Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 03:24 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,019,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Prairiegirl View Post
I have looked at the government website, but so far have only found out how to apply, I will keep looking!
I believe she has said she is on SSDI, but am not positive. I dont think she is on Medicaid because when she has mentioned needing medical attention and I have asked that she says "no - I dont want them implanted a chip in me" She has been diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia. This makes it difficult to get the facts, or really have an kind of conversation that doesnt end with "I wont do that because then the government with try to starve me to death, inject me to death" etc...(listening to Glenn Beck every day is not helping!)

I am not her guardian or anything so I dont think I can even inquire at her local agency...

Ariadne22 she has mentioned that if she moved out of state should would have to reapply. She is (understandably) afraid she will not get her benefits back if she makes any changes...
Thank you for all of your responses and sympathy so far...I will ask her exactly what she is on next time we speak and try to find the info I need on SS's website... and get back to you all...
I don't know of anyone diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia who was able to hold down a job long enough to obtain the minimal number of credits to collect SSDI. It is more likely SSI with Medical Assistance OR some amount of SSDI that is supplemented by SSI. I'm assuming that someone is acting as her representative payee. That individual would know what benefit she is receiving. BTW, regardless of the state, she would at least receive an amount equal to the federal benefit: $698/month. (Unless she has not yet been approved for either SSDI or SSI and is merely receiving minimal state benefits until a final decision is issued by SSA).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 04:17 PM

131 posts, read 453,802 times
She had been working for a few years before her break down. That was several years ago. Yes she has a payee, but she will not tell me who it is. We have had a few times in our history of no contact due to her aggression towards me. So she would like me to help her, but than goes on a rampage about how I am against her - sigh.
As she gets older I realize I am the only relative that will ever talk to her, so I am trying to understand her situation without upsetting her, with very little info to go on.
She has said she would like me to be her payee. I dont know if I can do that from a different state, but also am not sure I would want to do that as she can be very antagonistic towards me at times. At the moment she has someone from her church...but he is old and she feel he is going to tell her he cant do it anymore.
I would like to do what I can to help her, I would like to be prepared when the times comes...if she would only be able to answer my questions and not feel I am the enemy!

Old 12-14-2012, 05:02 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
yes if she is on medicaid then she is also on SSI and NOT SSDI. if she has been on SSDI for at least two years then she should already be on MediCARE not MediCAID. and that [Medicare] would move with her.
This is incorrect. It is possible to be on SSDI and Medicaid and Medicare - all at the same time.

I have a friend who, at age 57, went on SSDI, SSI, Medicaid (Title 19) and Medicare was added two years later. She's always had both. She doesn't pay anything for Medicare Part B. I think that's covered under Title 19, plus other things.

Now that she is over FRA, she is receiving SS, SSI, Medicare AND Medicaid (Title 19). She lives in her own home and is very active. She is not in a nursing home or anywhere close to being there.

http://www.agingcare.com/Answers/how...are-143334.htm
http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/ssact/title19/1900.htm

If you are disabled and low-income, you qualify for SSDI, Medicare AND Medicaid aka Title 19.

This is why this sibling is worried about moving. Medicaid varies by state. That's her problem. My friend, to this day, at age 72, who collects SS, SSI and is on Medicare/Medicaid is very, very, very cautious about doing anything to disturb that. She doesn't pay a dime and has excellent care. Medicaid in some areas is much better than being on just Medicare/wMedigap or a Medicare Advantage plan, both of which can have premiums, copays and out of pockets. My medical costs are a budget item. She never worries about it.

OP's sibling has Medicaid and Medicare. Some states are cutting back on Medicaid benefits/enrollment. This is why she doesn't want to move.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-14-2012 at 05:23 PM..

Old 12-14-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
This is incorrect. It is possible to be on SSDI and Medicaid and Medicare - all at the same time.

I have a friend who, at age 57, went on SSDI, SSI, Medicaid (Title 19) and Medicare was added two years later. She's always had both. She doesn't pay anything for Medicare Part B. I think that's covered under Title 19, plus other things.

Now that she is over FRA, she is receiving SS, SSI, Medicare AND Medicaid (Title 19). She lives in her own home and is very active. She is not in a nursing home or anywhere close to being there.

Can you get Medicaid and Medicare at the same time? - AgingCare.com
Social Security Act §1900

If you are disabled and low-income, you qualify for SSDI, Medicare AND Medicaid aka Title 19.

This is why this sibling is worried about moving. Medicaid varies by state. That's her problem. My friend, to this day, at age 72, who collects SS, SSI and is on Medicare/Medicaid is very, very, very cautious about doing anything to disturb that. She doesn't pay a dime and has excellent care. Medicaid in some areas is much better than being on just Medicare/wMedigap or a Medicare Advantage plan, both of which can have premiums, copays and out of pockets. My medical costs are a budget item. She never worries about it.

OP's sibling has Medicaid and Medicare. Some states are cutting back on Medicaid benefits/enrollment. This is why she doesn't want to move.
Probably not. There's a reason she has a rep payee... in her case, paranoid schizophrenia.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:34 PM

Actually I dont know if she has medicare or medicaid. From what I understand SHE claims she doesnt have any insurance, but I dont know if she doesnt...or is afraid to use it. This is one of the things I would like to know in the event she should need medical care.
I think I have a better understand now of what her fear is and I understood why she would be afraid, I was just wanting to know if I needed to bring her to my home what kind of repercussions that would have for both of us. We cant afford to support her in her own place, but I am sure (if I could survive it mentally) we could put her up - if she could move.
If that would not work I would like to find a place that would take her...I am feeling that I need to have my ducks in a row so when something changes I am better prepared. It will be hard enough to deal with the emotions of the situation let alone trying to find a way to care for her. My aunt used to handle this, but she has passed away. She had full blown Alzheimer's before I had a chance to find out what the situation was.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Actually I dont know if she has medicare or medicaid. From what I understand SHE claims she doesnt have any insurance, but I dont know if she doesnt...or is afraid to use it. This is one of the things I would like to know in the event she should need medical care.
I think I have a better understand now of what her fear is and I understood why she would be afraid, I was just wanting to know if I needed to bring her to my home what kind of repercussions that would have for both of us. We cant afford to support her in her own place, but I am sure (if I could survive it mentally) we could put her up - if she could move.
If that would not work I would like to find a place that would take her...I am feeling that I need to have my ducks in a row so when something changes I am better prepared. It will be hard enough to deal with the emotions of the situation let alone trying to find a way to care for her. My aunt used to handle this, but she has passed away. She had full blown Alzheimer's before I had a chance to find out what the situation was.
1Prairiegirl,

How old is your sister, in what state does she live, and when did she first "lose it"? That information would help a lot. SSA cannot tell you anything. Period. Neither can her physicians or therapists.

It is possible that she does not have insurance at this time. For example, she could have worked most of her life earning minimal wages and qualify for SSDI at say, $710/mth. That would be too much to qualify for dual entitlement (SSDI & SSI) and she would be without insurance until Medicare kicked in (two years after eligibility for receipt of benefits.) This is probably more info than you wanted, but without knowing the bare basics it's difficult to tone down the speculation!

I gotta tell ya, I would do almost anything for my siblings i.e., lie, steal, kill (when appropriate) but I'm sure I would not live with someone who has Paranoid Schizophrenia unless I could be guaranteed she was symptom free (not likely). I've provided legal representation to these folks and it's not only horribly sad but extremely frustrating and sometimes dangerous as well.

Finding adequate housing could be a real bummer - Contact your local mental health agencies and nonprofit organizations that provide health care for the homeless. (Most "street people" are severely mentally ill and the not-so severely ill are often referred for special housing.)

Old 12-14-2012, 07:53 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
If she will give you permission, get a look at her bank statements. You are looking for 2 deposits - SSDI (Soc Security Disability Income) is coded 303. State payments are coded 310 and are Supplemental to SS. Each state has a base income level and some states will supplement the federal SS payment. Not all states add to the federal. This, she may lose. In most cases, it is a small amount, but her federal SSDI she does not lose by moving to a new state. Additionally, she may need to reapply for food stamps in her new state. Also, if she is receiving Section 8, her eligibility can transfer, although the amount she receives will be reviewed.

If her Medicare premiums are being paid because her SS payment is low (I do not know the cutoff amount), then she is probably already enrolled in Medicare. Note that Medicare is administered on the state level and some states do not call it medicare, but have absorbed the same benefits into their state plan - i.e. TN has TenCare that works similar to Medicare - it's just called something else. Medicaid eligibility is determined by each state based on the income, i.e. the amount of SSDI payment.

Again, my understanding is that $699 is the base amount anyone receives from SSDI.

I am not an attorney. I have never worked for the SSA. I have helped others with their paperwork and figuring out their eligibility/applications.

ETA: $710 was an old figure for determining dual eligibility. I do not know what the new limit is - and it does vary by state - but I know for a fact that someone receives over $750 and has both Medicare and Medicaid - as of this year.

Last edited by NY Annie; 12-14-2012 at 08:04 PM..

Old 12-14-2012, 07:59 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Actually I dont know if she has medicare or medicaid. From what I understand SHE claims she doesnt have any insurance, but I dont know if she doesnt...or is afraid to use it.
If she's on SSDI, whoever processed that for her also got her whatever govt medical coverage she qualified for. Medicare AND Medicaid (Title 19). If they didn't, they should have.

Again, if she's got a payee, that person is taking care of all of this. Someone, somewhere has identified her as needing help if she's got a payee. If they assigned a payee, they should have also seen to it she has medical coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
ETA: $710 was an old figure for determining dual eligibility. I do not know what the new limit is - and it does vary by state - but I know for a fact that someone receives over $750 and has both Medicare and Medicaid - as of this year.
That is correct. My friend has been on Medicare/Medicaid for 15 years.

Quote:
Q: Can a senior qualify for Medicaid if they already receive Medicare?
A: Yes, a person can receive both Medicare and Medicaid. When a Medicare beneficiary begins receiving Medicaid benefits they are deemed a "Dual Eligible." Dual eligibles have enhanced benefits.

Here's how it works: Medicare continues to be the person's primary insurer. They are free to go to any provider that accepts Medicare. This means they are not limited to "Medicaid Doctors" (as those who are not Medicare eligible typically are).

Dual eligibles also have their Part B Medicare premium paid and their Part D prescription premium subsidized. Co-pays for prescriptions medicine go to $1 and $5 with no "donut hole." Medicaid may also provide long-term care services in addition to the above depending on the recipient's circumstances.

Unless Social Security determines that you are disabled, you are eligible for Medicare when you turn 65. Much of the premium has been paid if you have worked the requisite number of quarters and contributed to Social Security. As a Medicare beneficiary (or even if you are not) you may be eligible for Medicaid if you have limited income and resources.

This was and is my friend's situation. I'll bet this is your sister's situation, as well, but she may not know it.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-14-2012 at 08:22 PM..

Old 12-14-2012, 08:18 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

Social Security Act §1900

That's right.

This is fairly complicated stuff and one should consult with Social Security itself. However the problem is that there confidentiality laws which make it hard to do so. I think you should show up with her at a Social Security office and ask if you can proceed with your questions since she is right there to give you permission.

The main problem as I see it is the extra medical coverage that Medicare doesn't provide for some things, co-pays that are impossible for poor people come up with. Some states and the govt offer extra help for much of that stuff. Whatever the state kicks in could be lost with a move to another state.

Chances are that "blue" states like California or Massachusetts will offer more extra stuff, but even California recently had to drop dentistry from its list of Medicaid services.

HOWEVER - so much is provided by Medicare and federal extra assistance, that for all practical purposes you don't need to worry about Medicaid or anything that changes by state.
You could almost certainly move her without it being a biggie, but of course it's a good idea to know for sure.

EDIT: oops, forgot to mention that it's possible she may have to change her Medicare part D insurance company. The feds subcontract with them to provide drug coverage. Her current company may or may not operate in your location. This is easy, she should have a card which provides the company's phone number for all questions, or her pharmacy would know.

Last edited by Woof; 12-14-2012 at 08:27 PM..

Old 12-15-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
That's right.

This is fairly complicated stuff and one should consult with Social Security itself. However the problem is that there confidentiality laws which make it hard to do so. I think you should show up with her at a Social Security office and ask if you can proceed with your questions since she is right there to give you permission.

More complicated then I thought! And even more complicated when the person you are trying to help is suspicious that you are trying to harm! We live a 2600 miles apart, so that will take some planning, she has asked me to be her payee, but I didnt know if I could do that living this far away. That would cause some tension, but I would know all this info. maybe that is the first place I should investigate.

The main problem as I see it is the extra medical coverage that Medicare doesn't provide for some things, co-pays that are impossible for poor people come up with. Some states and the govt offer extra help for much of that stuff. Whatever the state kicks in could be lost with a move to another state.

Chances are that "blue" states like California or Massachusetts will offer more extra stuff, but even California recently had to drop dentistry from its list of Medicaid services.

I know she doesnt have dental. I am still unsure of the medical

HOWEVER - so much is provided by Medicare and federal extra assistance, that for all practical purposes you don't need to worry about Medicaid or anything that changes by state.
You could almost certainly move her without it being a biggie, but of course it's a good idea to know for sure.
After thinking about what lenora said I am thinking that would not be a good idea, she actually does much better being many states away, but it is harder and very costly for me...and I dont have the bank account for that.

EDIT: oops, forgot to mention that it's possible she may have to change her Medicare part D insurance company. The feds subcontract with them to provide drug coverage. Her current company may or may not operate in your location. This is easy, she should have a card which provides the company's phone number for all questions, or her pharmacy would know.
Even if she had part D she would take any medication...the government would be poisoning her, I am thinking because her disability is a mental one it is much more complicated!
I very much appreciate eveyone imput here. You have given me a good amount of information to get started on! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement