U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 07:21 PM

11 posts, read 41,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malo View Post
Hi everyone

...Please excuse this cross post ...I've tried to change forums after realizing I should be posting here, but couldn't copy and paste until the thread was posted.

I've been checking out the retirement forum to see how others are planning their retirements. My wife and I are considering Missouri, Alabama, Tennessee, Washington, and Oregon as possible places to retire. I've got about ten years before I'm ready to leave my job ..but could possibly transfer with my company before retirement (very large international company). I've been maxing out on 401k for a while but will have to cut back if we decide to purchase retirement property before retirement (possibly land first -then build after selling California house).

I will have a small pension of about $1100, SS appox. $1200, draw from $401k $2,000 (4% of bal.), draw from other investments $800 (4% of bal.). Wife's retirement will kick in 5 yrs. later ..no pension, SS appox. $800, draw from 401k $200. I will have to provide health insurance as my employer does not offer that with my retirement package.

Would appreciate *advice on health ins. and *it's cost for retirees, the *pros and cons of living in above mentioned states and cost to live in said states, and *other recommended places to retire. We prefer not to deal with extreme weather. We are in Northern California now. We were in Southeast Missouri a few weeks ago to watch my son play football and visited Branson while there. We really liked the area and think we could find a good fit somewhere near Springfield and Branson. On this same trip we were in the Birmingham area to watch another football game and really liked it there too. In the past I've traveled through Tennessee and liked it ..and the people there were very friendly, much like those we met in Missouri and Alabama on our recent trip.

Would appreciate any feedback/advice. Thanks.
[RIGHT][/RIGHT]
Malo, Take a look at Central Ky (Lexington). The cost of living is very affordable along with the change of seasons of which are not really bad. Hot or Cold. Property taxes are roughly 1% of purchase price of property. Lexington is home of the University of Kentucky and the "Horse capital of the World". Due to host the 2010 Olympic Equestrian Games in "2010"
Also the doctor to per capita is very high here for those retirees that might be concerned with health issues down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 10:53 AM

1,195 posts, read 4,996,781 times
(I will have a small pension of about $1100, SS appox. $1200, draw from $401k $2,000 (4% of bal.), draw from other investments $800 (4% of bal.). Wife's retirement will kick in 5 yrs. later ..no pension, SS appox. $800, draw from 401k $200. I will have to provide health insurance as my employer does not offer that with my retirement package.)

My husband and I will be retiring next June, I myself have been doing a great deal of research. According to financial analyist they suggest you don't count on your SS# in your retirement plans. As far a medical insurance that will cost you a bundle but I would contact AARP for their rates, a friend currently pays $483.00 a month for one person (ouch).

Many retired friends tell me that you will be surprised how quick you can down size and live for less. Also for the past 2 years I've been down sizing our belongings as we plan on moving, each time I go shopping I think twice about buying something with the questiion "do I want to move it" then I end up not buying it.

We have 5 acres in northern rural Nevada and currently live in Alaska so the change will be very nice.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:30 PM

40 posts, read 174,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh54 View Post
There is so much information online that you could keep yourselves busy for the next ten years reading all of it, lol.

We moved from SoCal to Ashland, Oregon. It's lovely but not cheap. We might pull up stakes when our last daughter is finished with high school in three more years.

Many retirees seem to be flocking to TN. It has a friendly tax climate and nice people. It's too far away for us or we'd have considered it. Branson, Missouri and Sandpoint, Idaho seem to be mentioned frequently in retirement articles, as well as Ruido, N.M. and Durango, CO. Enjoy your search and good luck.
I posted this question on the Oregon forum, but got little response, and I noticed you live in Ashland, so... I was asking for input from those who live there, pros and cons. What you like, what you don't like. All I read is how expensive housing is, and by Oregon standards it is. I live outside of San Francisco, so for me Ashland homes are not cheap, but certainly not expensive. I guess everything is relative. Your property taxes, however, are much more expensive than ours. I've visited quite a few times, house hunting, and just enjoying the town. I love it, it kind of reminds me of our town, small, compact, lots of character.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:35 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,943,998 times
I moved to N. AL from Tampa. Everything is so much cheaper here. Friendly people with very little crime or traffic.
I am a widow and get my LH SS of $1,000 plus pension of $800 a month. I was able to pay cash for my house and property taxes are low compared to FL.
I love it here. I think Tn or Al would be worth considering.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:41 PM

8,238 posts, read 18,535,859 times
hello Keeper. Aren't you the moderator of the Long Island thread. This one is sure different, isn't it?

I guess I have my heart set on Portland, Oregon. I know that it is more expensive than I would like, but I do have a pension (or I will have one starting in June) from teaching & SS the day I turn 62. I won't come out ahead as far as housing trades, but I don't think that I will be too far behind either. At least I hope not.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:29 PM

11 posts, read 41,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malo View Post
Hi everyone

...Please excuse this cross post ...I've tried to change forums after realizing I should be posting here, but couldn't copy and paste until the thread was posted.

I've been checking out the retirement forum to see how others are planning their retirements. My wife and I are considering Missouri, Alabama, Tennessee, Washington, and Oregon as possible places to retire. I've got about ten years before I'm ready to leave my job ..but could possibly transfer with my company before retirement (very large international company). I've been maxing out on 401k for a while but will have to cut back if we decide to purchase retirement property before retirement (possibly land first -then build after selling California house).

I will have a small pension of about $1100, SS appox. $1200, draw from $401k $2,000 (4% of bal.), draw from other investments $800 (4% of bal.). Wife's retirement will kick in 5 yrs. later ..no pension, SS appox. $800, draw from 401k $200. I will have to provide health insurance as my employer does not offer that with my retirement package.

Would appreciate *advice on health ins. and *it's cost for retirees, the *pros and cons of living in above mentioned states and cost to live in said states, and *other recommended places to retire. We prefer not to deal with extreme weather. We are in Northern California now. We were in Southeast Missouri a few weeks ago to watch my son play football and visited Branson while there. We really liked the area and think we could find a good fit somewhere near Springfield and Branson. On this same trip we were in the Birmingham area to watch another football game and really liked it there too. In the past I've traveled through Tennessee and liked it ..and the people there were very friendly, much like those we met in Missouri and Alabama on our recent trip.

Would appreciate any feedback/advice. Thanks.
[RIGHT][/RIGHT]

Guys,

Just a reminder. Dont forget about the Homestead Act. This allows seniors to reduce their property taxes by a certain percentage

Old 10-26-2007, 04:39 AM

10 posts, read 41,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
According to financial analyist they suggest you don't count on your SS# in your retirement plans. As far a medical insurance that will cost you a bundle but I would contact AARP for their rates, a friend currently pays $483.00 a month for one person (ouch).
Guess I shouldn't include Social Security income Tressa ..it really bothers me that I am putting into the program and may never get to receive benifits. Thanks for the feedback Tressa.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:12 AM

19,872 posts, read 22,814,029 times
Actually SS is going to still be around - although some cuts and adjustments are possible (maybe even probable). Overall though, it's not going away. The Baby Boomers who are counting on it are just too big of a voting block. No politician is going to risk ticking them off.

In truth the SS system is not intrinsically broken. There IS a substantial short term problem (40 years or so) coming up as the huge wave demographic wave of Baby Boomers retire - but that's not a perminant thing. Once that wave passes the SS system will come back into balance again. In fact, if the SS fund had not been looted and monies taken out and placed in the General Fund (to help the deficit problem look better than it was) there wouldn't even be a problem with SS. All those Baby Boomers that are going to be drawing money out have been putting huge amounts IN the system for a long time now - so their SHOULD be tons of money in the fund - and WOULD have been had not the aforementioned "creative accounting" by Congress and the various Presidents not happened. The SS system can work just fine, but we NEED to enforce the "hands off" rule - keeping that money separate from the US general fund. Unfortunately we did not do that, so there probably will be some cuts - but SS is NOT going away.

That's my take anyway,

Ken

Old 10-28-2007, 11:27 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,062,043 times
The other demographic thing that isn't being taken into account is the probably shortening of bb lifespans as the epidemic diabetes trend starts taking its toll. Everyone is assuming a continual increase in lifespan and ignoring the huge health crisis looming with the ever expanding girth and accompanying health problems start reversing the trend. That will reduce the stress on SS in a morbid sort of way.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:42 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,564,526 times
Reading all these posts about places to retire to, I wonder why anyone would consider moving to a strange town with no family, no friends, no familiarity, no history. Why separate yourselves from these things, especially in retirement?

Not a criticism. Just wondering since I am many years from retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or