U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 01:19 PM

281 posts, read 633,308 times

Advertisements

I was talking to some friends of mine about their Grandkids. They only have four grandchildren but seem to know almost nothing about them even though they live only a few miles away. One of their grandchildren is a High School Senior so I asked him if the boy was going on to college. They did not know. I told them that was strange that they knew so little about someone they saw almost every week. They disagreed and said it was none of their business and their daughter never mentioned it and they thought it was nosy to ask.

Would you know if your High School Senior Grandson who lived locally was planning on going to college?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 01:33 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,945,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tired Man View Post

Would you know if your High School Senior Grandson who lived locally was planning on going to college?
Maybe yes, maybe no. On the one hand, asking about college plans is something I'm comfortable doing. On the other hand, I've been in a similar situation and realized how little I know about other peoples' kids even if I see them all the time. My brother lives near me. We're pretty close--we vacation together, hang out together, and I see his kids all the time. Even though we talk about a lot of things I guess the topic of college never came up. I remember being surprised when the youngest one didn't go to college straight out of high school and I didn't know this until September rolled around and I happened to ask where he was going. I don't think he was keeping it a secret, but it just wasn't something that happened to come up.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:07 PM

5,825 posts, read 13,337,677 times
Our grandchildren live 30 miles from us and when we are around (we travel quite frequently) we see them on an average at least once a week, attend their school functions, have them over for sleepovers, go shopping, etc. When we are traveling, we keep in touch via Skype and emails. Their mom keeps us informed about their grades, problems, etc. We don't interfere with their upbringing, but are very "hands on" grandparents.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:42 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,011,439 times
Nothing yet, other than they're identical twin girls, and their names. DIL is at this very moment in labor, should deliver by tomorrow. They will be Aquarians instead of Pisces, intrigued by that. Should be an interesting pair!

Old 02-06-2013, 04:45 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,875,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Nothing yet, other than they're identical twin girls, and their names. DIL is at this very moment in labor, should deliver by tomorrow. They will be Aquarians instead of Pisces, intrigued by that. Should be an interesting pair!
How exciting!

Old 02-06-2013, 09:55 PM

8,771 posts, read 10,870,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Our grandchildren live 30 miles from us and when we are around (we travel quite frequently) we see them on an average at least once a week, attend their school functions, have them over for sleepovers, go shopping, etc. When we are traveling, we keep in touch via Skype and emails. Their mom keeps us informed about their grades, problems, etc. We don't interfere with their upbringing, but are very "hands on" grandparents.
Ours have lived a little further away, but, we are also deeply and personally (but, not intrusively) involved in the lives of our grown children and our grand-children. Of course we know what they are doing socially and in school/careers --we ask them and/or they simply tell us (and often ask for advice). We also enjoy the the sleepovers, school events, shopping, etc. and eep in touch while traveling. We plan to take the two oldest grandkids on a cruise over their spring break. ----That's what close families do and I feel sorry for those who do not have this type of relationship with their kids/grandkids.... It takes a genuine interest and time, but, it's worth it!

Old 02-07-2013, 10:52 AM

30,721 posts, read 49,529,915 times
I think it depends a lot on what kind of relationship exists between grand-parent and grand-child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or