Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 08:54 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times

Advertisements

We're coming-up on 5-years into retirement and have about played all the golf, read all the books, taken all the cruises, engaged in new hobbies, etc ... we care to. We're still enjoying retirement immensely. but, for those of you who have been retired longer, what's next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 11:54 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
hmm, I'm not your target audience, been retired just over a year, don't play golf, never been on and never will take a cruise, don't engage in any hobbies in the traditional sense. I read 2-3 books a week and can't imagine that I've read them all. Like you, I'm enjoying retirement immensely. Just curious, what exactly are you asking? For suggestions what to do next? Have you considered volunteering? If not, I heartily recommend it. Whether you choose to work with folks less fortunate than you or in fields you enjoy, it's all good.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:36 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
As far as 'what's next?': that question is relative because there are some who need to have their schedules planned out in advance, and others who are content to just let the day play out.

A person does not change that much once retired, we are who we are (working or not). I know folks who while working feel lost if their personal time is not planned out - and they'll be the same once retired. Usually they're the first ones who would ask coworkers, 'What will you do this weekend?'.

Unless I have to be somewhere at a particular time, I could care less how the day evolves because I thoroughly enjoy not being stuck in an office 9 hours a day, 5 days a week - now it's my choice to do whatever it is I want to do. There are days I am home all day and never feel bored for one second.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:29 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
We're coming-up on 5-years into retirement and have about played all the golf, read all the books, taken all the cruises, engaged in new hobbies, etc ... we care to. We're still enjoying retirement immensely. but, for those of you who have been retired longer, what's next?

Good question. Young retiree here and I'm in the 4th year of all of that. No cruises yet, but traveling around the USA.

I see that people beyond the 5 yrs continue w/ golf and other hobbies - but I see a lot of them making continuous improvements on their homes (nesting) - contractors always in their homes doing something to improve their homes. Big drain on their savings account, but they can afford it - and have nothing else to apply the money toward.

I have seen a few people take menial part time jobs (golf course, for example) to give them something to do everyday. I couldn't do that.....

Most of my days have one or two things to do - but for the most part my days just kind of work themselves out. I'm rarely just "bored" and have absolutely nothing to do.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:53 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
I'm new to retirement, so have no experiences of my own to share yet. FWIW, here are the stages my parents went through:

1. First 5-6 years was all about travel, travel, travel. They went everywhere--backpacking in the Alps, trip to China (when that was a really exotic thing to do), an extensive trip in Scandinavia, etc. Boy, those were the days when you could kick off retirement doing things like that.

2. As that phase wound down they switched over to taking cruises for a few years instead of the more rigorous trips. At this stage they also moved to a retirement community in a new state. For the first year or so there they were very active, joining all sorts of groups. Lots of time exploring the new state.

3. After this, there was a 3-4 year phase of "nesting." Doing a lot of work on the house, getting more involved with the groups they really liked and dumping the ones that didn't appeal as much, making some strong friendships (and doing things with those friends every few days).

4. After this, they moved to a "Good Sam" facility in their community (not quite Assisted Living but getting close). Made a new set of friends at the facility, spent less time with former friends. Community activities began winding down. They began leaving the house less and less, except to go to church or to a friend's house if it was nearby. A shopping trip became a big expedition. More time going to parties in their Good Sam complex, doing jigsaw puzzles, working on hobbies.

5. Final stage. About two years of not doing much. Being content just watching birds at a bird feeder. Reading, watching tv, doing puzzles (but puzzles started taking weeks instead of being done in a day). A short walk takes all afternoon. Most of the day spent dealing with health issues and the various tasks involved in everyday life as well as getting affairs in order.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:35 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
I recognize the stages Caladium suggests. I'm probably two or three years (at most) away from retiring. I'll turn 64 mid-year, this year. But I live in a condo building with many retirees with whom I interact and I have the up-close and personal opportunity to observe and be part of their lives. I also care for an 86 year-old friend who lives with me.

What I anticipate when I retire:

+ Closer attention paid to health issues, with the intent of minimizing future health challenges which will most certainly come along.

+ Reduction of stress brought-on by over-extension of involvement at work, in my condo association, in my church, etc. Retiring from the 9 to 5 job five days a week will take care of the work-related stress. Resigning from my condo board will take care of my 'second job'. My church-related activities will continue, though; they're not really stressful.

+ "Snowbirding" someplace nice and warm during Winter months for probably 5 years. Potentially moving abroad to spend a year each in a different country.

+ Then reducing my travel and establishing a slower but still active lifestyle permitting me to do what what when I want and how I want ... including doing nothing at all.

+ Transitioning into a living situation where my care and feeding is watched more closely (I'm single and expect to remain that way going forward).

+ And, dealing with the inevitable ... challenges to my health which will require varying degrees of attention/care.

As I sit in my condo board meetings a fellow member of the Board said to me one day, "Take a look (at the 50 or so member attendees), what do you see?" I replied, "50 or 60 people." His response? "No, you're looking at your future." Assembled were mostly senior unit owners, with walkers, canes, wheelchairs, hearing aids, not paying attention to the meeting and interrupting with loud irrelevant chatter, etc. I've been fortunate to have an 'preview of coming attractions'. I think I have a pretty good idea of what the future holds for me. And I'm ready!

Old 01-23-2013, 08:09 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
We are entering year 6 of retirement and still have the same mind set about the future and what we will do. We will do what we want to do and don't have to decide on doing something just to be doing something. Folks would ask us what do we do and the answer was the same what we want to do. We have a trip that many would consider a vacation trip coming up but it isn't a vacation it is retirement in a cool destination. It is freedom of time and thought and 24/7 independence of employment with someone else setting much of your life. I would hope we can maintain this attitude for a veddddddddddddddddddddddy long time.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:28 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,080 times
I seem to be an outlier on this question. Had a great career (it just got old near the end of 35 years), reaching financial independence and retiring early. Retirement was novel and fun at first, and I did a lot of new things, but after 1½ years I've begun to feel a little guilty or self-indulgent that I'm not contributing to society while I am still very much able. I don't have any need to return to work for the $, but I'd rather feel more useful. I am thinking more and more about a second career, maybe volunteering but I'd rather be paid something. YMMV

Old 01-23-2013, 09:42 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Default Are there 'stages' of retirement?

But of course there are: Older - Frailer - Room Temperature!

Old 01-23-2013, 10:03 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
But of course there are: Older - Frailer - Room Temperature!
now, that is the best answer so far..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement