Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 08:05 AM

487 posts, read 860,557 times

Advertisements

Are college towns a good place to "retire" if your around 50+ years old in terms of getting
a small job, health care, meeting people your own age etc.. If so which towns around the
midwest would someone recommend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 09:06 AM

1,566 posts, read 3,277,447 times
I don't know about college towns in general, because some might be charming small hamlets that seem appealing, but lack the jobs and medical community that you'd want. But I think some larger college towns would fit the bill quite nicely. Take a look at Columbia, Missouri.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:23 AM

92,669 posts, read 122,997,895 times
I think they can be, as they tend to have lower unemployment rates and there are things to do in a scaled down package. So, I think for those that want some things to do, but at a slower pace, college towns could or should be considered.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:20 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,953,463 times
I think it depends on the type of college towns. Many college towns have virtually nothing aside from the campus and amenities geared towards college students. However, there are some college towns that I think would be great places for retirees, such as Madison, Ann Arbor, Berkeley, Boulder, or Chapel Hill.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:40 AM

3,605 posts, read 7,887,395 times
If the town satisfies all your other requirements, a university in the area is a plus. A good library, access to some less expensive entertainment, etc. And some universities are associated with med schools and excellent hospitals.

FYI, once off campus Berkeley seems to mostly have older and sometimes retired people, who bought their houses back when the price was reasonable.

Of course, if you are easily irritated by young people a college town is something to avoid.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:06 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,476,638 times
Certainly, college/university towns/cities offer a lot of potential stimulation for the mind/body. Entertainment. Sports. Learning opportunities. But I'm thinking that if finding a job is a priority than you'd be competing with the younger college-aged persons looking for part-time work as well. Some of these places have fantastic medical facilities, especially so when there are teaching facilities associated. I'm familiar with many of the college towns in Iowa. I also lived in Tucson, where the U of A is. And I live in a college/university town ... now. Chicago.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:31 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,177,454 times
Iowa City

University of Iowa: Excellent medical facilities/teaching hospital, and continuing to build and expand on campus and into the community. Cute downtown. Is also well known for its Writer's Workshop.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:41 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
beyond the midwest...(my choices, since I don't go east of Missouri River in summer heat);
Las Cruces, NM is a fine place for a small city wth college. As is
Ft Collins, Boulder, Carbondale, Durango, CO.
Logan and Cedar City, UT.
Moscow, ID.
Flagstaff, AZ,
San Luis Obispo, and Chico, CA

Lincoln, NE gets pretty high marks, but NE is not senior TAX friendly.

I also enjoyed a week in South Bend, IN (Notre Dame). I 'guest housed' with retired ND staff who really enjoy their volunteer work and association with U. I got a great, private, 4 hr tour!

There are many benefits to College town, BUT PT jobs can be in tough to get, and pay less. Great idea to TEACH or provide services to the U.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:19 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,342,669 times
It can be really good if the there is a major med school at the uni.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:12 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,876,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
It can be really good if the there is a major med school at the uni.
And this is often the case. I've lived in both Burlington, VT and Madison, WI, both of which have large medical centers with state medical schools close by...

They can be great places to live, and possibly even better to retire to..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement