Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 09:16 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
For those not that familiar with travel insurance, most of them are secondary insurers and only pay after all others coverage has been paid. THERE ARE some that are primary insurers but you have to look for them when seeking to purchase travel insurance. I usually buy from insuremytrip.com because you can compare various policies and see exactly what you are purchasing.
Wow, what an interesting and enlightening comment! I wish I would have thought to explain the difference between primary and secondary insurers and to recommend insuremytrip.com.

Oh, wait.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 10:16 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I'd blame the travel insurance company, who IS supposed to pay and is trying to stall, more than I would Medicare, who as willow wind shows, clearly states what it does not cover.
Yep;'I see this as more a travel insurance problem puttig you thru jumping thru hoops;not medicare has even you know they will not apy from coverage information alone.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:50 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Wow, what an interesting and enlightening comment! I wish I would have thought to explain the difference between primary and secondary insurers and to recommend insuremytrip.com.

Oh, wait.....
Obviously I didn't read quite far enough in the thread. LOL

Old 01-31-2013, 12:45 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Thank you to our government for the waste in time and money. I will try to explain what happened andwhy I am a little miffed to put it mildly:

Recently we took a cruise. While on the ship I pulled a muscle and had to see the ship doctor. I did have travel insurance so we arrived home and I called the company..Because I receiving SS I need to show the company medicare did not pay any benefits as the accident happened outside the USA. This morning I called Medi-care and here is what I was told. No, medicare will not cover any of my expenses. I asked if they could send me an email or a letter stating they would not cover the expenses. The answer; No, I have to file a form with them. OK, I could have bought that but here is the catch: 1-it will take about 150 to 180 days to hear back and the lady said, I am right, they will pay nothing, the case will be looked at and denied. So, instead of being able to send something stating they can not cover accidents outside the country I have to wait 6 months to recieve a form telling me this. luckily, I do have a suplimentary ins and they have a short form for me to fill out. They will cover all but $65, the $65 will be covered by the trip insurance. The insurance company will pay what our sup insurance will not and our sup insurance will then try to get the $65 from medi-care; pain in the tush, you better believe it.
The damage was done outside of the USA, and if the regulations don't cover out-of-country problems then 'man-up' and move on. You've now learned that that travel insurance isn't worth too much, when you actually need it. I'm not sympathetic to your whine. Don't blame others. ;-)

Old 01-31-2013, 01:07 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Might passing on this info to you insurer from Medicare.gov be helpful to you ?

http://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11037.pdf

Basically your medical problem is not going to cost you a penny, but you're just upset that you had to make a few phone calls and shuffle paperwork around ?
No,it isn't costing me a penny, but think about the paper work. If the claim is automatically turned down, why not just email or send a letter saying that...Why all the hassle and the 5 to 6 month wait? That is my point, not what it will cost me..

As for the insurance company, both our suplimentary company and the travel company are aware of what is and is not covered. They are the ones who told us i would not be covered. That was varified by medi-care...

Old 01-31-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I'd blame the travel insurance company, who IS supposed to pay and is trying to stall, more than I would Medicare, who as willow wind shows, clearly states what it does not cover.
You do have a point there and yes, I thought the same thing; if they know medi-care won't cover the charges, why not just pay?

Old 01-31-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am confused.

I always buy travel insurance because other insurance typically won't pay for such coverage. It sounds like you understood this, too, and were smart enough to take out trip insurance.

So you had to use the insurance coverage and now you are upset because . . . of what? You had to fill out forms?
Heavens no, I would assume I had to fill out forms; this doesn't faze me; my frustration is with medi-care for the delay when they know they will not pay..and of course somewhat with the insurance company that insists on having, in writing, proof medi-care will not pay..

Of course we could just let it go, the visit and meds were not that much money, it is the principle of it, that's all...

Old 01-31-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The damage was done outside of the USA, and if the regulations don't cover out-of-country problems then 'man-up' and move on. You've now learned that that travel insurance isn't worth too much, when you actually need it. I'm not sympathetic to your whine. Don't blame others. ;-)
wow, you sure do not understand the problem do you? Of course the insurance covers damages outside the USA, that isn't the problem, the problem is medi-care doesn't and the insurance co needs to be certain medi-care didn't pay part of the bill. Medi care takes 5-6 months to respond. That is my gripe...and I do see what some are saying, the insurance company should pay up as long as they know medi-care will not. As i did mention, if you had really read what I posted, our suplimentary insurance will pick up some of it, then the insurance company will take care of the rest. It is still the principle of the whole thing that is bugging me. Thank god we are not talking thousands of $$ here.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:13 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Your insurance company does not need to be certain about anything. They ALREADY KNOW.

Per this, you've got it resolved without a statement from Medicare (not medi-care).

Quote:
=luckily, I do have a suplimentary ins and they have a short form for me to fill out. They will cover all but $65, the $65 will be covered by the trip insurance. The insurance company will pay what our sup insurance will not and our sup insurance will then try to get the $65 from medi-care
So, the real purpose here is what - a complaint about government inefficiency?

Substitute any big health care or insurance organization for government/Medicare (not medi-care). THEN, you'll know about problems. You've already recited them. Your insurance company was being obtuse - but now, lo and behold, you don't need to worry about it, after all.

Have you visited the Health Care Forum, lately? People are getting bills from collection agencies on two-year old bills NEVER sent to Medicare, or improperly coded, etc., etc., etc. Too late to be paid, now, by Medicare.

Health insurance industry is the problem. Going back to YOUR travel health insurance company on this.

They ARE the problem.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-31-2013 at 03:24 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 05:32 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,663,203 times
Quote:
Thank you to our government for the waste in time and money. I will try to explain what happened andwhy I am a little miffed to put it mildly:

Recently we took a cruise. While on the ship I pulled a muscle and had to see the ship doctor. I did have travel insurance so we arrived home and I called the company..Because I receiving SS I need to show the company medicare did not pay any benefits as the accident happened outside the USA. This morning I called Medi-care and here is what I was told. No, medicare will not cover any of my expenses. I asked if they could send me an email or a letter stating they would not cover the expenses. The answer; No, I have to file a form with them. OK, I could have bought that but here is the catch: 1-it will take about 150 to 180 days to hear back and the lady said, I am right, they will pay nothing, the case will be looked at and denied. So, instead of being able to send something stating they can not cover accidents outside the country I have to wait 6 months to recieve a form telling me this. luckily, I do have a suplimentary ins and they have a short form for me to fill out. They will cover all but $65, the $65 will be covered by the trip insurance. The insurance company will pay what our sup insurance will not and our sup insurance will then try to get the $65 from medi-care; pain in the tush, you better believe it.

What you think you bought is not what you bought.

You bought a "supplemental" policy that says after everyone else pays (Medicare included), we will pay the difference. Now you must show/prove to us who else paid anything (even if nothing) before we pay the difference and the longer we can "jerk" you off, the more money/interest we will make on the policy cost even if we end up paying.

Typical insurance company "policy" and some might say "scam" and some might say "read the fine print". Your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement