Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 05:19 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,525,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
You don't think there's an underclass in the United States? And - if there isn't an underclass - why do we have to pay tax dollars to pay for its needs? Robyn

We pay tax dollars to pay for your needs as well. Just because you think you're better than everyone else doesn't make it true.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:41 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post

Underclass and vermin are code words the Wyoming folks use in public.
What does "Underclass and vermin" mean? Black people? Latino people? Jews? Gays and Lesbians? City folks?

Old 02-26-2013, 08:08 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,667,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
What does "Underclass and vermin" mean? Black people? Latino people? Jews? Gays and Lesbians? City folks?
Read enough of Happy in Wyoming's posts and you will realize why I call him Hateful in Wyoming.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:19 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,479,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
OK - so with all your credentials - what have you read in the last year? I can tell you what I've read (the Kindle will always remind me) - although I do have some books that are not on Kindle. You might be surprised what I read - but you first. Robyn
My credentials (ie degree and experience as a librarian) don't mean I personally read a better class of books, they just equip me to help others discover books they might enjoy.

But because I love to talk books, here are just a few of the books I read this past year and enjoyed enough to enthusiastically recommend them to others:

Destiny of the Republic - a Tale of Madness, Medicine, and the Murder of a President by Candice Millard
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures by Anne Fadiman
Doc: A Novel by Mary Doria Russell
Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka
The Millennium Trilogy (aka Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series) by Steig Larsson
The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating by Elisabeth Tova Bailey
Red Glass by Laura Resau
The Queen of Water by Laura Resau
The Physician by Noah Gordon
Peaches for Father Francis by Joanne Harris
The Healing by Jonathan Odell
The Borderland: a Novel of Texas by Edwin Bud Shrake
The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah

Last edited by biscuitmom; 02-26-2013 at 10:30 PM..

Old 02-27-2013, 12:42 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,531,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Anyone seriously considering moving to Utah County, Utah ought to go over to the Utah thread and read some of what has been posted.

The bottom line is essentially this. Even among many LDS people, like myself, we'd never consider living there. The area is extremely provincial and narrow. Most social life in the county either takes place in churches or at family gatherings. I've actually been startled by how many Mormons in Utah make it clear they'd never move to Utah County.'

LDS kids are not rowdy vermin by a long stretch, but there are huge numbers of them and the local culture is far more geared towards young people than it is to old, retired people.

If you want a place that consistently votes 80% or more Republican, is 80% or more LDS, has the largest families in the nation, than Utah County is for you. If you don't fit these categories, and prefer a little diversity, I'd pick somewhere else.
Utah does have high taxes because of the high birth rate; that's one reason I eliminated it as a place to live.

But if I were going to live in Utah on the Wahsatch Front Utah County would be my choice. I've been there numerous times and always found people to be friendly, courteous, and honorable in their dealings. I've been in restaurants when a family with several children came in. I never saw or heard any ruckus. As you said and I agree, LDS kids are not rowdy vermin. A friend of mine, not LDS, has lived in a suburb of Provo for over twenty years and loves it. Like me, he's a former resident of an eastern big city and wouldn't go back for anything. He even knows what ward he's in so he can tell people where he lives.

I spent five years in the Evanston, Wyoming area, primarily LDS, and always felt welcome. Sure, LDS folks have their own private dances and social events; why shouldn't they? Like most people they're hoping their kids will marry "in the family" and keep that family, the religious family, together. My parents although not LDS wanted the same thing for me. Didn't yours?

Obama only carried 10% of the vote in Utah County but a couple of other counties in Utah beat them with 9%.

The county is 97% LDS. That means if you have two gray hairs teenagers shovel your walks and run up to you to grab your groceries and carry them to your door.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:56 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,076,714 times
Thread is closed for mod review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement