U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 12:49 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,847,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Reading all these posts about places to retire to, I wonder why anyone would consider moving to a strange town with no family, no friends, no familiarity, no history. Why separate yourselves from these things, especially in retirement?

Not a criticism. Just wondering since I am many years from retirement.
When some people finally get to retirement age, their family all moved away or died, you are sick of people in your neighborhood, "familiarity breeds contempt", and you are more concerned about "no future" than "no history".
See new start=excitement & "bucket list".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 07:05 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,516,359 times
Sometimes you just want to begin anew. A brand new chapter of YOUR LIFE!

Old 01-14-2008, 06:43 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,826,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Reading all these posts about places to retire to, I wonder why anyone would consider moving to a strange town with no family, no friends, no familiarity, no history. Why separate yourselves from these things, especially in retirement?

Can't speak for everyone, but we always saw retirement as an opportunity to live in a charming town that had everything we wanted... except for high paying jobs.

We always saw the "working years" as a time to live near a big city, a time to endure things like traffic jams and expensive mortgages. And we've been lucky enough to find vibrant, exciting cities to be near... but now we are almost ready to move to a charming little town, the sort of place that we always wanted to live in.

I'm close to my family, but these days easy travel and computers make them seem close even when we are geographically separated. Plus, my kids move around the country a lot. If we were to stay here, in a few years we would most like be the last ones remaining in Virginia. The same goes for my friends. Virginia is very transitional--people move in and out all the time.

We bought a house with a guest bedroom becuase we expect plenty of visits. Everyone seems excited about getting a free place to stay here (Dahlonega is the sort of town that attracts tourists and has pricey B&Bs). I know they want to spend time with Grandma too... but I'm a realist. I'm glad to be moving to a place with plenty of festivals, outdoor activities and other fun things for my family to do.

But I come from a family in which everyone has always moved--we're used to living this way. Other families are different. My inlaws live on Long Island, and their family has been there for generations. Many of my husbands siblings still live in the same town. They stop by each others' houses every week, and couldn't imagine being physically separated. They will most likely retire there too and that makes perfect sense to me.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:21 AM

33 posts, read 109,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
A number of Californians are retiring in New Mexico ....nice dry climate and not too expensive ....places like Las Cruces....Alamogordo.....Silver City.... Rio Rancho....Deming....and as mentioned before ....Ruidoso
We live in Deming and absolutely love it. Deming has the lowest per sq ft housing costs in the southwest desert region. The weather is great , a little too hot in August a little too cold in Jan , but generally just right. Maybe the best part is what we don't have, tornados , hurricanes , blizzards , floods , well , you get the picture. Home heating and cooling costs are low. Great location on Interstste 10 , 50 mins to Las Cruces , another half hour to El Paso.30 mins to Palomas Chi. Mx. In Palomas you find very competent dental and optical care at a fraction of U.S. prices. Pharmacies where no persrciption is needed for most non narcotic meds , also at a big discount to U.S. prices. Very little traffic , crime , pollution , freindly folks . For people with fixxed incomes ,, geez ,, just can't beat it!

Old 01-15-2008, 12:04 PM

5,081 posts, read 12,974,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
...we always saw retirement as an opportunity to live in a charming town that had everything we wanted... except for high paying jobs.
I agree.

When we traveled around the country, we would see many places where we would love to live. But, there was no way to support ourselves there.

Having a retirement income, even though it may be only a fraction of what we lived on while working, is enough to allow us to live in one of those "special places".

Old 01-16-2008, 11:21 AM

55 posts, read 192,977 times
Originally Posted by Alexus

Good observation. MetLife did a study of boomers aged 62, and 75% said they would like to retire right where they are now. So most people feel the same way as you Alexus. But given how many boomers there are, even 25% is a LOT of people who will be moving. A lot of good reasons expressed here as to why. But caution is in order, a lot of people move back home because they didn't expect what it would be like to be far away. As for me, I am hoping to be able to live somewhere warm in winter, but spend most of my time where i am now - in Connecticut.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:21 AM

5,849 posts, read 15,943,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoodgadsdenchamber View Post
Try NE Alabama. Don't ever underestimate AL. Taxes are low, houses and land cheap. No property tax over 65........
I just noticed this and gotta correct it. There is no property tax IF your income is under a certain level. My mom paid property taxes until she died at age 83 because her income was too "high."

Old 07-30-2009, 10:01 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,806,552 times
somwhathip, the reason some of us move is because when you calculate what money you will have coming in retired, you can no longer afford to live in the same place as family/friends without getting a job to supplement your income. We moved and do miss everyone but the reality is we can no longer afford to live there. We chose to move to a state where we can afford to live and not work.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:30 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,052,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
somwhathip, the reason some of us move is because when you calculate what money you will have coming in retired, you can no longer afford to live in the same place as family/friends without getting a job to supplement your income. We moved and do miss everyone but the reality is we can no longer afford to live there. We chose to move to a state where we can afford to live and not work.
And some of us have been living in a area with no family ties for many years because that's where a good job is. Retirement is a chance to relocate to a desired location where employment is not a consideration. This is a fairly common situation for many rather than the life long stay where your family is.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:31 PM

10,134 posts, read 12,387,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
They seem to stay in Knoxville. No reason to leave. They may sell the big house and move to a loft downtown or to a condo, but they tend to stick around, especially if they've got family here. I live in an older condo complex and about 1/4 of the owners/residents are older and have been here since the complex was built 30 years ago.
I seriously considered knoxville but it gets to cold there for me.

but that's just me, I never want to see another snowflake for as long as I live.

But I think it is nearly an ideal place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or