Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 08:23 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times

Advertisements

I also want to note that while I am (obviously) a fan of libraries, I'm also a big fan of the Kindle. Minervah made a very good point about being able to increase the font size. Also, Kindles are great because I can easily tuck 4-5 books in my purse. IMO, you can like both Kindles and libraries--especially since the place I get books for my Kindle is through the library.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:38 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
As a retired librarian (34 years - Library of Congress) I have to say I *love* this thread.

Libraries have been a big part of my life for as long as I can remember. My mother loved to read, and we couldn't afford to buy books when I was a kid, so she went to our local public library often, and I went with her. Two of my proudest moments: getting a library card of my own (the first card I ever had with my name on it), and the day the head librarian told me that ALL of the library was now open to me, and not just the kids section.

Libraries have evolved over the years to keep up - or try to keep up - with the evolution of society and ever-changing needs of the communities they serve. I totally agree with others who have said that the taxpayer's money that goes to support public libraries is money very well spent.

Thank you so much for this thread, Caladium.

And in_newengland? Absolutely, a library is a wonderful place.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:02 AM

7,126 posts, read 12,667,756 times
For those of us who love libraries, perhaps you'd enjoy this essay I wrote to salute libraries--especially the library in my small hometown where I spent so many happy hours as a shy and curious child:

Old Enough for Catcher in the Rye | Vibrant Village

Old 02-13-2013, 10:52 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
As for all those people who want to read "Fifty Shades of Gray" - they can do it with their own money - not my tax dollars. Robyn
Start a movement: Book Burning

I'll foot the bill for them so you don't have to feel outraged that someone wants to read something that offends you.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:52 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Green Gene, thanks for the compliment. Actually, Robynn deserves credit for starting this thread. It was started after a long discussion on another thread; she started the new thread because that one was going off topic. You'd really enjoy reading the initial discussion that sparked all this. Here's the link; it starts more or less at post #135:

Finding Walkable Towns for Retirement

Old 02-13-2013, 10:59 AM

342 posts, read 717,087 times
This thread makes me very happy - nice to know there are lots of library supporters out there, but I knew there would be. Several years ago in NJ, our Governor announced huge cuts in library support state wide. Literally millions of people signed petitions protesting the cuts and they were delivered to Trenton. While cuts were stilll made, they were far less draconian than originally proposed. So many people, not just the elderly, are big library supporters.

Interestingly, library usage is actually higher by more educated people than those with less education. Since the recession, usage nation wide is up. Borrowing books is still the number one way that libraries get used. Children's books are a big part of it.

Kindles are certainly a great innovation, but I don't think they will replace libraries anytime soon.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:08 AM

We use our libraries. We have four cards, one for each area library.

There are three shelves in one of our piers for library books. The top one is for Mrs. Tek, the center for me, and the bottom for finished books to be returned.

Today there are four on her shelf (plus the one she's reading which is one I brought home), two on mine (plus the one I'm reading), and none to be returned. A bit lean for us, but we've both been sick and not reading as much as usual.

A use for the libraries here, and more so for cold climates, is a place for the homeless to spend their time.

The library we use most often is a branch and was recently rebuilt. It is LEED certified and has charging stations for hybrid cars. Pretty cool.

There always people of all ages at the library when we go. From infants to older-than-me farts. There are always people reading at the common tables and someone on the computers. And the senior center for the area is next door.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:13 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
As a retired librarian (34 years - Library of Congress) I have to say I *love* this thread.

Libraries have been a big part of my life for as long as I can remember. My mother loved to read, and we couldn't afford to buy books when I was a kid, so she went to our local public library often, and I went with her. Two of my proudest moments: getting a library card of my own (the first card I ever had with my name on it), and the day the head librarian told me that ALL of the library was now open to me, and not just the kids section.

Libraries have evolved over the years to keep up - or try to keep up - with the evolution of society and ever-changing needs of the communities they serve. I totally agree with others who have said that the taxpayer's money that goes to support public libraries is money very well spent.

Thank you so much for this thread, Caladium.

And in_newengland? Absolutely, a library is a wonderful place.
I was a teacher, a library assistant in a small public library, and then a school librarian after I got my MLIS degree.

With the school kids, I almost didn't care what some of them read, even comic books, as long as they were reading. The smarter kids will read the higher quality books but there is value for some kids just in reading words and following a story line.

Libraries function as learning centers and with the low quality of education in this country now, we do need these centers of life long learning and of what you might even call the preservation of civilization.

The library buildings don't have to be bigger anymore, that lack of space bubble has burst with the advent of technology but we still need a civilized place to gather and learn. It should be free for everyone and should be cherished as a place to keep learning alive. Libraries are happy and stimulating places. If we lose libraries, we are truly sliding backwards as a country.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I was a teacher, a library assistant in a small public library, and then a school librarian after I got my MLIS degree.

With the school kids, I almost didn't care what some of them read, even comic books, as long as they were reading.
The smarter kids will read the higher quality books but there is value for some kids just in reading words and following a story line.

Libraries function as learning centers and with the low quality of education in this country now, we do need these centers of life long learning and of what you might even call the preservation of civilization.

The library buildings don't have to be bigger anymore, that lack of space bubble has burst with the advent of technology but we still need a civilized place to gather and learn. It should be free for everyone and should be cherished as a place to keep learning alive. Libraries are happy and stimulating places. If we lose libraries, we are truly sliding backwards as a country.
Amen to that.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:30 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
http://search.overdrive.com/classic/

Interesting link to what is available on kindle from a library that is not even anywhere near you!

I live nowhere near Boston but I am going to sign up to receive ebooks from the Boston Public Library. Imagine having a huge city library at your fingertips! A lot is still not available yet on kindle but more and more items will be added. FREE. I'm waiting for more history and other non fiction. It's coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement