U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 PM

857 posts, read 1,779,482 times

Advertisements

Does anyone out there who can afford real nice vacations abroad prefer to say home and do local entetainment activities.

We can no longer go because of our elderly pets but I am begiining to find when I hear people talk about their abroad vacations as something I no longer want to do ,even in the future because of all the hassle that goes with it.

No more airports,great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 11:46 PM

19,838 posts, read 18,855,957 times
I can't afford a lot but I want to go to England and I would love to head out on a cruise in the winter. So far, our dog has been one reason for not going anywhere. We had one dog who was very sick and he finally died. So what did we do but get another one. I do have one person who is trustworthy and would care for the dog but not at holiday time when he is not available.

It is kind of a hassle to plan for a holiday and get the tickets and all, worrying about the weather and how your health will be. If you really really want to go somewhere, none of that will hold you back though. I foresee a time when I won't want to be bothered with any of it so I can understand what you're saying.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:48 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,958,968 times
Abbara I can certainly understand getting to a certain age and deciding that Airports and extended travel are just all too much. Airports and flying are definitely not what they were 20 years ago. My husband and I are still at the age where we find traveling fun and exciting. We do miss the days when flying was more customer and service oriented, but once we arrive at our destination, we almost always have a great experience. We understand that at some point we will stop traveling...but we are definitely not there yet. We don't have pets.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:50 AM

3,752 posts, read 9,604,552 times
I am with Cattknap. We did almost all our traveling when young and the world has changed so much. It can actually be quite depressing to go to countries where they are rushing to try and become Americanized due to fast globalization. We also remember airline travel before 9/11.

We have a couple more long trips in us and then I think it will be the USA and what we have not seen here for us.

But I am glad we did our foreign travel when we did. Otherwise I would not have been able to travel in the old wood train cars in England or see India before they have changed. We got to see Egypt in between political problems.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:39 AM

6,936 posts, read 7,260,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post
Does anyone out there who can afford real nice vacations abroad prefer to say home and do local entetainment activities.
No. Not me. Why? Because I can "do local entertainment activities" whenever I want. I can't say the same about travel abroad.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:58 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,911,006 times
I've gotten past the stage of wanting to go to the ends of the earth just to see what was there. Glad I did it, but was usually a little underwhelmed by what I found. My days of wanting to travel to 3rd world countries is behind me too. Europe, New Zealand, the Mediterranean, and much of the Caribbean I continue to like.

I can relate to the OP, though. I'm glad I traveled in my 20s but these days travel has its moments when it can be kind of annoying. I'd rather sleep in my own bed, and a lot of the things I like to do are right here in my own backyard. I'd rather hop a train into DC and leisurely immerse myself in the Smithsonians, rather than be on some frantic tour another country in which I'd have just an hour or two in a museum and not enough time to fully look at the exhibits.

The same thing goes for hiking. I'd rather hike the Appalachian trail and feel free to spend an hour at one scenic spot taking photos of the birds or immersing myself in tai chi. If I take a a bus tour to some park in some other country, or drive a long way to get there, I rarely immerse myself in the same way. Instead, we'll hurry hurry hurry to hike the trails there, to see the "magnificent view" at the end of the trail which often isn't that different from what I have at home or have seen somewhere else. Then you have to hustle back because the tour only gives you a half day to do a whole national park. I find I'm often happier hiking the trails near my home.

Last edited by Caladium; 02-07-2013 at 08:10 AM..

Old 02-07-2013, 03:30 PM

15,149 posts, read 19,759,536 times
I, too, have an older dog and limit my activities because of her. She gives me so much joy that I dont consider anything I give up for her sake to be a sacrifice.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:36 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,737,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbara View Post

We can no longer go because of our elderly pets but I am begiining to find when I hear people talk about their abroad vacations as something I no longer want to do ,even in the future because of all the hassle that goes with it.

No more airports,great.
We did the around the travel thingy (socially and on business) for many, many years thus we have no urge to do such any more. I could care less about ever being on another plane. We now confine our little sojurns to within an easy (4 hour) driving distance and no more then 3 nights away.

Now had I never been anywhere, done anything, seen anything, etc. I would be chomping at the bit to do so especially if I had the time and money.

Been there, done that, got the Tshirt.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:52 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,299,956 times
I traveled a lot for business before I retired and got sick of it. Every airport looked the same, every rental car smelled the same and all the hotels had the same crappy 20 channel cable TV. Any traveling we do now will be by car or personal aircraft. I don't want to go through anymore TSA screening or rude flight attendants again.

Went to Hawaii by commercial airliner a few years back and spent 2 weeks on the island sick with a cold, I felt good before I left home. Just started to get over it when I made the trip back home again and had to sit next to a guy that kept sneezing on me, was sick for another 2 weeks.

We prefer to stay home!

Old 02-07-2013, 06:12 PM

496 posts, read 521,514 times
Well, that was fun. Think the ole family vacation might be out this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or