U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 07:22 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,081,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pevco View Post
Hi, new to the forums. My wife and I have been spending time in Florida for years and are now ready to purchase a retirement home. We are looking for a newer, true 55 and over community that consists of single family homes that have units or plans available with a 3 car garage, not condominiums, mobile homes, or apartments. We don't golf so we're not interested in paying a premium for a community owned golf course. We do however want to be in a community with a pool, club house, and a lot of activities available, and a secure gated complex. Prefer a smaller community, nothing like The Villages. We do like the Vero Beach area but that is not a must, would prefer being no further north than Melbourne, don't want to be right on the ocean or golf, but less than one hour away from one or the other would be nice. We would start out spending 4 months each winter and work our way up to 7 months or even full time as we get older. We are currently retired, in our mid 60's and our price range would be in the $250/400,000.00 range.

Thanks for any advice.

Nick
This sounds like it could potentially be written by us as it describes exactly what I think we will be looking for in the future, although I don't know if it will be Florida or not. Having said that, we did look around the Tampa area last year when down there for a long weekend and was impressed with Valencia Lakes. No golf course, seems to fit this description well. We are a few years off from this but my hesitancy for us is its nice enough to be the only or primary residence and I'm not really sure if I want that main or primary home to be in Florida. What else I seemed to notice is while some places do have golf courses attached,mwhere is a separate fee for them so if you don't want it you aren't paying for someone else to play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 08:24 AM

4,281 posts, read 5,089,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
This sounds like it could potentially be written by us as it describes exactly what I think we will be looking for in the future, although I don't know if it will be Florida or not. Having said that, we did look around the Tampa area last year when down there for a long weekend and was impressed with Valencia Lakes. No golf course, seems to fit this description well. We are a few years off from this but my hesitancy for us is its nice enough to be the only or primary residence and I'm not really sure if I want that main or primary home to be in Florida. What else I seemed to notice is while some places do have golf courses attached,mwhere is a separate fee for them so if you don't want it you aren't paying for someone else to play.
The OP is not interested in a golf course but one comment about your post. One concern of those that want a golf course is will it still be there down the road. If the association has little to no control over it, it might be gone and the golfers that moved there for that reason are not happy campers. That has happened more then a few times.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:58 AM

19,350 posts, read 22,356,416 times
I have found this to be a good resource: Ideal Active Adult Communities | 55 Places

Hopefully the mods won't see it as a competing site and delete it.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:25 PM

18,717 posts, read 15,337,275 times
OP, are you at all interested in the Palm Coast area? I seem to recall there was a community called Las Palmas and one called Grand Landings that would fit your description. Might be worth looking into.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:05 PM

547 posts, read 517,939 times
I think there are a lot of communities build around golf courses where less than 25% of the residences play golf. You might look for a community that has the golf course finances separate from the HOA fees.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:04 AM

18,717 posts, read 15,337,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I think there are a lot of communities build around golf courses where less than 25% of the residences play golf. You might look for a community that has the golf course finances separate from the HOA fees.
Also, look for 55+ communities in more densely populated parts of the state, where the land available for projects like that is going to be much smaller. Developers who only have 10-20 acres of property available to build on will concentrate on homes and a clubhouse, but will be less likely to build a golf course.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:32 AM

8 posts, read 10,719 times
Thanks, I did a little research and Valencia Lakes looks like it could be a good fit. We'll be driving from LaBelle up to the New Port Ritchey area in Early March so that would be a good stop.

Nick

Old 12-16-2012, 02:25 PM

38 posts, read 48,899 times
I hope you don't overlook Ocala. It has many beautiful adult communities (some without golf and some where golf is a separate fee.) Oak Run is my favorite.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:20 PM

9,926 posts, read 9,632,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pevco View Post
Hi, new to the forums. My wife and I have been spending time in Florida for years and are now ready to purchase a retirement home. We are looking for a newer, true 55 and over community that consists of single family homes that have units or plans available with a 3 car garage, not condominiums, mobile homes, or apartments. We don't golf so we're not interested in paying a premium for a community owned golf course. We do however want to be in a community with a pool, club house, and a lot of activities available, and a secure gated complex. Prefer a smaller community, nothing like The Villages. We do like the Vero Beach area but that is not a must, would prefer being no further north than Melbourne, don't want to be right on the ocean or golf, but less than one hour away from one or the other would be nice. We would start out spending 4 months each winter and work our way up to 7 months or even full time as we get older. We are currently retired, in our mid 60's and our price range would be in the $250/400,000.00 range.

Thanks for any advice.

Nick
Valencia Lakes in Tampa, Florida - A GL Homes Community

Old 12-20-2012, 06:17 PM

8 posts, read 10,719 times
I'm going to back off Valencia Lakes as I read under another topic that it is an 80/20 community, not a true 55+ community. As far as my concern about not being in a community with a golf course it is that the cost of the homes seem to be higher because of that particular amenity. The Villages would be a good example of that.

Nick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement