U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 06:01 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,516,359 times

Advertisements

At 56, I'm horrified at how lousy my night vision is. I've always had dreadful eyesight, and it sure isn't getting better

I haven't driven at night for a long time. My night vision is unbelievably terrible . I worry about someday not being able to even pass the
eye test. I definitely need to be in a place where there is good public transportation.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 07:14 PM

250 posts, read 648,776 times
This is something I concern myself with as well. The day light driving is no problem but as soon as the day light fades into evening I find driving really difficult. I too look for a place to retire, in another year or two ... if I can hold on .... with better public transportation than is available in the area I live now. It is my peripheral vision that seems to falter with night driving.

Perhaps in the end the reasons one moves from one place to another are not the reason (s) one would have ever have considered necessary even a few years ago.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:22 PM

5,426 posts, read 5,729,586 times
I would consider retiring overseas - probably in the Philippines.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:31 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,052,621 times
My mother had stopped driving at night for many years because her night vision wasn't very good. At her 90th birthday celebration we had, I was driving her at night and she said, "Huh! I can see! I can see fine." She had had her second cataract surgery with the artificial lenses a few years before. She simply had assumed her night vision was too poor and had not tried. Turns out, she can see better than she ever could with the new lenses. So at 90, she started driving at night again. And she is perfectly safe doing so.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:51 AM

250 posts, read 648,776 times
I have had both eyes operated on for cataracts. Although my overall vision is much improved .. and I am very grateful for that ....the surgery did not help with the steady loss of peripheral vision. This is another problem, and alas one that is not rectifiable.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:15 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,668,169 times
I totally agree with I agree with 46Barb and Tesage: economics often trump other reasons for moving.

If I stay in Oregon I will have to continue to work full time for "Voldemort Inc." until the day I die because it's such an expensive state in which to live. I can't wait to find a more reasonable place in which retire where I can survive on and a part time job.

The next place I am going to check out next year will be Knoxville TN.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:41 PM

12 posts, read 17,363 times
Default NC or Nh

I am thinking of the very thing you mentioned. I am looking as Ashville N.C. and N.H. (peterborough or portsmouth). Both are low tax states

Old 08-23-2009, 08:54 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,806,552 times
wciarci, I heard that NH has very high real estate taxes and taxes on other things. Check into it very carefully.

Old 08-23-2009, 10:47 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,565,364 times
NH does have high R.E. taxes, because it has no other taxes.
Asheville, NC, as far as I know, is very expensive for housing. Peterborough, while a lovely town, is also expensive for housing and is quite car dependent to get out of town (down the twisting mountain road). Portsmouth is expensive for housing but is a very compact town with a lot of good stuff for people. A co-worker of mine just rented there (at age 75, still picking up some hours at the job) and she finds Portsmouth an excellent place to live. However, she couldn't afford to buy anything for living although she did sell a house.
NH is famous for not taxing income or cigarettes or liquor (and for having equally low levels of government services) and high real estate taxes.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:24 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,943,432 times
I think that the boomers are much more use to moviong than any generation and often the place they retire from is not their choice of retirement location.Air travel makes a huge difference now days too.The difference in COL can also make a big difference in lifestyle in retirement too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or