Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 01:09 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times

Advertisements

[quote=golfingduo;28275272]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwretired View Post
Have you checked whether your pension will be offset. Have lots of friends who were very surprised when this happened to them. There are 2 - Government Pension Offset and Windfall Elimination Program. Here is some info on one of them:

The Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) quote]

I stopped at that so no one had to read through your explanation and mine. I will not be hit by the Windfall provision. I was not part of the CSRS. I contributed to SSA the entire time. That is what makes the difference. I will though be hit with the offset. That will amount to a couple hundred per month I think but my current pay out according to SSA is 2159 per month at 62 and more at 66. It all is subject to change. I am still earning my way. I have at least 4 more years I hope. It will not add much to the pensions but it will to my savings. My pensions are pretty much set. In a month I will know a lot more. I am going to a pre retirement seminar for employees within 5 years of retirement. When I do if I get new information I will start a new thread here for anyone that are in FERS. CSRS people are almost fazed out in my office and I wont know much about them.

I am still pretty sure I will be right near those numbers when it is all said and done. Again those are pretax numbers. To add to that. I will have a windfall though from the sale of my two homes and business. I should probably be able to pay cash for any home I buy. I do plan on moving to a low cost of living state and a state where housing prices are lower and I am buying a smaller house.
Best of luck in your moving forward. Are you in the DC area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 01:13 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,090,056 times
[quote=TuborgP;28275463]
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post

Best of luck in your moving forward. Are you in the DC area?

Nope currently in Massachusetts. Looking into moving south to states like TX NC FL MS LA AZ.

Thanks for the wishes. I will need all of them. Until I retire all of this is concept to me.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:24 PM

357 posts, read 1,019,300 times
retired in 2004
2004-2006 life is short $10,000 per month.
2007-2009 where is my saving goes $ 5000.
2010-2012 i am still alive ?. $3000.
2013 - i live to long $ 2400.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabanaki View Post
retired in 2004
I think I get your meaning. I am not sure this will apply to me but I will take that into consideration.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:39 PM

[quote=golfingduo;28275505]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post

Nope currently in Massachusetts. Looking into moving south to states like TX NC FL MS LA AZ.

Thanks for the wishes. I will need all of them. Until I retire all of this is concept to me.
Depending on where you are coming from in Mass especially a high cost/income area like Boston you will find some of your destination areas cheaper than Cost of Living Calculators might indicate. I can speak of NC. Most of the calculators I used to compare cost of living assumed a working lifestyle in each place. You will be going from working in one place to retirement in another. You may well find a retirement lifestyle in your new home to be a greater discount compared to a retirementl lifestyle in Mass.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:45 PM

[quote=TuborgP;28275792]
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post

Depending on where you are coming from in Mass especially a high cost/income area like Boston you will find some of your destination areas cheaper than Cost of Living Calculators might indicate. I can speak of NC. Most of the calculators I used to compare cost of living assumed a working lifestyle in each place. You will be going from working in one place to retirement in another. You may well find a retirement lifestyle in your new home to be a greater discount compared to a retirementl lifestyle in Mass.

You are absolutely correct. Right now it is TX for me due to the many air bases that I can still fly space available with my wife to destinations that I have not been to like England or Italy. There is also a naval base there to do the same where the air force dont fly. There is the commisary and base exchanges. It could change as I get closer and I might chose another location. Still being a senior and a military retiree will help make my savings go a long way. I expect it will be a boon to my one and only daughter provided my wife and my health stays good. As a war vet I guess I can get some medical help anyway so that helps.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:52 PM

[quote=golfingduo;28275856]
Quote:

You are absolutely correct. Right now it is TX for me due to the many air bases that I can still fly space available with my wife to destinations that I have not been to like England or Italy. There is also a naval base there to do the same where the air force dont fly. There is the commisary and base exchanges. It could change as I get closer and I might chose another location. Still being a senior and a military retiree will help make my savings go a long way. I expect it will be a boon to my one and only daughter provided my wife and my health stays good. As a war vet I guess I can get some medical help anyway so that helps.
Wow, great for you. Would I be correct in assuming that in NC you were looking at the Fayettville area?

Old 02-16-2013, 02:03 PM

I am responding to golfing domain the above post

Old 02-16-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I am responding to golfing domain the above post

I am not sure. I saw that Raleigh Durham was good and I did see that Fayetteville was also pretty good.

Oh and to Lee Travino, if you are on here I would love to have a round with you just to get some of the stories.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:43 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabanaki View Post
retired in 2004
OK, we're getting into silly territory, here. Why did you think you'd only live ten years after retirement and spend so freely, so that now you're down to $2,400/mo?

Second, no way will this scenario apply to golfing duo and people like him. Joint retirement income alone will exceed $100k/year even with govt offset, plus no mortgage. Then, there are those pesky RMDs, if his/wife's 401k/IRAs aren't Roths. GD's biggest problem in retirement will be federal income taxes - certainly not a lack of income. GD can expect to live very nicely with money to spare - and will be more occupied with being a proper steward of his assets which will continue to grow, rather than spending them. Having money has its own set of responsibilities - if you respect it, that is.

My retirement income is only about $45k, which includes SS, rental income, RMDs, minuscule pension (5% of final year's salary after 26 years of employment - thank you greedy corporate America!). Biggest mistake of my life, hands down, was choosing private sector employment. I spend most of that $45k, as I have a mortgage, high property taxes ($6k), and maintenance on a large 73 y/o house. Moving not an option. Hang on to my capital for dear life, however. Kill the goose, give up the golden eggs.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 02-16-2013 at 03:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement