U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 06:11 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsy girl View Post
....it has never been that difficult to get a bed , as medicare will pay after 3 day hospital stay.

catsy girl
Medicare would only pay 80%, right? And the balance picked up by private insurance, medigap, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 06:14 PM

29,782 posts, read 34,876,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I don't know if you're especially interested in learning about this now (I actually am not). But "continuing care" isn't a medically recognized type of care - although there are continuing care retirement communities (CCRCs) - which are a totally different animal.

And - based on my very limited experiences in different states - you have independent senior living facilities - assisted living facilties - and skilled nursing facilities. Plus perhaps some state specific stuff like those Alzheimer's places I ran across in California.

Usually - the only type of facility that takes Medicaid is a skilled nursing facility. And there's no requirement that they do so.

Since you're in North Carolina - I will share this information with you. My late MIL and FIL both lived in North Carolina - in the Pinehurst area (they moved there from NJ when they retired). We didn't have much to say about my late MIL's care there - but I thought it was primitive when it came to things like nursing homes. Ditto with my late FIL's care there (no specifics - they're not fit for prime time audiences). Anyway - after my MIL died - and my FIL had a stroke - we moved him here to an excellent SNF in north Florida. At some point - it seemed like he might be ready for an ALF or similar - and he wanted to go back to NC. I called social services in his county - and got on the phone with a very nice intelligent woman (who was originally from NYC). Basically - she said - the places where my FIL came from suck** (not to put too fine a point on it). What she said became moot when my FIL developed other medical issues - but there are parts of NC (and I'm sure many other states as well) where health and elder care are really primitive.

I honestly think it's hard to generalize about SNFs - even classes of SNFs. For example - my late FIL (who wasn't Jewish) spent his last years in a Jewish non-profit SNF here. And we thought it was great. I have a cousin-in-law in Los Anegeles who thinks the Jewish SNF in Los Angeles is awful (can't vouch for her POV - but it just shows you can't generalize about these things). Robyn
I am analyzing Contininuing care through nursing home care in the NC Triangle and back up in DC area and perhaps a few other places. I have eliminated most of NC for the reasons you give. I am zeroing in on Continuing Care Communities with programs from continuing care thru nursing home with a stop at assisted living in between. I am aware of nice programs and am learning that in many cases you are dealing with the marketing department when trying to establish cost. Why now? To try to make sure I will still be able to afford it down the road which if needed will hopefully be a very long time from now. Just like retirement was for us 40 years ago.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:53 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,932,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I am analyzing Contininuing care through nursing home care in the NC Triangle and back up in DC area and perhaps a few other places. I have eliminated most of NC for the reasons you give. I am zeroing in on Continuing Care Communities with programs from continuing care thru nursing home with a stop at assisted living in between. I am aware of nice programs and am learning that in many cases you are dealing with the marketing department when trying to establish cost. Why now? To try to make sure I will still be able to afford it down the road which if needed will hopefully be a very long time from now. Just like retirement was for us 40 years ago.
FWIW - I'd never get involved with a CCRC. I think they're charging people too little for entry fees - and promising too much in terms of end of life care (their economic models have been broken by increasing rates of longevity and Bernanke interest rate policies IMO). And - if a CCRC goes under - you're nothing more than an unsecured creditor. Better to save your dollars - and buy what you need on an as needed basis (or buy insurance from a solid insurance company). In order of things - I'd go for personal savings/payments first (by a long shot) - decent insurance second - CCRCs last. Robyn

Old 02-23-2013, 07:56 PM

688 posts, read 864,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Medicare would only pay 80%, right? And the balance picked up by private insurance, medigap, etc?

yes, i think medicare works that way for skilled nursing facilities, as it does for other medical care.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:

there are a few retiremnet communities- not ccrc's- that now offer independent retirement condos and cottages on a rental basis, rather than requiring a large outlay of cash for purchasing at the beginning. i know of two such communities in maryland, one in baltimore and one on the eastern shore, which have condos in one and condos/cottages in the other. both have assisted living on site as a part of the levels of care offered, and one has skilled nursing as a part of their program as well.
both of these cost between $1600 and $2500 per month, depending on size, and provide a dining program, transportation for medical and other services, maintenance, regular health monitoring, housekeeping services, and a calendar of events and activities. in these facilities, the investment is on a month to month basis, and there is some built in security if a resident suffers a decline or more care is permanently needed.
there might be more of these being developed as baby boomers especialy will be looking for options beyond the traditional ccrc.

catsy girl

Old 02-23-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
FWIW - I'd never get involved with a CCRC. I think they're charging people too little for entry fees - and promising too much in terms of end of life care (their economic models have been broken by increasing rates of longevity and Bernanke interest rate policies IMO). And - if a CCRC goes under - you're nothing more than an unsecured creditor. Better to save your dollars - and buy what you need on an as needed basis (or buy insurance from a solid insurance company). In order of things - I'd go for personal savings/payments first (by a long shot) - decent insurance second - CCRCs last. Robyn
Thats why I am watching and tracking and yes they do have empty beds and thus sales. It is a model that still needs to be shaken out and not create oversupply of beds.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsy girl View Post
there are a few retiremnet communities- not ccrc's- that now offer independent retirement condos and cottages on a rental basis, rather than requiring a large outlay of cash for purchasing at the beginning. i know of two such communities in maryland, one in baltimore and one on the eastern shore, which have condos in one and condos/cottages in the other. both have assisted living on site as a part of the levels of care offered, and one has skilled nursing as a part of their program as well.
both of these cost between $1600 and $2500 per month, depending on size, and provide a dining program, transportation for medical and other services, maintenance, regular health monitoring, housekeeping services, and a calendar of events and activities. in these facilities, the investment is on a month to month basis, and there is some built in security if a resident suffers a decline or more care is permanently needed.
there might be more of these being developed as baby boomers especialy will be looking for options beyond the traditional ccrc.

catsy girl
The Eastern Shore will be a popular ending spot for folks in the DC area for a lot of reasons. The popularity of St Michaels for wealthy DC sorts and Ocean City/Ocean Pines is begging for development along with several areas in the DC/Balti corridor. Folks can bring their parents from elsewhere and set them up in the area and be close to them. Maryland and NOVA are primed on the one hand for Active 55 and retirement oriented communities but the taxation and revenue challenges on the other hand might undermine it. The Triangle in NC had/has potential down the road as a popular destination but the recession and housing slump has slowed that down a chunk.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:23 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,382,758 times
[quote=Curmudgeon;28293601]You can buy lifetime coverage, at a price, but they've yet to define a "lifetime" other than to say you die at the end of one.

Yeah, kinda like when some product you buy comes with a "lifetime guarantee"...so, does that mean once it breaks and you want them to replace it free that the "items lifetime" has been exceeded since it died on ya??? Always wondered about that one....

Old 02-24-2013, 07:21 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,740,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I looked into long term care insurance... "just in case". The problem is that long term care has to be prescribed by your doctor in order for the insurance company to cover it. Ain't gonna happen in my world. 20yrsinBranson
I don't follow you. What, exactly, "ain't gonna happen" in your world?

Old 02-24-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
The Eastern Shore will be a popular ending spot for folks in the DC area for a lot of reasons. The popularity of St Michaels for wealthy DC sorts and Ocean City/Ocean Pines is begging for development along with several areas in the DC/Balti corridor. Folks can bring their parents from elsewhere and set them up in the area and be close to them. Maryland and NOVA are primed on the one hand for Active 55 and retirement oriented communities but the taxation and revenue challenges on the other hand might undermine it. The Triangle in NC had/has potential down the road as a popular destination but the recession and housing slump has slowed that down a chunk.

i lived on the lower eastern shore for five years and it already has been attracting retirees from maryland's western shore- primarily from baltimore area. the lower shore of md. and the lower part of delaware- sussex county- have a southern feel to them as opposed to what may be found elsewhere in those states. the upper eastern shore- chestertown area- attracts d.c. residents as well as philadelphia and annapolis. it has a distinctly different feel than the lower shore- wicomico, worcester, somerset counties. there is a low key, relaxed feel to lower shore while upper shore is more cerebral, and undoubtedly more affluent. ocean city/ ocean pines is a totally different experience, and i don't really find those areas reflective of the eastern shore generally.

the rental community i mentioned in baltimore is in a gorgeous suburban area of north baltimore county, has been in existence for at least 50 years, and its residents come primarily from the local community, many having lived in baltimore county most of their lives.

catsy girl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or