Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 05:33 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times

Advertisements

Has anybody looked into retirement in the mountain towns of North Georgia? I've just heard about two towns--Dahlonega and Hiawassee--that sound pretty ideal for retirees. I don;t know much about Georgia, although I once lived in Asheville, NC (which is not too far away). I don;t know if the personalities are the same. I have a feeling N. GA is redneck, but it's nt based on any facts so I could be completely wrong. Anyonw know anything about this area?

I like the thought of being two hours from Chatanooga, Asheville, Greenville and Atlanta. Don;t like being quite so far from an ocean, but it looks like there's plenty of lake and river activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 06:38 PM

483 posts, read 2,093,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Has anybody looked into retirement in the mountain towns of North Georgia? I've just heard about two towns--Dahlonega and Hiawassee--that sound pretty ideal for retirees. I don;t know much about Georgia, although I once lived in Asheville, NC (which is not too far away). I don;t know if the personalities are the same. I have a feeling N. GA is redneck, but it's nt based on any facts so I could be completely wrong. Anyonw know anything about this area?
If Florida retirees are rednecks, then those two towns are the red neckest in the state. Bring money. Lake homes start around $1 million. Away from the lake, $500k.
The true rednecks sold out and are living in Beverly Hills by now.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:19 PM

LOL! Fortunately, I don;t have the desire or energy to maintain a big fancy house any more. We're looking at the retirement communities, which seem to have new units starting at $250-275 for about 1400 sf (more than enough, since we're downsizing). Hopefully, there will be a few resales that are even less expensive.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:09 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times
If you want a retirement community near the mountains, look at Fairfield Glade near Crossville, TN. No income tax and lower cost of living. Personally, I think the weather's better, too. Also easier access to civilization and good medical care since it's right off the interstate. About 45 minutes to Knoxville, 1-1/2 hours to Nashville.
[urmod cut[/url]
On the Cumberland Plateau and near some beautiful wilderness areas.
I moved to Tennessee from Georgia. Electric costs, phone, car insurance and car tax are all much lower. Electricity in Tennessee is mostly by dams/hydroelectric power and one of the lowest cost per KWH in the nation. Tennessee is a lot less redneck.

Last edited by Waterlily; 09-29-2007 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: sorry no realtor ads

Old 09-29-2007, 10:50 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
I've been to Blairsville a few times and it's filled with Half Bakers. Northeastern retirees who went to Florida, didn't like it and then moved half way back home. It's conservative and religious, but I didn't get the idea it was redneck.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:26 AM

Half bakers--LOL! I haven't heard that one before. Is there a name for people who come from D.C. (or S. California)?

We looked at Fairfield Glade, it didn't appeal to us. Of course, everyone is different. We had some specific things we're looking for that FG did not have--and everyone has a different wish list. I will agree that TN has some financial advantages for people who are on a tight budget. To our eye, the place seemed kind of cheap and with the potential to become run down in a few years. The scenery was pretty, but not soul-stirring--after a few days we wanted to leave, we felt like we were stuck in the middle of nowhere. Medical facilities were good, but the local towns were dull and dusty and boring. I'm not much of a shopper, but I do want more than a local Walmart from time to time (of course, the same thing could be a problem with Hiawassee. Dahlonega seems to have a bit more variety, but we'll have to look for ourselves to see if it's a good fit).

Old 10-03-2007, 07:10 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Friends of ours retired to Hiawassee on a lake. Although they love it and it is beautiful there, I think the slow pace and absolutely nothing to do is starting to get to them. When you are still active and vibrant, after awhile you need more than hikes, a canoe and church on Sunday.
We are moving south as soon as we sell our house, but I need to be within half an hour from a city with a pulse.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:11 AM

Yes, we have the same worries. And, I don't want to move somewhere where I have to drive all the time, because reality is that seniors eventually lose the ability to drive.

The current drought in GA is also a concern, although I suspect that will be a non-issue once they get a few rainy years. These things tend to come in cycles.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:36 AM

64 posts, read 233,532 times
I think FarNorthDallas meant half backers, not half bakers. As a northerner from Illinois, I am planning to move half way back from Florida to north Georgia. In fact, Jasper, Ga.

North Georgia is less red neck than North Carolina. We looked at Asheville and surrounding areas, Lake Lure, N.C. and towns in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Remember the movie Deliverance?

There are a lot of nice communities in the Jasper area. Check them out.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:21 AM

LOL, Half-baker makes sense too... I thought it was a joke about people moving up from Florida (and down from the north) with all their "half-baked" liberal ideas!!!

Why did you choose Jasper among all the different mountain towns? (I'm trying to figure out the differences between them--there are so many intriguing places in that part of the country.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement