Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 12:27 PM

8 posts, read 30,815 times

Advertisements

Hi, new to the forums. My wife and I have been spending time in Florida for years and are now ready to purchase a retirement home. We are looking for a newer, true 55 and over community that consists of single family homes that have units or plans available with a 3 car garage, not condominiums, mobile homes, or apartments. We don't golf so we're not interested in paying a premium for a community owned golf course. We do however want to be in a community with a pool, club house, and a lot of activities available, and a secure gated complex. Prefer a smaller community, nothing like The Villages. We do like the Vero Beach area but that is not a must, would prefer being no further north than Melbourne, don't want to be right on the ocean or golf, but less than one hour away from one or the other would be nice. We would start out spending 4 months each winter and work our way up to 7 months or even full time as we get older. We are currently retired, in our mid 60's and our price range would be in the $250/400,000.00 range.

Thanks for any advice.

Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 01:01 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Wish I could help, but I'm not an expert on FL and so don't have any advice to give. I thought I'd give the question a bump, though, so someone else who can help you sees it. This is a great question, BTW, and it's something I think a lot of people are seeking. So... as you continue to gather information, I hope you'll come back to this thread and post the results of your search. It would be very helpful to a lot of people.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:55 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
You'd probably do a lot better by posting in the Florida Forum.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/florida/
There are sub-forums for specific areas also.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:58 PM

3,609 posts, read 7,919,691 times
Sounds like a job for a (buyers') real estate agent.

Or you could haunt the realtor websites that allow access to MLS listings.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You'd probably do a lot better by posting in the Florida Forum.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/florida/
There are sub-forums for specific areas also.
Maybe.... although to be honest I've had extremely bad luck posting questions about 55+ communities on the city & state forums. Seriously, there have been a few times I've gotten interested in a city and made a dogged effort to get information from the corresponding forum--and gotten very little help. There have only been two forums that ended up having posters who could answer my questions, out of all the ones I've tried.

So give it a try, but if it doesn't help come back here and I think you'll have better luck finding someone who has answers for you.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:16 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pevco View Post
We are looking for a newer, true 55 and over community
...3 car garage, not condominiums, mobile homes, or apartments.
...we're not interested in paying a premium for a community owned golf course.
We do however want to be in a community with a pool, club house, and a lot of activities
I don't think it exists.
That new(er) construction, real (and large) homes, pool, club house, and a lot of activities...
is the gravy that comes with the golf course. Not the other way around.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:30 PM

We have lots of non-golf 55+ communities where I live. If only the OP was moving to Nova, I could steer him to several. There's one just 3 blocks from my house, and another about 2 miles down the road. Both are smaller 55+ communities (about 100 or so homes, pool, walking trails, & clubhouse). If Virginia has them, it makes sense that Florida would have them too.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:45 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I don't think it exists.
That new(er) construction, real (and large) homes, pool, club house, and a lot of activities...
is the gravy that comes with the golf course. Not the other way around.
In SC there are 3 Del Webb over 55 communities. Only one is built around golf courses (3 of them). The other two do not have golf courses but all have clubhouses, pools, and differing amenities.

I know the OP said FL but the point of my post is even from the same company, things are not all the same.

To add to this, most (actually all) will have Covenants, Deed Restrictions, Bylaws, House Rules, etc. so when a place sounds/looks good the next step is to get a copy of the "docs" to read, read, understand, understand before going beyond the looking stages. Need I repeat...read...understand...LOL

Old 12-14-2012, 04:58 PM

8 posts, read 30,815 times
I'm well aware of hoa by-laws, declarations, etc. they are not that hard to understand after you have been involved with a few of them and I agree, you must read them and ask questions before making your final decision. What I find dificult to locate are the "rules and regulations" that the boards can make and enforce without a vote of the membership these are usually discovered when you put a green door mat on your deck and find out they have to be brown, or you have a bumper sticker on your car and find that they are not allowed. Now that I think back to the power hungry boards that we've dealt with in the past, I might be having second thoughts.

Nick

Old 12-14-2012, 07:16 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,516,756 times
try this

Active Adult 55+ Communities | Active Retirement Community Guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement