U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 06:59 AM

6,561 posts, read 7,981,951 times

Advertisements

The sticky thread on single women who may WANT to retire to a new state has become really long, and maybe folks would rather know about the experiences of single people who have actually uprooted themselves upon retirement to live in a new state, or at least far from their pre-retirement home.

My story is that I did try this.

Found a wonderful home in a new area that was itself a hidden gem. Bought the house, explored the area, still loved it. But. Found I missed my friends and being near my kids. Luckily my old place had not sold so I headed back and am reselling the retirement home. The great thing is I had a new experience and discovered how much I liked my old life. (Plus I did have a chance to enjoy the new area, making lots of short trips from the home as a new 'hub'.) My advice would be this: just because you are retiring and suddenly feel free to live wherever you want to, don't be in a hurry to do so. Stay at least a year in your old city, even if you need to live somewhere cheaper to make ends meet.

What are some other experiences? Moving alone is such a different experience from doing so as a couple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 01:59 PM

11,091 posts, read 12,475,857 times
Yes and no. I moved to a small mountain town in western Colorado from northwest Arkansas after I retired. LOVED it there was in paradise. Then, stupidly, I moved to the armpit of this state to be closer to relatives and help them. Worst decision I have ever made in my life. Am moving back to my small mountain town this summer or back to northwest Arkansas. Colorado is VERY expensive and I don't care for the drug climate or liberal politics here.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:34 PM

1,924 posts, read 4,610,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
The sticky thread on single women who may WANT to retire to a new state has become really long, and maybe folks would rather know about the experiences of single people who have actually uprooted themselves upon retirement to live in a new state, or at least far from their pre-retirement home.

Found a wonderful home in a new area that was itself a hidden gem. Bought the house, explored the area, still loved it. But. Found I missed my friends and being near my kids. Luckily my old place had not sold so I headed back and am reselling the retirement home. The great thing is I had a new experience and discovered how much I liked my old life. (Plus I did have a chance to enjoy the new area, making lots of short trips from the home as a new 'hub'.) My advice would be this: just because you are retiring and suddenly feel free to live wherever you want to, don't be in a hurry to do so. Stay at least a year in your old city, even if you need to live somewhere cheaper to make ends meet.

What are some other experiences? Moving alone is such a different experience from doing so as a couple.
Thanks for sharing your experience. We can all learn from others who make moves solo. It would be helpful to have a sense of where you moved from and to and back again, at least in approximate terms, if you are willing to share. It provides a fuller picture of your experiences.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:06 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,913,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post

Very interesting topic, and a good point. I'm glad you started a new thread for this, because you're right that the other thread is so long that posts about actually experiences get lost in there.

I remember you were interested in Tappahannock for awhile. If that was the town you chose I'd love to hear more about it, since we've been interested in it too. Feel free to DM me if you don't feel comfortable posting details about the town you tried out.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:15 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,060,700 times
I was interested in your comment about staying in place for a year after you retire just to get used to such a big life change. I think it would help a person to know exactly how much money they will have coming in, going out, etc. as a retiree and also getting used to Medicare. It's a very good point.

The other thing that so many have mentioned on this forum is to not rush out a buy a home in your new location because then if you don't like it, it's a big hassle to "undo". You were very lucky your original home hadn't sold yet. I appreciate hearing from people who have actually made "the move."

Old 02-06-2013, 03:19 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,913,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
The other thing that so many have mentioned on this forum is to not rush out a buy a home in your new location because then if you don't like it, it's a big hassle to "undo". You were very lucky your original home hadn't sold yet. I appreciate hearing from people who have actually made "the move."
Good point. My former boss moved down to Georgia for retirement. They chose a town they had vacationed in several times and thought they knew well, but after living there a year or so they decided to move back to northern VA. The only reason they were able to do that was they still owned the house up here. It was a real PITA for them, and while I was sorry to see them go through it it was a good life lesson for those of us who knew them.

My husband and I are having a reverse problem now... we think we want to move to Williamsburg. We've gone down several times now to look at houses. But every time there seems to be a problem--I suspect the real problem is we're a little scared to make the move, after seeing what happened to our friend. Even though we really like the town.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:27 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,592 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Likewise, a couple I met last week had gone to Costa Rica for retirement, but after a yr, they got fed up with all the ex-pats from USA and Canada. (detracted from the reason they went... to be in a NEW culture without Whiners)

Fortunately, they had retained their USA home, AND were able to sell the Costa Rica one at a small profit... so it was a one yr holiday / learning experience.

They came back to USA and are keeping their primary home, and renting in various destinations till they find the correct HOME (locale).

Old 02-06-2013, 04:37 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,136,795 times
I'm a single woman who moved from CA to VA, from big city to rural country 7 years ago and am still very happy with my choice. As luck would have it I sold my Bay Area home that I'd been in for 16 years at the very top of the real estate bubble and the farm that I found in VA was far less expensive than the little bungalow I'd sold. Had I hung on to much of the cash that I got from that sale I could have bought my old house back about two years later when in went into foreclosure and sold for about 44% of what I'd gotten in the sale. But I had no desire to got back to CA.

I did wait about a year after retiring before I moved but that was not a planned decision. I'd quit my job about 9 months earlier than I'd originally planned to and spend many months detoxifying from that job that I'd hated for years. Didn't do much more than take all the dogs to one dog park or another for several hours a day.

Yes, there are things I miss about my old location, mostly the climate but what I feel I gained far exceeds the occasional difficulties of dealing with winter weather here. I have far more good friends here than in my old life, mainly because I got involved with the local humane society and finally "found" my true calling. I spend somewhere between 25 and 30 hours a week doing "work" for them, the bulk of the time is devoted to fostering dogs at my home but I also do other things too.

I did not leave an extended family when I left CA and that too must have some impact on the decisions one makes in a move, especially if it is a long distance from "home".

I should perhaps add that the home I am now in is one that could easily accommodate live in help should I become frailer but not in need of being in any sort of skilled nursing facility.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:32 PM

1,924 posts, read 4,610,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Likewise, a couple I met last week had gone to Costa Rica for retirement, but after a yr, they got fed up with all the ex-pats from USA and Canada. (detracted from the reason they went... to be in a NEW culture without Whiners)

Fortunately, they had retained their USA home, AND were able to sell the Costa Rica one at a small profit... so it was a one yr holiday / learning experience.

They came back to USA and are keeping their primary home, and renting in various destinations till they find the correct HOME (locale).
Interesting. I've been reading about Costa Rica retirement on other boards, and I can certainly understand the yearning to go back "home" if you are surrounded with ex-pats who are whiners in your new location. I've heard this about Mexico, though retiring to Mex is I think diminishing due to the increased drug crime. Renting is definitely the best thing to do in any potential retirement location to search out the right spot without a commitment.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:17 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,307,583 times
I moved from Southern CA to Southwest Louisiana, from a city to a rural area. I love it. I have much more disposable income due to the lower cost of living. If you move here, you should learn to dance. There are tons of outdoor festivals -free or very low cost and everyone dances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or