U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 05:01 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,843,680 times

Advertisements

Half the relatives live in one area of the country and half in another area. Unless people decide to die in the same place where their burial plot is, there is going to be travel involved.
I'm told the two funeral homes would work together if the deceased needed to be transported out of state.

Anyone had a family burial plot and decided to be buried near your non blood family verus being buried with blood relatives?

Since no one is likely to die in the city of burial plots if they live a few states away, has anyone made the choice to be buried elsewhere so not have the need for relatives to travel long distances?

How did your loved one decide whether to have open casket or closed with photos on the casket?

I had an uncle who passed away up in and he asked to be cremated because he did not want anyone walking by looking at him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 05:10 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,147,825 times
We plan to be cremated and put in containers. We have a beautiful porcelain Sugar cannister from Switzerland that hubby insisted on buying b/c the script on the "z" looks like an "F" . . . Zucker. He wants to be put in the Zucker Jar (only he refers to it as the . . . well, your imagination can fill in the blanks).

I have a beautiful brass ginger jar and that will be my final resting place. However, we have provisions that whomever ends up with our ashes is welcome to sprinkle them out into the universe from atop our favorite mountain.

Come see me while I am alive. I agree with your uncle.

Last edited by brokensky; 01-18-2013 at 05:22 PM..

Old 01-18-2013, 05:30 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
Cremated, urned (they frown on mayonnaise jars) and buried under a two-sided (one for each of us) headstone in the closest national veterans cemetary. No viewing. Cheap efficient. "Reservations" already made and confirmed. The Ozarks are home and where we intend to stay. No family here so no pomp or ceremony required.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 01-18-2013 at 05:43 PM..

Old 01-18-2013, 05:35 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,843,680 times
Deceased relative bought a plot for everyone. Now, one is considering selling their's to be buried 400 miles away with their spouse and step kids, etc.
Another relative thought it was to prevent travel. It seems to me that it does not prevent travel. One part of the family will have to travel no matter which.
So, my comment to them was that it should be a personal decision, not based on travel.
They either want to be buried with their parents, or they want to be buried with their spouse and step kids. Why they don't want to be buried with their parents, well, not sure, that's up to them.

Anyone face that decision?

Old 01-18-2013, 05:36 PM

5,356 posts, read 16,342,402 times
Cremation and urns here. Mom bought all the kids and spouses a spot in the family plot, but my wife thinks she'll suffocate being buried underground. We also won't have any services either.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:40 PM

7,289 posts, read 15,342,559 times
Do not stick me in the ground to rot. Burn me, put me on the mantle in a wooden box next to my two beloved dogs. I've already told the spouse he is going to be in a box on my desk in my office so I can talk to him during the day.

I wish my parents had both chosen to have some of their ashes preserved instead of scattered.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:45 PM

688 posts, read 864,170 times
i have no interest in open casket or burial plot. i want to be cremated. the significant other wants burial, probably in veterans cemetery,and he would like us to be buried together. i've told him he can have my ashes buried with him, as long as he buries my husband's ashes and those of my cats with us as well. he's fine with that.
neither of us has family, so there is no need for any fuss.

catsy girl

Old 01-18-2013, 05:47 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I wish my parents had both chosen to have some of their ashes preserved instead of scattered.
I understand. Both my parents were cremated then scattered at sea with no memorial, no notice, no nothing. It left a hole. At least my wife and I (what's left) will be "somewhere" accessible to family.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:47 PM

55,647 posts, read 74,595,623 times
i have decided that i have lead and imperfect life with plenty of mistakes and flaws but overall attempted to be fair and generous with others. therefore i deserve a cremation & burial. its prepaid.
this is a small detail i do not entrust to family as i have seen many a y generation kid pocket the 5000 dollars burial fee and scatter the ashes of dear old dad.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 01-18-2013 at 05:56 PM..

Old 01-18-2013, 05:58 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Do not stick me in the ground to rot. Burn me, put me on the mantle in a wooden box next to my two beloved dogs. I've already told the spouse he is going to be in a box on my desk in my office so I can talk to him during the day.

Some folks are now having their ashes turned into jewelry or paperweights. Big business these days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or