Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 09:31 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,509,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
For me, the one thing that is most mandatory by the time one reaches 60 is to relax and destress if we want to live at least another 10 years. Any form of exercise, good nutrition (avoiding junk food), socialization, and taking time for things is advisable. It can get overwhelming making decisions on finances, Medicare and supplemental, wills and trusts and LTC concerns and all that, causing us to miss what's even more important in life. Stress also contributes to so many illnesses and disease. Relaxation is my primary concern. I'm putting it first.

Someone once told me that in the traditional Chinese culture age 60 signifies rededication to life.

"In Chinese culture, 60 years makes a cycle of a life and 61 is regarded as the beginning of a new life cycle....It is an age to be proud of.....Traditionally, Chinese people do not pay a lot of attention to birthdays until they are 60 years old. The 60th birthday is regarded as a very important point of life and therefore there is often a big celebration. After that, a birthday celebration is held every ten years, that is the 70th, the 80th, etc, until the person's death. Generally, the older the person is, the greater the celebration occasion is."
I was talking to a friend the other day and he said try to stay away from stress. It was one
of his mandatory things for peace of mind. I'd have to learn meditation I think.
I agree with your post on the Chinese; a good way to traverse life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 09:59 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I was talking to a friend the other day and he said try to stay away from stress.
I absolutely agree. Excessive angst can kill you a lot more quickly than too much sugar or salt, IMO.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:19 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I absolutely agree. Excessive angst can kill you a lot more quickly than too much sugar or salt, IMO.
And today I received a call from one of my nieces. My oldest living brother has 2 months before Alzheimer's takes him. Sometimes not stressing isn't an option.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:02 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And today I received a call from one of my nieces. My oldest living brother has 2 months before Alzheimer's takes him. Sometimes not stressing isn't an option.
I am so sorry to hear this, Tek. I was not aware that you can die from Alzheimers (I know little about it). With all the stress and grief around losing a loved one, it's all the more important that you have outlets. Probably your remodeling is helping. But also long walks or other serene activities are good to build into the day. It's amazing to me to have hit 60, so gratitude is playing a big role in my life right now.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:12 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Oh man. I wish there was an emoticon to express deep sympathy. Words aren't enough to tell you how sorry I'm sure we all are to hear this. That's a hard way to go. You're right that sometimes stress is something we can't avoid.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I am so sorry to hear this, Tek. I was not aware that you can die from Alzheimers (I know little about it). With all the stress and grief around losing a loved one, it's all the more important that you have outlets. Probably your remodeling is helping. But also long walks or other serene activities are good to build into the day. It's amazing to me to have hit 60, so gratitude is playing a big role in my life right now.
It also killed my oldest brother. Makes wonder if the third eldest would have had it if he'd lived long enough. This does not bode well for my sister, other brother, or me.

It's my understanding that you eventually forget how to breathe. I've not studied it too much (for obvious reasons), but that's what I've seen mentioned a number of times.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Oh man. I wish there was an emoticon to express deep sympathy. Words aren't enough to tell you how sorry I'm sure we all are to hear this. That's a hard way to go. You're right that sometimes stress is something we can't avoid.
Words express it quite well. Thank you and NEG both.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:59 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
It also killed my oldest brother. Makes wonder if the third eldest would have had it if he'd lived long enough. This does not bode well for my sister, other brother, or me.

It's my understanding that you eventually forget how to breathe. I've not studied it too much (for obvious reasons), but that's what I've seen mentioned a number of times.
I'm reading that there are a few things that we can do to fight A's disease, including certain kinds of supplements (to fight plaque) and exercise. It may or may not help in the end but it's worth a try. I personally do not know anyone who's had it but I can only imagine the suffering also for the family.

This is the author of Still Alice, whose book I've yet to read (it's on my list). It may contain some helpful info (I'm sure there's lots of books out there; this one is a researched novel):
Still Alice

I think that when one approaches age 55-60, we ought to know a little about this as the incidence is impressive.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:14 AM

His wife has Dementia and is having a difficult time as well. Their daughters are going through the process of bringing them close to home.

It's not going to be easy. He is no longer coherent and doesn't know who anyone is. This seems to have come upon him rather quickly. It wasn't that long ago I was (trying to) helping him with his computer over the phone. He was forgetting words and had some trouble tracking, but in general he seemed lucid.

All this brings up a possible "mandatory at age 60" or maybe somewhat later. Making arrangements for the possibility of a debilitating disease.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:34 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,509,499 times
Quote:
You are right! You would have to live in a bubble to avoid stress.
I went on a walk to regain my harmony (even left my cell home), but didn't work.

I had no idea that Alzheimer's causes people to forget to breathe.

Debilitating diseases should definitely be taken into account after 60.
Hopefully a POA or LW helps with these possibilities.
Thinking of you and sending positive thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement