Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 12:06 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
I bet that's that comedian that I can't stand. She did New Years eve with Anderson Cooper. Is that her? good lord, if so, all that surgery paid off. There isn't much real left on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 12:10 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Kathy Griffin.
That's the one. Now that she's remade herself, she's a cougar, likes em young.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:30 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
good lord, if so, all that surgery paid off. There isn't much real left on that one.
I don't understand this. Just imo, Kathy Griffin, as evidenced in this pic (which has been widely circulated), could reasonably be presented as an argument NOT to have cosmetic surgery.
I'm actually a fan of her wit (well, not the latest Anderson Cooper fiasco), but not at all of her desperate attempts to look young.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:42 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
I do have friends who have had very discreet plastic surgery procedures...a little lift or tuck...nothing dramatic or invasive. The results are subtle but definitely an improvement. I could never do that but I can see why some would. The trick is finding a really good and qualified plastic surgeon.

Remember the scene in "It's Complicated" where Meryl Streep is trying to discretely hold up her sagging eyelid?

Old 01-11-2013, 03:55 AM

36,412 posts, read 16,020,348 times
I have very little grey as does my Dad who is 83. I'm constantly changing my hair as an ex hairdresser. When I was unemployed I made a point to get it done to appear younger, like who is going to hire a 60 yr old? I will probably always color or highlight my hair foreverrrr!!

Old 01-11-2013, 06:37 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Well--I've decided to do it! I've decided to be a "Beauty Renegade" like Jamie Lee Curtis, go grey and see what happens.

It's funny how we end up making a decision like this. Going natural was just a flicker of a thought in the back of my mind, but it didn't become a full flame of an idea until I started reading this thread. And also the post in another thread thread about how women are afraid to be roommates because "people might think they're lesbians." Both of those posts woke up a rebellious voice inside me... am I really going to let "what people think" bully me when it comes to something that should be a personal choice?

And that little thought kicked off an interesting chain reaction:

1) It woke up the free spirit I used to be in college. Back then I made a point of not letting society tell me how to wear my hair--why do it now?

Back then I used to have a t-shirt that said "When I Am An Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple." Letting my hair go natural is my version of wearing purple. It's a statement that now that I'm old, I'm free to express myself!

I'm retired, and that means I can look however I want. Do I need to look a certain way to get a job anymore? Fortunately, no--I'm free now. Do I care about impressing my boss? Do I care what anyone besides my husband thinks? No! I can feel that college girl I used to be applauding--and I enjoy the irony that by choosing to look older, the result is I feel younger.

2) In addition to wakening the college girl I used to be, I've also intrigued my "inner scientist." I want to use this as an experiment, to find our if there's any truth in the notion that grey hair can result in a person being marginalized. The only way to find out is to try it. I might even take the experiment a step further and color it again just to see if coloring hair magically gives me more power. There's ony one way to find out.

3) I wanted something a little dramatic to do to kick off my retirement, something that would make a statement about starting the next phase of my life. Being a Hair Color Renegade seems appealing to me. So I've made the appointment. April 1 (seemed like a fun day to do something like this) and in the meantime I'll let the old color wear off a little. Gotta try it, just to see if I would like it.

FWIW, here's Jamie Lee Curtis before and after. I think she looks great!
http://theview.abc.go.com/blog/jamie...ay-hair-do-you

Last edited by Caladium; 01-11-2013 at 07:02 AM..

Old 01-11-2013, 08:42 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Well--I've decided to do it! I've decided to be a "Beauty Renegade" like Jamie Lee Curtis, go grey and see what happens.

It's funny how we end up making a decision like this. Going natural was just a flicker of a thought in the back of my mind, but it didn't become a full flame of an idea until I started reading this thread. And also the post in another thread thread about how women are afraid to be roommates because "people might think they're lesbians." Both of those posts woke up a rebellious voice inside me... am I really going to let "what people think" bully me when it comes to something that should be a personal choice?

And that little thought kicked off an interesting chain reaction:

1) It woke up the free spirit I used to be in college. Back then I made a point of not letting society tell me how to wear my hair--why do it now?

Back then I used to have a t-shirt that said "When I Am An Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple." Letting my hair go natural is my version of wearing purple. It's a statement that now that I'm old, I'm free to express myself!

I'm retired, and that means I can look however I want. Do I need to look a certain way to get a job anymore? Fortunately, no--I'm free now. Do I care about impressing my boss? Do I care what anyone besides my husband thinks? No! I can feel that college girl I used to be applauding--and I enjoy the irony that by choosing to look older, the result is I feel younger.

2) In addition to wakening the college girl I used to be, I've also intrigued my "inner scientist." I want to use this as an experiment, to find our if there's any truth in the notion that grey hair can result in a person being marginalized. The only way to find out is to try it. I might even take the experiment a step further and color it again just to see if coloring hair magically gives me more power. There's ony one way to find out.

3) I wanted something a little dramatic to do to kick off my retirement, something that would make a statement about starting the next phase of my life. Being a Hair Color Renegade seems appealing to me. So I've made the appointment. April 1 (seemed like a fun day to do something like this) and in the meantime I'll let the old color wear off a little. Gotta try it, just to see if I would like it.

FWIW, here's Jamie Lee Curtis before and after. I think she looks great!
The View | Featured | Jamie Lee Curtis Embraces Her Gray Hair -- Do You?
Good for you! Plus, these days it has become far more fashionable to go gray, I have read articles like "gray is the new blonde", etc. Be sure to give it a full chance, you can't see how it looks until you really commit to letting it grow out. You may love it more than you ever realized.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:12 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I had a purple streak in my hair, maybe 10 years ago - loved the vibrant color. Although, just as I have trouble with regular hair dye, the purple streak faded very quickly. If I wanted it to stay, it had to be redone at least every 3 weeks or so. I was having it done at a professional salon with a good reputation, too. Since the streak area was what would have been bangs, it was easy to get rid of when I got tired of it.

Would I rather have my natural auburn back than silver grey? Yes, because then I could have the wavy bouncy texture back, too. But I am not willing to go through dyeing and perms to get that back. Too much trouble, hassle and expense. I'm fortunate, though, to have a "cool" silver gray tone, though, not "warmer" blond-grey, because I don't have the skin tone for yellow/brass. There are rinses (not the right word, I forget what they are called) that slightly tint the color to change the tone (but not the general color).

Old 01-11-2013, 11:47 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,384 times
Funny, I have a acquaintance who is somewhat older than me, probably around 70. She keeps her hair fairly short and curly, and dyes it a pinky-purple. Not the old-fashioned "blue rinse", but purple. She's a bit crazy, but likes to be seen as being eccentric I think.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:49 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Y'all do realize, of course, that this entire thread is predicated on the premise that we all still have hair. False!

Edted to add: Nose and ear hair don't count!

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 01-11-2013 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: a
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement