Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 08:59 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Some women look very nice with gray hair. I am not one of them, nor are most women I know. Gray is extremely aging. Maybe 2 out of 10 women look good with gray hair. The rest just look old. Dead giveaway on age. No thanks. Plus, when my hair is gray I need a lot more makeup than when it's colored. Since I rarely bother with makeup anymore, coloring my hair every 4/5 weeks is easier all the way around.
Agree with everything you said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 09:31 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,966,637 times
Hair just has a color. Pick one - yellow, black, brown, grey, tan, white. Choosing which haircolor to maintain is no different than choosing what color outfit looks best on you. Grey does not look good on me, nor does white, or yellow (blonde). With my northern Italian/French coloring, auburn (not red), my real hair color, looks best with my complexion and my European features, and that is the color I will maintain for the rest of my life, even if I should start to go grey. Think of your hair as a mat around a framed picture. What color looks best on you? There is no intrinsic value or meaning in the answer. Only aesthetics.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:42 AM

11,772 posts, read 5,787,833 times
I allowed my hair to go gray after I was layed off to save on money. My husband who is gray - turning white - was thrilled that I no longer looked like his daughter! I've had many compliments with the shade and am not unhappy with it - but I do feel I look older. It's going to be a struggle tho - when and if I finally do get a face to face interview for a new job. I'll probably color it to appear a bit younger as I already have too many things against me - age 55, long term unemployed, and the extra pounds I've packed on since I was layed off - that's just the way things are these days!

Old 01-09-2013, 05:08 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,650,355 times
I use hair dye and it's so natural to my color I forget I'm coloring it. I look better w/ my brown/auburn hair than grey. The one I use is supposed to be less "toxic," by comparisons done (Herbatint).

Old 01-09-2013, 05:18 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,010,226 times
I've had light blonde hair all my life, and it's been graying for the last few years. I took some pictures recently and I look like I'm as old as dirt. I have colored my hair maybe a half dozen times over the years and am planning on cutting off about 6-8, it's long, and dying it this week. I hate dying my hair but at least I'll get a different look for a month or so. Not sure if I will continue to do it though. My mom always kept hers light blonde but I'm looking more to a darker blonde.
Anyone who buys hair color and does it themselves-be sure the color in the box is what it's supposed to be. Years ago I had an asst. who bought the dye and returned to work the next day with coal black hair, it was suposed to be auburn. Someone had nothing better to do than switch the colors in the boxes! Can't believe she didn't notice.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:09 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,426 times
Best decision I ever made was to stop coloring my hair when I turned 50. I get compliments all the time. My striations are my own. No one can copy them. It's my trademark. I feel much more confident than when my hair was maroon, mahogany, or whatever, always too dark or too red or too light. And I don't have to sit in a beauty parlor for what seems like half my waking hours.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:37 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,550 times
I consider I'm helping the local economy by having my hair colored. When I did
it myself I got some really unusual colors. Brassy orange, blonde streaks, really off. So now I go to a professional. My sisters are grey and I don't want to look like that!

Old 01-09-2013, 07:01 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
I personally love gray hair. I colored mine for years and then let it grow out, although I still have a bit of henna toward the bottom, and really only have some "stripes" and sprinkles of gray in my brown hair. I believe it's more important to have shiny healthy looking hair whatever the color. And I also believe in "aging" naturally. I never thought someone coloring their hair was "fooling" anyone.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:06 AM

207 posts, read 566,027 times
Maybe when I'm 80

Old 01-09-2013, 07:21 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
I debate once in awhile about whether I should color my hair. But, it has always been so many different colors naturally...it seems to change w/ the seasons. So, mosty I am afraid of the commitment of time and money, and one color...Also, those dreaded roots in between. So, I will probably just let it continue to grey...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement