538 times
The most ideal situation that I can imagine is to be born, live your life with family and friends nearby, and be buried in the local cemetary.

This would have to be an area where you could work just enough to be happy. This would have to be an area that you enjoy and suitable to you for your whole life.

I believe many people do live their lives in the area they were born. It is the people who have learned to make compromises with their career and are satisfied with the simple everyday pleasure of the place, that they want to call home. To Them comfort is to see the same buildings; go down the same street; read the same newspaper; see the same people; watch buildings age; go back to places that you went to school; received your first kiss; see a tree that you planted, grow.

To me this would be ideal, but it did not happen. The army took me; my desire to see other places took me; my ambitions for education and career took me.

I live in a suburbs of Denver; have been here almost 30 years. Grew up in Western New York near Buffalo. There is one thing certain about where I now live--I will never leave. I have been here more years than any other area. It has acheived a comfort to me--a pleasurable boredom of the commonplace. I am retired now.

My siblings and I, all moved here as adults; we moved our parents here over twenty five years ago. All are still alive, and still here, and happy. I have come to have a feeling that I grew up in Denver. Sometimes I imagine I went to the local grade school, high school and college. I have seen buildings age and torned down; I have known people for many years. Yes, I even watch a tree grow, that I planted. I cannot go to the place of the first kiss, long ago-but I can go to the places of memories. So, I did achieve in part of my life that feeling of place, the feeling of belonging.

Consider deeply the place you live. Think hard about where you have worked and raised a family. Know what you will miss if you leave, and will you acheive more if you go. For next to family, place is most important, but place is not a "where" we move, but a "here" we belong.

So simply said; yet difficult to acheive. Maybe it is just chance in my life but I now
Livecontent

Old 03-20-2008, 10:30 PM

2,317 posts, read 4,639,959 times
Why do people feel the need to move when they retire..............
A person like myself,who just retired after 20 years of law enforcement,
will be getting a pension,so I relocated from NY to PA where my pension will go alot further. The houses are alot cheaper,the taxes, quality of life better
my pension is only taxed federal in PA,cost of living cheaper. I am still only a 2 hour commute to NY to visit family,When you plan to retire,and don't plan on working again you need to research what will work for you on a fixed income so you can enjoy the rest of your life.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:10 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,392,857 times
I live in southern New Hampshire and I would like to retire in New Mexico because the housing costs are much less (my current cost for taxes and condo fees will support a small house in NM and the value of the condo could buy a couple of small houses in a small town) and the weather is not a cold for as long. I could replace on of my cars with an old pick up truck and ride a motorcycle yewr round. Besides I fell in love with the place one sunrise in Alamogordo about 30 years ago.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:28 PM

191 posts, read 282,668 times
Why do people move in retirement?

Two reasons for me personally:

Cost of living
Weather

Old 10-16-2014, 05:54 PM

19,872 posts, read 22,790,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinyday View Post
Why do people move in retirement?

Two reasons for me personally:

Cost of living
Weather
And because they CAN (they are no longer tied down by a job).

Ken

Old 10-16-2014, 06:25 PM

29,782 posts, read 34,876,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
And because they CAN (they are no longer tied down by a job).

Ken
So good to see your name in a post and Bada Bing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or