Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 07:01 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,308 times

Advertisements

A criminal investigation has been opened on the Brookdale death.

At a minimum - if the nurse is licensed in CA - she will lose her license for not responding.

Licenses are not governed - by what the corporation wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 07:26 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
If you do end up in a nursing home, you want to be close to family who visits you routinely. Most nursing homes provide minimal care.

And for the most part, nurses in long term care are the bottom feeders. Don't get me started on the issues I have had with that bunch.

And...if you do end up in a nursing home, prior to that fill out an advanced directive, specifying the care you want. My Grandmother put my Uncle as her POA, and he decided she should have NOTHING to help her, not even water if she was dehydrated. Not even her food made soft to eat. He wanted her dead. It was cruel. And horrible to watch. I was helpless. It was the worst thing I have ever seen. He will burn for eternity.

And I knew my Grandmother would not have treated a dog the way she was treated.

If you want someone dead, give them a shot and end it. Don't let them waste away from lack of food and water.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:32 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
And for the most part, nurses in long term care are the bottom feeders. Don't get me started on the issues I have had with that bunch.
Clearly you are NOT a nurse, since you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

Why don't you go get licensed as or a nurse or even certified as a CNA and go work one day in a nursing home.

You'll run screaming. You clearly don't understand the level of dedication and hard work that goes into even being a mediocre caregiver much less a good one.

You judging a nurse is like a fat person judging a professional athletes performance on the field.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:07 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,308 times
+100000

Corporate health care/nursing home care does it's DAMNdest to understaff and leave acuity (patient to nurse ratio) at horrific levels.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:06 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Quote:
If you do end up in a nursing home, you want to be close to family who visits you routinely. Most nursing homes provide minimal care.

And...if you do end up in a nursing home, prior to that fill out an advanced directive, specifying the care you want. My Grandmother put my Uncle as her POA, and he decided she should have NOTHING to help her, not even water if she was dehydrated. Not even her food made soft to eat. He wanted her dead. It was cruel. And horrible to watch. I was helpless. It was the worst thing I have ever seen. He will burn for eternity.

If you want someone dead, give them a shot and end it. Don't let them waste away from lack of food and water.
I totally disagree. It is cruel to force feed someone who is near the end of her life. Was your grandmother moaning and asking for food and water? I seriously doubt it. If she were, you should have sought to have your uncle's POA terminated. And if you didn't, well, don't blame your uncle. There is no reason to believe he was not following her wishes. There are usually sound reasons why one relative is chosen to hold the POA versus another relative. The remaining relatives are not usually privy to the reasons behind the decision.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:54 AM

11 posts, read 20,897 times
mlb, I hope the nurse does lose her license. She doesn't deserve to be a nurse. I hope the Brookdale Corporation also is held accountable!

Had the lady been dying and was near death would have been different but to discover her with breathing difficulties, phone 911 and then stand by and watch her die IS a callous disregard for human life-Red Wolf.

When a patient is dying the facility usually notifies relatives so they may be with the individual. The patient is allowed to slip away peacefully. This certainly was not the case at Brookline.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:57 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
+100000

Corporate health care/nursing home care does it's DAMNdest to understaff and leave acuity (patient to nurse ratio) at horrific levels.
Not really. They cut staff because in most medicare/medicaid homes their profit margins are extremely thin.

For private pay and to a small extent, Medicare, the facility gets what it charges for rooms plus extra stuff, plus the patient pays for their medicine and any incidentals like taxi rides to appointments (dialysis, etc).

With Medicaid pays a set price which is usually MUCH lower than actual costs. Then out of that price, the nursing facility MUST cover all expenses, the room, medicine, taxi rides, therapy, and EVERYTHING else from that set fee that they get. The fee is also not static and can change based on scores that the resident brings in based on levels of care, therapy, and other needs.

What exactly is the first thing a nursing facility can control? Staffing.

The problem isn't nursing facilities. The problem is the hoardes of poor people on Medicare.

Those corporate nursing homes could go private, refuse Medicaid and only accept private pay. None of them would run short staffed then.

But then who will care for the poor?

While nursing is about caring, running a nursing home is a business. Not a charity.

Some states set minimal staffing levels and the facilities ride those levels. Hard...

Old 03-05-2013, 12:17 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,896 times
Quote:

When my father was in a nursing home, one day I got a call from my daughter that the Dr. had told her my father was dying and had hours to live, I rushed the 80 miles to the nursing home. When I arrived he was concious but unaware. they gave him morphine and he slept but fitfully. I was his health care Proxy. Well he did not die in hours, and the next day hospice people arrived, and gave me a booklet, that explained the dying process and said do not give food or water as it lengthens the time it takes the body to shut down. I was advised to follow that advice. I did so expecting him to die at any time. I sat by his bed for 8 DAYS as he had no food or water, he never regained consciousness again in all that time.
I have always felt horrible about it but It was what I was advised at the time and I knew he wanted to die, he had made that clear when he was clearer headed and as the doctors said it was not like he was going to continue living anyway. I do not expect to burn for eternity for this decision either.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:24 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
When my father was in a nursing home, one day I got a call from my daughter that the Dr. had told her my father was dying and had hours to live, I rushed the 80 miles to the nursing home. When I arrived he was concious but unaware. they gave him morphine and he slept but fitfully. I was his health care Proxy. Well he did not die in hours, and the next day hospice people arrived, and gave me a booklet, that explained the dying process and said do not give food or water as it lengthens the time it takes the body to shut down. I was advised to follow that advice. I did so expecting him to die at any time. I sat by his bed for 8 DAYS as he had no food or water, he never regained consciousness again in all that time.
I have always felt horrible about it but It was what I was advised at the time and I knew he wanted to die, he had made that clear when he was clearer headed and as the doctors said it was not like he was going to continue living anyway. I do not expect to burn for eternity for this decision either.
The hospice people told my mom, when my stepfather was dying, that at this point in the dying process it's more painful for the dying person to try to give them food or water than not to try it. They very likely can't swallow any more and would just choke.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:25 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
if you make it to 95 you are one of the chosen few. if you even make it to retirement you have practically won the lotto.
i love being old. the last 5 years made up for the first 59.
the chances of you getting ripped off by vampire relatives or getting mugged are much better than running out of money. reason u got money is bek you got it together where money is concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement