U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 09:20 AM

154 posts, read 86,115 times

Advertisements

Just curious how many folks (especially single retirees) plan on cooking more during retirement and why. Before you answer, try to look beyond your current situation in regards to health and finances... keeping in mind things will change as you age.

And for those planning on moving to a retirement community, would you be more apt to eat out and socialize if the community had several on premise restaurants offering quality meals featuring smaller portion sizes and lower cost as opposed to a community style eating arrangement or venturing out into the local communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 10:24 AM

4,255 posts, read 8,315,156 times
Well, most of us on here ARE retired, so we can answer this in the present tense instead of hypothetical future tense.

We chose to retire to a scenic rural area outside of a small town. There aren't really any good restaurants in town, so we cook at home, which saves us money. We eat out when we travel to larger cities. We have no intention, now or ever, of moving to a retirement community (outside of a potential small second winter home).

Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 AM

18,717 posts, read 15,672,488 times
I ate out a lot when I was in my 20s. Since my 30s I've cooked most days and only go out to eat for special occasions, maybe 5-10 times a year. And even when we go out, it's usually just for lunch with friends or because we're out of town. I expect that will continue about the same.

If I lived in a retirement community, I might eat out in a restaurant to be with a group of friends--but probably not more than once a month.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:49 AM

4,281 posts, read 5,247,502 times
For years my wife and I (no children) ate out more evenings then we ate at home. Once we both retired, we started cooking more at home. One reason is I like to have a drink or two before dinner and what with the drunk driving laws and cost of drinks, it is more enjoyable to do so at home.

We lean toward meals that take no more then 45 minutes from start to on the table. Last night we had Filet Mignons (I grilled them), Bob Evans prepared mashed potatoes, a prepared salad, and Marie Callander Lemon Meringue pie. We also bring home food like chinese, prepared grocery store takeout meals, roasted chickens, etc.

As we use alot of convienence foods (prepared salads, Bob Evans prepared mashed potatoes, etc.) we are not looking at eating home as a cost savings, but as a convienence.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:04 AM

4,071 posts, read 13,391,852 times
When working and busy we ate out 20% of the time but now that we are retired we cook and eat at home 99% of the time.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:43 AM

554 posts, read 538,515 times
I think there will be more eating at home to improve our diets. But any opportunity to eat out with another couple will be appreciated. We just won't be eating out by ourselves as much.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:07 PM

23,901 posts, read 19,988,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTYD View Post
Just curious how many folks (especially single retirees) plan on cooking more during retirement and why. Before you answer, try to look beyond your current situation in regards to health and finances... keeping in mind things will change as you age.

And for those planning on moving to a retirement community, would you be more apt to eat out and socialize if the community had several on premise restaurants offering quality meals featuring smaller portion sizes and lower cost as opposed to a community style eating arrangement or venturing out into the local communities.
Been retired five years and doing more cooking than ever. When we first retired we ate frequently but that now has become much more of a rarity as we are now really into quality and darn good meals at home on a regular basis. There are a number of things we make better than any restuarant.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:50 PM

543 posts, read 383,876 times
i eat at home most of the time, but use a lot of convenience foods, and generally keep it as easy as possible. i do like eating out , have a good variety of restaurants within about 20 minutes, and when i do eat out, it's often for lunch.

my plan is probably a retirement community at some point, and i'd definitely eat in their dining romm a couple of times a week. most communities i've looked at have a meal plan built in for a minimum number of meals in their facility on a monthly basis. socialization is important and eating in a communal setting probably enhances that, but the bottom line is i don't, and have never liked to cook, even though i did for thirty years.

catsy girl

Old 01-17-2013, 02:40 PM

4,255 posts, read 8,315,156 times
One of the things I like about cooking now is NOT using "convenience" foods (other than my own frozen items) - about as far as I go is using commercial stocks and broths. I don't buy packaged mixes or frozen foods. True, it takes 20 minutes to 2 hours to put dinner on the table - often longer with a slow cooker or overnight marinade. I do buy sandwich bread and the occasional carton of Ben and Jerry's.

The spouse likes making beer and bread, so he handles most of that.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:06 PM

878 posts, read 1,123,021 times
We will cook at home about the same, but it will be more of a joint project. It is heading that way now.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement