U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 03:23 PM

1,071 posts, read 697,568 times
Exclamation Who has the best insurance?

I worked until age 73, and stopped working only because I began to sway to the side with bad cholesterol.

I had signs of TIA'S so my neurologist told me to retire to avoid complications.

I started collecting social security benefits at age 65, and now I remember that they told me to apply for part B the moment I stopped working. Somehow, that slipped my mind, and now I have fully retired for the past five years.

When I finally went to S/S, they told me that I have to pay a 10 percent fine, for not applying when I was supposed to, and that sounded to me like a lot of money.

My husband is a Retired Federal Employee from the US Postal System, and I am under his health insurance plan, but if he dies first, I can no longer get it. So, I went back to s/s to inquire more since we have GHI, as our insurance carrier, and are not happy with all the extra payments we have to make to them. My husband is not eligible to apply for part B, but I can.

So, in view of all of the above, we are looking to switch insurance companies, and even get separate ones, if necessary.

Will I be better paying the fine, and getting part B?

Any one in my predicament? Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 03:26 PM

744 posts, read 469,278 times
Your post is not entirely clear to me, but if you have been covered by your husbands insurance all this time since you retired you should NOT have to pay the penalty fee for not applying for part B earlier. but you do need to give SS proof that you have had substantial coverage all this time and that you have it now.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:43 PM

41,648 posts, read 44,930,403 times
The exemption according to medicare special enrollment is that you are covered by insurance of a spouse WORKING still. Since your husband is retired;you had 8 months after he retired to enroll without penalty according to medicare special exemption. You also had to opt out at the time you signed up for medicare or you would have been automatically enrolled in part B.Its 10% per year of not being enrolled. You can contract SS to find exact amount but likely you still have a hardtime beating provide coverage at your age in private market. Also check if your federal is continued when he dies as most such dependent coverage is available to survivor spouses.

Last edited by texdav; 02-01-2013 at 03:57 PM..

Old 02-01-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The exemption according to medicare special enrollment is that you are covered by insurance of a spouse WORKING still. Since your husband is retired;you had 8 months after he retired to enroll without penalty according to medicare special exemption. You also had to opt out at the time you signed up for medicare or you would have been automatically enrolled in part B.Its 10% per year of not being enrolled. You can contract SS to find exact amount but likely you still have a hardtime beating provide coverage at your age in private market. Also check if your federal is continued when he dies as most such dependent coverage is available to survivor spouses.
Is the 10% per year of my s/s benefits?

No, if he dies before me, Federal will not cover me.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Your post is not entirely clear to me, but if you have been covered by your husbands insurance all this time since you retired you should NOT have to pay the penalty fee for not applying for part B earlier. but you do need to give SS proof that you have had substantial coverage all this time and that you have it now.
I have been covered by my husband's federal insurance all the time we have been married. Do they have a booklet that explains this part?

Old 02-01-2013, 06:32 PM

41,648 posts, read 44,930,403 times
No I believe its based on cost per month which is like $109 now. The book is Medicare and You.Medicare.gov - Publications - Search Criteria for information

Old 02-02-2013, 08:33 AM

10,428 posts, read 8,460,347 times
All you have to do is provide proof of prior insurance coverage to Medicare and you wont be penalized. I got a document entitled "PROOF OF COVERAGE" (or something like that) for Medicare and I wasnt penalized when I finally signed up for Part B.

The info is on the medicare.gov website.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
all you have to do is provide proof of prior insurance coverage to medicare and you wont be penalized. I got a document entitled "proof of coverage" (or something like that) for medicare and i wasnt penalized when i finally signed up for part b.

The info is on the medicare.gov website.
I must have gotten the wrong information from the same clerk that i saw twice before, because she kept telling me that i would be fine 10 percent.

And i tried to find that information on the booklet that some very nice person placed here, but could not find it

Old 02-02-2013, 02:17 PM

10,428 posts, read 8,460,347 times
I may have to amend my statement. I didnt have to pay a penalty when I finally signed up for B and D, but whether you do or not may depend on certain issues:

Medicare Interactive - Enrolling in Medicare Part B if you are 65 or older, still working (or spouse is still working) and have insurance from that job

Old 02-02-2013, 08:12 PM

Texas thank you so much for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement