Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 06:54 AM

281 posts, read 750,305 times

Advertisements

Now that I am old and retired I never thought it would be this way. I pictured we would have a more active retirement with tons of things to do and great times with friends. It has not worked out as planned for me or the many people I see at the large Regional Shopping Mall near my home.

Just to get out of the house many of us arrive at the mall when it opens at 10 AM and go to the same area and sit there for hours watching people.

Back when I was younger I used to envy the older folks who had a completely open schedule and could do anything they wanted all day when I had to go off to work. Now I look at the business men and women all dressed up so nice, laughing and enjoying themselves and their friends and coworkers, on their way to a business lunch at one of the many eating establishments that cater to the business people from the many office buildings near by. They have such a sense of purpose. Our gang (the retired folks) who spends their day sitting around near the Food Court waiting for something to happen- does not. Yes, we should be doing something more important, but we are not. We are just sitting in the mall killing time. Fellow retirees can you relate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Can't say that I relate. If you don't like what you're doing with your time, do something else.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:00 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
I'm not able to relate to your lifestyle since, 1) Have never enjoyed shopping or hanging out at the mall, and 2) When I was working (dressed up, etc.) I was not 'happy'.

Besides retired folks, you have (no doubt) also observed many 'moms' spending large amounts of time at the mall pushing their little ones around in a stroller.

Have been retired now for two years and not for one minute do I regret retiring; I love my emotional and physical freedom. The only reason I worked for nearly 50 years was to support my vices: eating and a roof over my head.

It's up to each person (retired or not) to decide how to spend their free time.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
In Greece I noticed town squares where the old people met each day to chat and play with their worry beads...

Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Sounds like a good way for you to get out of the house and not feel isolated. Have you struck up any friendships with fellow mall goers? Have you enjoyed making up stories (and writing them down) about people you see walking by? Do you bring your lunch and offer to share your dessert with someone sitting nearby?

Old 01-17-2013, 07:20 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Have you enjoyed making up stories
LOL LOL I suspect the answer to this is "yes"....

Old 01-17-2013, 07:40 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post
Yes, we should be doing something more important, but we are not. We are just sitting in the mall killing time. Fellow retirees can you relate?
No, not in the least. Moreover, I have absolutely no sympathy for people who choose to live their lives that way and then complain about it. I might have less contempt if the reason for doing so was financial and the retiree claimed that they had no money to do anything else. But that clearly is not the case for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post
When I was younger, I never saved up enough money for retirement and thought that once I turned 62 I would be forced to live mostly on Social Security, but that changed with the death of a close relative. She left me a large farm which we lease out and now live a very comfortable life financially from the proceeds.
So take your sob story and go commiserate with your group killing time at the mall.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:00 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
I can't relate at all. I don't understand why you're complaining. Makes no sense at all. Go do something else.

Are you waiting for the world to amuse you ? Not going to happen. Make your own amusement. Find things that interest you- TAKE THE INITIATIVE . Life is not a TV set, where you sit back and watch a screen.

Life is to be lived. Give back to your community, volunteer your time or read through Meetups.com- find an interest in something, get your body moving. Hanging around doing nothing rots both the body and the mind. Plant a garden, build something, be a foster grandparent mentor ( Like Big Brothers/ Big Sisters ). The list is endless. You find meaning only in the life of people going to work ? Then put meaning in your life- work has nothing to do with it.

Boring people are bored. It's not retirement doing this to you, it's you doing it to yourself. Good luck

Old 01-17-2013, 08:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Sorry, I can't relate at all. I'm so busy now with my pet projects I wondered how I managed to work full time all these years and still get stuff done

If you are not happy with how your life is going then it's your choice to change it.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:08 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Instead of sitting there, get up and walk the mall at a quick clip. You should feel a whole lot better then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement