U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 05:53 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,217,684 times

Advertisements

Good series of articles all week from Morningstar regarding retirement......

How to Cut Costs in Retirement

Get your retirement on track by trimming expenses on housing, day-to-day expenditures, travel and leisure, and financial services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 05:54 AM

Will Your Income Needs Trend Down as You Age?

---------------------------
Can Your Portfolio Supply You With the Retirement Income You Need
http://news.morningstar.com/articlen...aspx?id=581114

Old 01-21-2013, 08:20 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,487,261 times
Simple. Don't eat! That wll stretch your $$$ in more ways than one.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:44 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,932,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Simple. Don't eat! That wlll stretch your $$$ in more ways than one.

I know you like to cook/eat. And I suspect your local gourmet grocery store is just around the corner from you - right ? An on-line outfit where I buy some stuff (I think *our* local gourmet grocery store is halfway between your place and ours ) I like to eat is having one of its semi-annual (perhaps quarterly) freezer sales now:

Frozen Foods Sale - Gourmet Meat & Poultry Freezer Sale, Buy Frozen Food Online

I especially like the moulard duck breast and the poussin (both perfect for 2 people for dinner). Although other things might catch your eye. FWIW - sometimes there are "free-shipping" sales. But I usually don't buy enough to meet the minimum for those sales. Robyn

Old 01-23-2013, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Simple. Don't eat! That wll stretch your $$$ in more ways than one.
"Eating in" instead of "eating out" is more like it.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
"Eating in" instead of "eating out" is more like it.
retirement avails many opportunities to cut costs as compared to 'pre=retired', and it can be really rewarding, fun, & adventurous to try on a change of lifestyle. (Rather than spending / acting as employed.

New stage of life, I would be REALLY bored if it was a continuation of affluenza / consumer driven economy.

And yes, have the time to Cook, and eat IN is nice. As is the extra time available to Grow-your-own.

Transportation costs could be a digger for those who don't burn free cooking oil, But property taxes and healthcare costs are my thorns... and grossly take disproportionate share of 'expenses' (~80%). Selling Casa Grande would help. but.... built a beautiful rural home for under $100k, that WAS taxed at $800/ yr (now $14,400). Tragic, no control over that. (except to emigrate overseas for Healthcare and lower COL)

BUT it is EZ to cut most costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or