U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 05:54 AM

55 posts, read 192,967 times

Advertisements

I agree with 46Barb and Tesage: economics often trump other reasons for moving. If the cost of living and your property taxes are too high and you've decided that you can enjoy a better lifestyle in a different place - go for it! In my experience that kind of move works best when you either already have family and friends nearby, are pretty sure they will visit often, or you are the kind of person who makes friends easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 08:57 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,806,260 times
I won't say that either of us makes friends easily, but we try. I noticed you're from CT, that's where we moved from due to the high cost of living.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:32 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,482,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Reading all these posts about places to retire to, I wonder why anyone would consider moving to a strange town with no family, no friends, no familiarity, no history. Why separate yourselves from these things, especially in retirement?

Not a criticism. Just wondering since I am many years from retirement.
Elementary! First of all, we no longer care for California -- over-taxed, over-lawed, over-regulated, over-priced, high crime and fast becoming like a third-world country.

We want four real seasons and affordable housing. In four days we are flying back to the Missouri Ozarks, meeting up with a reraltor we've been working with and buying a house in lake country.

Most of our children and grandchildren, but not all, are in California. We'll p[robably visit annually, fly the older grandchildren to spend some of their vacations with us (they can't wait) and the rest of the children and grands look forward to having someplace new to visit us.

Just as important, this will be a grand adventure -- perhaps our last such "fling" and we WILL make the most of it. We've both lived in a numbver of other states and believe we've chosen wisely.

By the way, we DO count on Social Security. I started drawing it when I retired at the end of last year and my wife will be eligible and start drawing it next year. We have pensions from our state and full healthcare benefits, including prescription coverage, for the rest of our lives and we pay no premiums for it.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:37 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,232,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Elementary! First of all, we no longer care for California -- over-taxed, over-lawed, over-regulated, over-priced, high crime and fast becoming like a third-world country.

We want four real seasons and affordable housing. In four days we are flying back to the Missouri Ozarks, meeting up with a reraltor we've been working with and buying a house in lake country.
Fellow Californian here in complete agreement with the Curmudgeon, except I'm headed for either the White Mountains or Rim Country in Arizona.

My sister is retiring to Parker, Arizona; so when it gets too hot for her she'll come stay with me. When it gets too cold for me, I'll go visit her.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:18 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,580,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Fellow Californian here in complete agreement with the Curmudgeon, except I'm headed for either the White Mountains or Rim Country in Arizona.

My sister is retiring to Parker, Arizona; so when it gets too hot for her she'll come stay with me. When it gets too cold for me, I'll go visit her.
We came to AZ from CA 4 years ago and we left because we could see the current train wreck heading our way. We like AZ and endure the heat and consider it payment for a fantastic winter. Property taxes are not too bad unless the legislature decides to put the screws to us to offset their budget mess. Enjoy.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:03 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,482,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post

Sounds perfect for you. Best of luck!

Old 08-01-2009, 01:03 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,561,639 times
I'm thinking I'll stay where I am (outside Boston) if I can afford to. I completely love my house, and recently noticed that I already live in a small town (former farm town- no downtown) and a short walk to a lovely lake.
I loathe the humidity half the year and summers are awful for me, hence, I have obsessed about ways to move to high mountain country out West, considered becoming old-older in such places, considered how much I love my home and its setting, consider ways to spend summers out West as long as able, etc.
So far, continue very expensive visits out West. Have eliminated summer Utah as too hot and allergic to tumbleweeds!
Winter and snow don't bother me. If I moved, it would be to get away from East Coast summers, or because my property taxes here will get me (currently $4500 for a two-bedroom house on half-acre).
I wish the San Juan Mts. were a three-hour drive away. Or even six.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:11 PM

34,687 posts, read 33,690,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malo View Post
Hi everyone

...Please excuse this cross post ...I've tried to change forums after realizing I should be posting here, but couldn't copy and paste until the thread was posted.

I've been checking out the retirement forum to see how others are planning their retirements. My wife and I are considering Missouri, Alabama, Tennessee, Washington, and Oregon as possible places to retire. I've got about ten years before I'm ready to leave my job ..but could possibly transfer with my company before retirement (very large international company). I've been maxing out on 401k for a while but will have to cut back if we decide to purchase retirement property before retirement (possibly land first -then build after selling California house).

I will have a small pension of about $1100, SS appox. $1200, draw from $401k $2,000 (4% of bal.), draw from other investments $800 (4% of bal.). Wife's retirement will kick in 5 yrs. later ..no pension, SS appox. $800, draw from 401k $200. I will have to provide health insurance as my employer does not offer that with my retirement package.

Would appreciate *advice on health ins. and *it's cost for retirees, the *pros and cons of living in above mentioned states and cost to live in said states, and *other recommended places to retire. We prefer not to deal with extreme weather. We are in Northern California now. We were in Southeast Missouri a few weeks ago to watch my son play football and visited Branson while there. We really liked the area and think we could find a good fit somewhere near Springfield and Branson. On this same trip we were in the Birmingham area to watch another football game and really liked it there too. In the past I've traveled through Tennessee and liked it ..and the people there were very friendly, much like those we met in Missouri and Alabama on our recent trip.

Would appreciate any feedback/advice. Thanks.
[RIGHT][/RIGHT]
Are you living in a big city now? What size population are you thinking about?

What do you like to do? Find places that offer those things in the number, quality and and variety to which you are accustomed, first, and then compare those places with your other criteria. You know, if you like to walk 3 miles a day, check out the how easy/enjoyable that will be in the new place. Maybe you are walking in the streets now but can find a place where you'd walk around a lake or along a riverfront. If you like to go to bluegrass concerts, you might not be happy in a place where there are only rock concerts and vice versa. If you like to bowl, you might want to find a place with a bowling alley and daytime leagues. If you like to fish for bass, moving near a trout pond might not float your boat. Whatever you do, when you visit potential retirement destinations make sure you check out the place's potential for the things you like to do/do often.

Check out the stores, too. Do they have the things you like?

Read the local newspapers on line to find out what the people in the potential new town like to do for enjoyment. Look at their photos. Do they look like your kind of people? You know, if you are a wine and cheese type, you may not be happy with beer and barbecue types and vice versa. If you dress for social events, don't land in a jeans and tee shirt kind of place and vice versa. Read the write ups on the town planning council/committee meetings so you know if the town you fall in love with is going to be something entirely different in 5 - 10 years.

Pretty and cheap won't make you happy. You'll have about 40 hours of daytime where you'll be wanting to do things you enjoy. You won't be happy if the new place offers less or a lesser quality of what you are used to having/doing, now.

You might also want to look into how easy it will be to find a doctor.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:52 AM

356 posts, read 1,217,788 times
Definitely check on the medical facilities in any area you are considering. As we get older, we tend to have more health problems so you need to know that you can get good medical care in an emergency if you need it.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:00 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,561,639 times
I always think ahead to car dependence and possibly having limited or no driving. Of course, almost all places where people live these days are at least somewhat car dependent, if not completely so.
I wouldn't want to make a move that would make me more car dependent than I already am, unless I was ready to make another move in the future. And chances are, one place you're going to need or want to drive to is a medical facility. How far? How about weather? Etc.
At 56, I'm horrified at how lousy my night vision is. I've always had dreadful eyesight, and it sure isn't getting better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or