Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 08:50 AM

171 posts, read 209,176 times

Advertisements

Here's an interesting article regarding Americans willing to pay a little more over time to keep SS solvent.

Americans are willing to pay more for Social Security - Yahoo! Finance

Whats your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 10:21 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
The last governamnt hearing from experts on SS were the breaux commissio and it wasn;t jusapyg alittle more from their conclusions.Plus the fact that SS isn't the onl;y problem program and is easy compared to medicare and medicaid which will have increased roll numbers with new healthcare law.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:48 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,489,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTYD View Post
Whats your thoughts?
As someone eligible now to file for SS but who won't probably do that for three years more .... my thought is I've paid my 'dues' already. Let those who follow contribute more or reasonably change the eligibility requirements for them.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:50 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,406 times
No, because whatever money we pay in "to Social Security", like our most recent 2% increase, I don't really believe it is going toward SS. The government took all the money in SS fund before, so why should I believe that they aren't going to continue doing that. Please don't get sucked into believing this new tax money is being stored in a SS lockbox somewhere!

Old 01-31-2013, 06:34 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,451,817 times
You are not paying "new" tax money. The SS tax rate is now what it has been since 1988.

Historical Payroll Tax Rates

Congress TEMPORARILY reduced the employee side for 2011 and 2012 to keep the economy going during the recovery. They've now been reinstated. Interestingly, the economy showed a slight slowdown in Jan., although I don't hear my son/dil complaining about anything, yet.

Yes, the government needs that money to pay current SS benefits AND its other bills.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Yep it just a temporary holiday that was used to get people to spend the money as stimulus. It was not renewed and we are back to rate previous to the holiday.SS has never been i a lockbaockas by law the governamnt can borrow what doesn't go out and give a IOU of rit at arted of interest they decide.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:17 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,897,111 times
I think the younger folks would have good grounds for complaint if the payroll tax rate were to be raised again, even though it hasn't been raised for a long time. They could say, with justification, that we older generations got a better deal than they are getting because their retirement benefits will not go up but they will be paying more for them. Already, their SS full retirement age is set at 67 and could possibly be raised again before some of them reach it.

Yet all that was not a conscious attempt to discriminate against the young. It is the result of demographics (birth rates). As a nation we are all between a rock and a hard place here. For one, I would be glad to give up my small SS retirement benefit ($149 gross per month) if it would help keep the system solvent, but I would fight tooth and nail to keep my Medicare eligibility.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:20 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,125,876 times
No, at least not with the way the system is set up now. Ask me when it's set up in individual accounts that the politicians can't touch. Ask me when Congress doesn't exempt itself from participating.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:25 AM

5,325 posts, read 6,011,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
No, at least not with the way the system is set up now. Ask me when it's set up in individual accounts that the politicians can't touch. Ask me when Congress doesn't exempt itself from participating.
Why does this stupid rumor never go away? Congress is not exempt!!

FactCheck.org : Members of Congress Pay Social Security Taxes

Old 02-01-2013, 06:39 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,771,905 times
They way I look at it, I am already doing that..85% of my SS income is being
taxed because I make more than 34K investment income:

"Your Social Security benefits are subject to taxation if your income exceeds certain thresholds. In general, one-half of your Social Security payments plus all of your other income from other sources, including investment interest income, must not exceed $25,000 if you're single or $32,000 if you're married. If this threshold is exceeded, then 50 percent of your Social Security benefits are taxable as ordinary income, at the time of publication. If your income exceeds $34,000 as a single person or your combined income exceeds $44,000 when you're married, then 85 percent of your Social Security benefits are taxed as income."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement