U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which type do you use?
Single 2 2.78%
Bifocal 16 22.22%
Trifocal 2 2.78%
Progressive 36 50.00%
Eyesight corrected by surgery 5 6.94%
Never needed vision correction 2 2.78%
Other (please specify below) 9 12.50%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 07:39 PM

560 posts, read 588,724 times

Advertisements

Hi - I recently purchased eyeglasses with progressive lenses and am thinking of getting bifocals instead. The eye doctor told me that fewer than 10% of people (that need other than single vision correction) use bifocals. Just wanted to fact check that assertion. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 07:44 PM

18,985 posts, read 16,194,208 times
I've had both bifocals and progressives, in that order. There's no going back!

Old 02-01-2013, 07:47 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,548,343 times
Don't know why you would want bifocals instead of progressives, unless you are having trouble getting used to them. Some people can't adjust. I love progressives. If cost is an issue, try Costco, I've had great glasses at great prices from Costco. I hear Walmart offers glasses at a reasonable price also.

Frames are exorbitant at places like LensCrafters, etc, due to a virtual monopoly on frames by a company in Italy. I can't remember the name of the company but I read an article on their monopoly on eyeglass frames, which jacks up the price several hundred %. Costco and Walmart do not purchase frames from this company. Costco offers great service and glasses can be returned and redone if you are having a problem with them.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:24 PM

4,199 posts, read 8,157,494 times
Maybe not all Costcos have the same optical department, but the local one doesn't have a lot of frames to choose from. Plus, since I've gone to progressive lenses, the frame doesn't add much to the cost - the lenses are, by far, the biggest part of the expense.

Even when I got an expensive pair of Maui Jim wrap-around sunglasses (the only sunglasses that could take my prescription and shield my light-sensitive eyes most of the way), the lenses were still the most expensive thing.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:48 PM

802 posts, read 1,043,784 times
You may have difficulty adjusting to bifocals if you've been wearing progressive lenses. Progressive lenses take a while to get used to. Have you worn glasses before? That would make a difference also. I've worn glasses since I was about 10, and started wearing progressives when I turned 40, I really like them.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:16 AM

2,290 posts, read 1,211,917 times
I started with progressives, but they made me dizzy. After a year, gave up and went to bi-focals and have had no problems at all. I've happily used bi-focals for 7 years now, and don't see any reason to try progressives again.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:36 AM

3,286 posts, read 1,655,081 times
I've got both bifocals and progressives but don't care for either one; perhaps I've never given them enough time. I always retreat to my monovision contact lens. Works well for everything except night driving.

edit to add: love Costco for everything else (I'm a user and huge fan of their hearing aid services) but haven't yet tried their optical department. Debating whether or not to go there next or to go for lasix.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 02-02-2013 at 01:39 AM..

Old 02-02-2013, 06:12 AM

902 posts, read 812,758 times
I tried progressives years ago. I took them back the next day. I couldn't get used to them. If I wanted to glance at something off to the side of me, I had to turn my head in that direction. Otherwise everything was a blur. I'll stick with my bifocals.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:20 AM

18,717 posts, read 15,315,058 times
I used to have bifocals, and switched to progressives. It took a few days to get used to the progressives but I like them much more than the bifocals. I'm another person who's never going back.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:58 AM

23,807 posts, read 19,628,534 times
Getting use to progressives can take time. However I have learned and learned that when getting progressive lenses inexpensive isn't always better. Part of the cost is how much the different focal points are of the lense. The cheaper the lens the more difficult being able to focus can be. Especially when doing things like driving and a fairly rapid change of focal points within and outside the car. If you get headaches driving and wear progressives it can often be the glasses. The following is a good article about glasses/vision and computers.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/15/te...anted=all&_r=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement