Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 05:52 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times

Advertisements

Frihed89 wrote: They are trying to run away from themselves.

This might be the case for a very small percentage of people who move, but even then....SO WHAT! That is as valid a reason to move as any other reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 06:31 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
I see two types of people who do not move from my corner of the Bay Area when they retire:

1) 1%ers (OK, maybe an exaggeration ... 5%ers then).

2) People who are somewhat naive or blind about what it might be like to end up as an impoverished elder (due to running out of money too young due to the high COL).

I know it is a somewhat unique situation due to this corner being among the most expensive places in the US.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:35 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,650 times
People move once they retire for numerous reasons. In my case, I live where I do because it is where I work; I might not otherwise be here.

I am about 5 years away from retiring, so the question of where I want to live in retirement is an ongoing discussion. My current location has a lot going for it e.g. proximity to shopping, parks, bus line, good medical, reasonable COL, but I don't love it here. I suspect that I will end up staying here though. The area is growing, so once I retire I plan to start a small business, and I am arranging my life now so that I can transition into self-employment pretty smoothly.

That said, if I were to move, it would be to get a fresh start. There is something appealing about being able to re-invent yourself in a new place; I think that is what retirement is all about, reinventing your life as you would like it to be, an ever-changing experiment to find new interests and try new things.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
They are trying to run away from themselves.
I am not sure where you get this from? Are you speaking from personal experience? Maybe instead of running from themselves they are actually looking for themselves?

Old 10-24-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berries View Post
to move away when they retire. leave eveything they know. why didn't they move when they were younger. i guss i do not get it
Not everybody feels tied to a particular place. I have moved multiple times in my life for various reasons. Not everybody lives in a location they love, so why not look to move to a different locale that maybe has a better climate, different lifestyle (rural or urban), proximity to family, access to museums, theater, cultural events, etc.

If the goal of retirement is to be free to live life as you would like it to be, then moving to a more ideal location- whatever the reason- makes sense, and is a positive thing.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:40 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
October days at the beach in NC in the seventies/eighties folks still in the water at the start of the month. Seventy and full sun at the State Fair yesterday. Back where we came from? Temperatures in the 50's and Nor Easters and rain and night temps in the thirties. Finally getting some nights in the 40's here but still glorious sun during the day and 60's and 70's with blooming season not yet wound down. Interesting to see the changes in activities for people you know on Facebook based on current location. Some have been there for a long time if not for ever and others have transplanted elsewhere. Elsewhere seems to be winning in outdoor lifestyle.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:42 AM

720 posts, read 1,709,225 times
We have always wanted to move from our home state. Jobs and raising children kept us there.
We could have stayed after retirement, but frankly hate the cold , and being stuck in the house for months. Also finances would have been squeezed more. We never went out at night, always worried about icy roads, rain changing to sleet, etc.
So we moved to where the seasons change, but not drastically,we have lots more "play" money, can camp all year round, more sun, and have an active social life.
Do we miss the family? Yes, but quite frankly they have very busy lives and we didn't see them often.
In between, we were bored silly. Here, we have joined clubs, have a circle of retired friends, are outside more often, and have a smorgasbord of activities to do.
My point being it wasn't the simple event of retiring that caused us to move.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:44 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
Not everybody feels tied to a particular place. I have moved multiple times in my life for various reasons. Not everybody lives in a location they love, so why not look to move to a different locale that maybe has a better climate, different lifestyle (rural or urban), proximity to family, access to museums, theater, cultural events, etc.

If the goal of retirement is to be free to live life as you would like it to be, then moving to a more ideal location- whatever the reason- makes sense, and is a positive thing.
As I get older (just 28 now, but still), climate is becoming more important to me. I had to scrape the car for the first time yesterday and was not happy about it. It's also frequently overcast here in Indiana and I don't much care for that either.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:19 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,194 times
I've posted a number of times about our desire to retire near the coast or near the beach. This morning I read another article about the exponential increase in flooding along the East Coast and now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just sit tight in the Hudson Valley and wait for the coast to come to me

Old 10-24-2014, 12:44 PM

292 posts, read 357,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
They are trying to run away from themselves.
I'd respectfully disagree. Hell, I bet a large percentage who move take themselves along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement