U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 11:13 AM

54 posts, read 86,680 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Never thought I'd find myself in this situation but all my family and friends are gone. It is just me and my little dog. I need to make out a will but don't know what to do about an executor, and want to make sure my dog is taken of if I should pass on before it does.

Sure would appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks
Binkus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 11:23 AM

5,601 posts, read 4,929,432 times
Not sure what area you are in, but there are some animal agencies that you can make arrangements to have them care for your dog for the rest of its life upon your passing. Maybe SPCA can make some recommendations for something like that in your area.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 AM

Thanks! I will start checking them out.

I don't know what to do about an executor. You never think you will find yourself outliving friends and family. I wonder how many folks have found themselves in a similar situation.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:18 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,053,444 times
You can hire an attorney to be your executor.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:53 PM

Thanks love autumn. Would an attorney be better than a bank's trust department?

Last edited by Binkus; 02-14-2013 at 02:16 PM..

Old 02-14-2013, 02:17 PM

29,764 posts, read 34,848,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkus View Post
Hi!

Never thought I'd find myself in this situation but all my family and friends are gone. It is just me and my little dog. I need to make out a will but don't know what to do about an executor, and want to make sure my dog is taken of if I should pass on before it does.

Thanks
Binkus
You are probably going to need more than a will and executor. You will need a vehicle to handle and dispense the money for the dog to be taken care of and someone to take care of the dog. Also your dog will not have a will so you want to give thought to what happens to your assets after the dog passes. I would suggest step one is talking with an attorney and deciding what your range of options are.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:39 PM

Thanks for the advice, TuborgP. Looks like I have more to consider than I originally thought.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:23 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,167,665 times
Quote:
Thanks love autumn. Would an attorney be better than a bank's trust department?
Hard to say, but I had a bank for mine and they sold out to another bank and that voids my executor situation, so I had to change it. With all the bank mergers it is something to consider.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:38 PM

6,936 posts, read 7,255,608 times
Quote:
Hi!

Thanks
Binkus
An attorney experienced in estate planning is who you should probably be consulting. Believe it or not, others have and continue to find themselves in a similar position. Best of luck. If you need the correct spelling of my name, to include me as a beneficiary ... just ask!

Old 02-14-2013, 03:48 PM

gomexico - LOL! I know I'm not alone in this situation. I always considered myself a social person but here I am without a support net of friends or family. Don't get me wrong, I am not feeling sorry for myself. I finally realize that I need to make plans for when my time comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement