Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 06:04 AM

419 posts, read 656,292 times

Advertisements

Comments please from those who moved to a different state/different coast especially when they were in their late 60's or early 70's. Sooooo want to change locations when hubby retires - in 4 years unless his back gives out before then.

Know about the shock and adjusting etc. Would not buy but rent so would not be tied to a place if it wasn't a good fit.

How did you get from one destination to another - did you move yourself - downsize and just moved essentials? Hubby is torn between not taking his tools but then he wonders if he would need them since DIYing etc would not be in our plans. Did you rent an apartment (ugh) or house and did you a pet that went along? Did you stay or move to another location? I like the idea of being mobile to just up and move somewhere else but wonder if at that age if it is really realistic - I mean really I'm not 20 anymore.

I like the idea of moving to a different coast so we can travel throughout that other coast and visit places we have never been.

I'm hoping to get some valuable response that will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 06:58 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
My Dad 80 this year, is moving (some time this spring/summer 2013) Moving from a 4 bedroom house that was to big when He & mom (passed 6 yrs ago) bought it. (All us kids were gone by then).

He is moving to a rental, his plan is to move closer to town, (where two my sisters live). into either a condo or townhouse. (No outside Maint, Little inside).

The only tools he plans to take is minor tools for home maintenance inside, Hammers, screwdriver, pliers etc.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:36 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Of the 3 local (PNW) rural couples I have helped transition to LOWER MAINT places in their mid 80's... They had EACH started a new life / adventure in their late 60's and early 70's. They took on HUGE projects of creating a new homestead and clearing forest... One couple built an airstrip and hangar / maint facility. TOO much from my perspective. They were pretty worn out by age 82 - 84 and too much to care for.

I would say you're in a great position to make an INFORMED and realistic transition to your liking, and RENTING is a great idea. You might consider building a second residence / shop with apartment at one of your kids or friends in your current or potentially future resting spot. (So you have a place to store tools / treasures, and a home to retreat to when you WILL need care.)

I would hang onto the good / tough to replace tools, but realize you may have low probability of needing them all. (DH might spring to LIFE after retirement... MANY do ). Much stuff can be replaced for shipping costs, + you might need to 'upgrade' them to get new features. (such as entertainment / computer / diagnostic equip.)

I keep most tools / treasures passed on from generations. I keep a few separate residences, so ez to spread around. (Will be tougher for heirs to sell, but if they want something, they better let me know...) There is gonna be a LARGE sale!

Old 02-06-2013, 12:57 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,491,142 times
I live in a condo building where some of our newest residents have relocated to Chicago from places such as Boston and S. Florida ... and they're in their late-70s to mid-80s. Some are moving to the USA for a foreign country. In most instances they're widowed women moving close to children who live nearby. They seem to make friends easily and, depending on their health, they participate in various activities in and out of the building. These people tell me they're happy with the move, primarily because they're closer to children. I don't know of one of our older unit owners who has moved to Chicago without having family here already. We don't have people moving to Florida, like they once did. Nor wintering in Florida, as was customary for my building. The seniors are staying put, for the most part. I believe the economic downturn has caused many people to alter their behavior.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
BTW: Finding meaningful new Relationship / activities / new friends and adventure, HAS NOT been a significant barrier to most older couples / singles I deal with. (depends on the individual, but most can handle this part.)

In the USA many folks are 'transplants', yet some regions still are not accepting of that. Do your homework! Go someplace known for accepting new people.

Since I stay in 'private homes' while traveling / researching locations, I get a pretty good feel and guidance for local societal issues.

And Gomex, is correct, there is significantly more folks 'Staying put'. Ironically, the same disruptive technologies that has changed the way we shop / do commerce, also enables us to STAY put. Skype instead of moving to same town as grandkids.... (not that it is adequate replacement, but at least it is an available tool).

Old 02-06-2013, 02:01 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,075,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I live in a condo building where some of our newest residents have relocated to Chicago from places such as Boston and S. Florida ... and they're in their late-70s to mid-80s. Some are moving to the USA for a foreign country. In most instances they're widowed women moving close to children who live nearby. They seem to make friends easily and, depending on their health, they participate in various activities in and out of the building. These people tell me they're happy with the move, primarily because they're closer to children. I don't know of one of our older unit owners who has moved to Chicago without having family here already. We don't have people moving to Florida, like they once did. Nor wintering in Florida, as was customary for my building. The seniors are staying put, for the most part. I believe the economic downturn has caused many people to alter their behavior.
Lots of good points here. I was going to bold face a few points I particularly liked but then realized I would be boldfacing the whole paragraph.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:33 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,141 times
We retired to Charleston SC from Boston in 2002 at age 62. Now my wife was from SC but we chose Charleton when they were all in Columbia, 120 miles away. We downsized in house cost $500K to $200K but upsized in home size. When we moved we knew no one in Charleston. Ended up making friends based around a golf club we joined. Life was good.

In 2010 we started talking about dowsizing once more and moving closer to family in Columbia SC. We did it in 2011 (at age 70). One big issue was my "workshop". I decided as long as were were going small that is one thing that would have to be downsized. Also as I aged, my hobby became more like work and things I used to enjoy doing I no longer wanted to do. One thing I wanted out from under was any household projects. We downsized to a brand new 1500sq ft standalone home in an HOA. The HOA does all outside maintainence. Both landscaping and house exterior. Life is easier, simpler, less expensive, less complicated, and we are loving it.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:44 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,818,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Of the 3 local (PNW) rural couples I have helped transition to LOWER MAINT places in their mid 80's... They had EACH started a new life / adventure in their late 60's and early 70's. They took on HUGE projects of creating a new homestead and clearing forest... One couple built an airstrip and hangar / maint facility. TOO much from my perspective. They were pretty worn out by age 82 - 84 and too much to care for.

I would say you're in a great position to make an INFORMED and realistic transition to your liking, and RENTING is a great idea. You might consider building a second residence / shop with apartment at one of your kids or friends in your current or potentially future resting spot. (So you have a place to store tools / treasures, and a home to retreat to when you WILL need care.)

I would hang onto the good / tough to replace tools, but realize you may have low probability of needing them all. (DH might spring to LIFE after retirement... MANY do ). Much stuff can be replaced for shipping costs, + you might need to 'upgrade' them to get new features. (such as entertainment / computer / diagnostic equip.)

I keep most tools / treasures passed on from generations. I keep a few separate residences, so ez to spread around. (Will be tougher for heirs to sell, but if they want something, they better let me know...) There is gonna be a LARGE sale!
Lots of great advice here. I second the notion that if it costs more to ship than it's worth, then just sell it or give it away, and then replace it later, except for sentimental items or souvenirs from travels, etc. But as far as furniture and household items, a calculation about what it's worth, what it costs to ship and what it costs to replace should definitely be done before just packing everything up without thinking about it much.

I have hobbies, so those items will need to go with me to my new place (haven't decided where that is yet), but my furniture is IKEA or other inexpensive stuff that I can easily sell before moving. We all want to hang on to our treasures, and I plan to scan all my old photos that were taken with film/pre-digital, so I can have them as a record, but not have to pack/ship all of it. Clothes? good time to weed out old stuff not being worn, or things that no longer fit..... Moving isn't fun, but seeing it as an adventure can help!

Old 02-06-2013, 03:26 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,073 times
Default Go someplace known for accepting new people.

Very good point...I realize more and more that this is something I really need to factor into my retirement move search.

I've known people who move in their later years, it really depends on the person's personality, financial situation, if they have moved before in their lifetime, what they hope to get out of a move, how they handle disappointment, etc. I'm always impressed by the people who can successfully make a major move of any kind. I've moved around quite a bit in my life so the idea of moving isn't a new experience, it's just finding the right place (at least for me).

A very dear friend of mind is 83 and she is thinking of moving back to the midwest (her roots are there).

Old 02-08-2013, 12:47 PM

6,592 posts, read 7,084,533 times
Default Not 70 yet

Okay I am not 70 yet. I am planning on moving out of MA to TX in 6 years. I am 55 and my wife is 54 soon to be 55. I also plan on moving even later as I age. For the first move we are moving to a warmer climate and plan on traveling. We will travel as much as we can avoiding some of the hotest weather and returning to enjoy the cooler. When traveling is not as important we will stay closer to people our age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement