Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2013, 06:13 AM

37,769 posts, read 40,902,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Last time I checked we all live our own lives.
Obviously, he's not happy about it otherwise why bring it up at all?

Did you read this part of his post?

"Now that I am old and retired I never thought it would be this way. I pictured we would have a more active retirement with tons of things to do and great times with friends."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 07:25 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,258,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

"Now that I am old and retired I never thought it would be this way. I pictured we would have a more active retirement with tons of things to do and great times with friends."
I think the OP was using that as a rhetorical construct--projecting what others may be feeling and hoping that his projection would create discussion as to whether or not this is an accurate assessment of how many folks deal with retirement.

I don't think he was describing his own life circumstances. Read his other posts.

He sure did get some discussion started, lol.

The interesting aspect has been how much of a nerve this topic seems to have touched.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:23 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,394,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

Likely a common lament if health, finances, poor choice of locations, etc. get in the way of an idyllic retirement. Venting can be cathartic.

Yes Laura, I read it - comprehended it even.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:47 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,015,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
He sure did get some discussion started, lol.
My take is that this was the main objective of all his threads. Not sure if I believe the OP is for real or not, the threads do have the sound of someone trying to spark a conversation who may just be role playing. But that's ok, I like conversation so was happy to oblige.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
My take is that this was the main objective of all his threads. Not sure if I believe the OP is for real or not, the threads do have the sound of someone trying to spark a conversation who may just be role playing. But that's ok, I like conversation so was happy to oblige.
My thoughts exactly -- down to the role-playing. I, too, was happy to oblige as it turned into a very lively and interesting discussion.

I imagined a grad student working towards a degree in gerontology, and drawing on his observations to come up with topics that he thought would elicit some valuable insight and discussion.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:02 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,394,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Agreed wherein the issue was discussed rather than the poster.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Agreed wherein the issue was discussed rather than the poster.
^ ^ ^ Agreed.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:52 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,169,841 times
I guess where you choose to live/retire has a lot to do with it. I am well past retirement age and live in an afforable vacation/retirement area. I by choice work a seasonal job so I don't have to sit around all day. In my community there is something going on for the old folks almost everyday year around. Asisde from the organized activities many of us enjoy walking (with or without dogs) along the bay and paths through our community. My suggestion would be move. I'm not trying to be mean but there is a better life.. Google my screen name it's a great community.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:18 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,942,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post
Now that I am old and retired I never thought it would be this way. I pictured we would have a more active retirement with tons of things to do and great times with friends. It has not worked out as planned for me or the many people I see at the large Regional Shopping Mall near my home.

Just to get out of the house many of us arrive at the mall when it opens at 10 AM and go to the same area and sit there for hours watching people.

Back when I was younger I used to envy the older folks who had a completely open schedule and could do anything they wanted all day when I had to go off to work. Now I look at the business men and women all dressed up so nice, laughing and enjoying themselves and their friends and coworkers, on their way to a business lunch at one of the many eating establishments that cater to the business people from the many office buildings near by. They have such a sense of purpose. Our gang (the retired folks) who spends their day sitting around near the Food Court waiting for something to happen- does not. Yes, we should be doing something more important, but we are not. We are just sitting in the mall killing time. Fellow retirees can you relate?
Life is whatever you make of it. Nobody's going to do it for you.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:50 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,694,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Instead of sitting there, get up and walk the mall at a quick clip. You should feel a whole lot better then.
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement