Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 02:35 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,937,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
You are talking about a licensed establishment. I was referring to something more casual..... more like a boarding house. No license, inspections, etc, etc involved. My motherinlaw had a neighbor in the 70's who "kept old men". It couldn't be done today, and I expect there were situations that weren't as pleasant as the one next door.
Was this more like a "boarding house" than a nursing home? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 02:40 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,865,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
widows in the south, and perhaps other places, with large houses to maintain use to "keep old men" for their SS checks. You would often see several elderly men on a sofa on the porch or in chairs in the yard under the trees. It was an acceptable practice. I am beginning to think of those as the good old days
These good old days?

Dorothea Puente - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-12-2015, 03:09 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,656,452 times
lol I am afraid to read that post because I'm sure it's a horror story about collecting checks after the boarder has passed on.... or worse.

But, yes, neg, it was more like a boarding house, I guess. Remember, this was 40 something years ago. I liked to visit. She would show me her huge old house and furniture. The men didn't talk much but seemed happy. I remember her being a good cook.

My motherinlaw didn't like me going over but I do remember that 'keeping old men" was considered a legitimate source of income for widows (women of a certain age with a house and no husband).

Old 04-12-2015, 06:38 PM

138 posts, read 231,809 times
Mathjak- I really enjoy reading your posts and appreciate your wisdom. What are your thoughts on buying into a CCRC-Continueing Care Retirement Center and live independently while you can. Then if and/or when you need assisted living or skilled nursing, it is available.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:30 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,419,437 times
[quote=mathjak107;39187542]the problem is trying to save enough in an hsa to cover both your medical and long term care. i know there is W

Here is a funny thing: I never even investigated "High Deductible" Plans. Having a frugal nature, anytime I hear about something that smacks of "cash outlay", like "HIGH DEDUCTIBLE", I thrust a clove of garlic between the hint of spending money and my ears, the better to keep it away (sorta like it's a vampire).

Turns out - except for the match - I shoulda signed up for an HD plan, maxed out an HSA, and devil take the hindmost, lol!

Drats! Story of my life. Woulda, shoulda, coulda - it really is funny! Not recognizing the other advantages of a HSA, I mean. Totally giving in to my bone deep aversion to unnecessary spending.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:20 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Was this more like a "boarding house" than a nursing home? Just curious.
Boy does that bring back memories. My late mother had a house in White Plains. She bought it from a family who explained that the house came with a permanent resident. A Little Old Man who was a recluse, a Korean War veteran, who lived in a room on the second floor of the carriage house (this was not a conversion: this was a genuine carriage house) and tended to the grounds. He was quiet and polite, a fiiine gardener! He had no visible source of income other than military disability. He'd lived there since the war, and died in his sleep one night.

E.g., my mom's version of the boarding house.

I think boarding houses may make a comeback. A lot of us are going to be "Joes" in the future, methinks, especially if we have small families.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:21 AM

106,238 posts, read 108,237,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkbaby View Post
Mathjak- I really enjoy reading your posts and appreciate your wisdom. What are your thoughts on buying into a CCRC-Continueing Care Retirement Center and live independently while you can. Then if and/or when you need assisted living or skilled nursing, it is available.
i know nothing about them so i can't comment.

we have a traditional plan so i am familiar with them , i also looked in to linked benefit plans in case my diabetic tendencies got me rejected but aside from conversations with our estate attorney and legal maneuvers i didn't need learn about anything else.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:39 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,906,412 times
My grandfather ended up in a nursing home at 94 when dementia set on. Before that he was very independent. But for me if I can't take care of myself hopefully I'll have just enough strength to reach for that '45.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:31 AM

85 posts, read 155,007 times
Having watched family members (including the Husband's father) die lingering deaths that the pain medication couldn't touch at the end, it eases my mind a little to live in a state with a Death With Dignity Act. I might never use the prescription, but it would help me to know that the option was there.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:53 AM

14,017 posts, read 20,869,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
With due respect, ER - methinks you come off a tad patronizing here.

As if: from your vantage atop the Mount, you sigh. Then patiently impart The Truth - once more - to the mortals below. In this case, you interpret Branson's remark literally, and to the max, with amazement (a tactic I have witnessed more than once in the lawyer-infested mazes of DC).

Tends to put the witness on the defensive: "In other words, you admit you are guilty of the crime!". "Not at all. I WILL NOT drive 500 miles one way to appear in court to dispute a $15 parking ticket" kind of thing.

JMO. Quite possibly you are deaf to your tone.
Given the idiocy of the post to which I was responding, there was no compelling reason why I would make the effort to avoid being patronizing. Actually, given the context, my post was rather restrained.

And no, I am not deaf to tone. My writing skills are not so lacking that I would be deaf to tone, either my own or other people's.

What is really interesting about your post is why you ignore the substance of the exchange (which would be on-topic for the thread) in order to make comments about tone. Your post was off-topic (at least in my opinion which apparently differs from that of the moderators, and I respect that totally), and so is my response to it. What is the interest in discussing people's tone? I could see such a discussion in the Writing Forum.

Quite possibly you are reading too much into this anyway for your own reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement