Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 02:59 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times

Advertisements

Personally, I would prefer to see mail delivery 2-3 days per week with a commitment that the Postal Service would actually deliver on those days.

We still get a lot of mail. However, we can count on getting NO mail every other Saturday and occasionally on Wednesdays. Personally, I think that their are NO substitutes for the primary carrier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 04:57 PM

14,466 posts, read 20,640,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Personally, I think that their are NO substitutes for the primary carrier.
That is true, but the regular full time carriers are given a few hours of overtime and some of their routes are over 8 hours. So they have a substitute for the day they desire off. At least that was the way it worked a few years ago. The carrier's used the substitutes to their advantage, so I worked Mondays. It was part of my training. Also, it can take up to 4-5 years for a part time carrier like myself to get my own route. You have to work your way up the seniority lists. I only got to work 2 days a week. I was expected to do that for 3+ years to get a route myself.

Part of the problem was, and may still be, that the city carriers and rural carriers are members of two different unions. Two different unions and you have issues.

Our mail is close to 6pm getting here on Mondays when the weather is bad. It's because the regular carrier is letting the new carrier deliver on Monday, the worse day of the week in many cases.

For those of you who get mail every day, Monday through Saturday, think back to the two weeks before Christmas. During those two weeks, one day in each week should have been very slow and your mail arrived very late. Due to the over whelming number of packages that had to be taken to the door and the new carriers not being fast or knowing the route well enough to sort the mail quickly, etc.

I too thought it might be good for the postal service to deliver Monday and Tuesday, skip Wednesday and then Thursday and Friday.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:36 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
The idea has been proposed several times and always blocked. Postal workers are protected from layoff but still beef about reduced overtime (I think the opposite will occur). Many rural residents understandably also concerned. My prediction is Congress will come up with more money for the Post Office and Saturday service will continue. That is probably the intent of management anyway.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:56 AM

858 posts, read 2,993,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
My prediction is Congress will come up with more money for the Post Office and Saturday service will continue. That is probably the intent of management anyway.
That would not be a real solution, and I hope Congress keeps their noses out of it. The Postmaster General is finally making a sound business decision, and we all simply needto accept it.

The best benefit is the positive environmental impact!

Old 02-14-2013, 12:14 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
I see absolutely no reason why anyone in the US needs to get their mail delivered 6 days a week, they should have stopped this nonsense a long time ago. I say deliver Mon-Fri and eventually cut that down to 4 days a week. At work, we get nothing of relevance in the mail anymore that needs to be delivered every day, and at home there's nothing in there that can't wait a day or two. I say eliminate all this junk mail, it is a ridiculous waste of paper and trees! Times are changing and the post office needs to change if they hope to survive at all. I see no reason to spend any Federal dollars bailing them out if they won't change their ways, like we who work have all had to do.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
That would not be a real solution, and I hope Congress keeps their noses out of it. The Postmaster General is finally making a sound business decision, and we all simply needto accept it.

The best benefit is the positive environmental impact!
I don't thin aso or congress would ahve alrady. there is not teh vote to increase subsiding the postal service ;really.Especailly i these times of budget cuts coming.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:47 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
No big deal, I can wait an extra two days for my junk mail. We have a part time rural mail carrier who only works Saturday's here, guess she's going to be laid off. I wonder how many will be laid off because of this?

Old 02-14-2013, 03:21 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,472,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
No big deal, I can wait an extra two days for my junk mail. We have a part time rural mail carrier who only works Saturday's here, guess she's going to be laid off. I wonder how many will be laid off because of this?
Probably not enough will be laid-off. I suspect the USPS is big-time overloaded with far too many employees just like most every independent agency of the U.S. government.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:10 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,796,788 times
Guess I need to read all the posts, but upon first glance, this seems more suited for the Economics or Politics threads. I don't get the retirement connection. (But I'll read the thread)

Old 02-17-2013, 10:59 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
I work for the postal service. I know most people believe the postal service is a drain on the government and the taxpayers. How many know that two independent audits by OMB and by the office of inspector general showed the postal service overpaid into the Civil Service Retirement System for 30 years to the estimate of $50-$70 billion dollars? Congress knows this and they refuse to ever pay that money back. With a $1.6 trillion deficit they aren't going to give back the money they owe because they don't have it..
If anyone has really been subsidizing anyone, it's the USPS that has been subsidizing the US government.
The USPS is poorly run, but part of that is the fault of the US Congress. Big surprise, huh?
As far as Saturday delivery ending, it will give me a regular weekend so that is a nice benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement