Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 08:02 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times

Advertisements

Look at the 2010 census population by age and sex. It's not a tear drop shape at all.

http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/b...c2010br-03.pdf

There is a "bulge" between 45 and 65, and small "indentation" after that between 35 and 45. However, below 35, the % of the population, by age, is relatively stable. So, there will no great decline after the baby boomers, as many predict. How will that affect retirement communities? Well, since I didn't look to see the age distribution broken down by income, I can't really say.

But I don't think things will get a lot worse and a lot of what we see that is negative, today, is mainly due to the financial crisis. I would guess that retirement home sales are picking up these days.

However, it's not all about money. I think it has more to do with how well your body and attitude are aging.

Attitude is important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 08:29 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Many sides to this coin, but I do know many who like it and only a few who tried it and left.

I do know a few who passed it on to their kids and even some 3rd generation who have gotten them (and are living happily ever after in a home that is NOT falling apart.)

There are ways to try it on for more than a few days. I have stayed several times, up to a week as a guest of hosts within the communities, and know of others who have 'house sat', leased, and sub-leased.

The negatives for these is the older peers (usually in their 80's) and overzealous HOA leaders. The kind that never realized that they were terrible bosses and /or neighbor's in their former life. Plenty of those to go around. I could not deal with a HOA, so I will just continue to Visit my friends in 55+ communities. Ironically today I am visiting my mom who bought a home in a 55+ community near her Casa Grande home in LC, NM. after trying it on for 6 months... she is selling. All due to the over zealous HOA. She will remain in her 'big house'. Good choice for her. She is too old to be 're-trained' to comply with HOA police. She tried very hard, but there was always SOMETHING for the HOA to complain about. BTW, my mom is an immaculate home owner. BUT due to being a 'caregiver' who is up every 4 hrs administering meds, she was not ALWAYS able to fetch her paper off the driveway before 8AM. And instead of others being a nice neighbor and picking it up for her, they complained to the HOA, and then she had one week in the hospital and during a windy day... leaves from her tree got on the neighbors grass. Another Cardinal Sin.

Some of the monthly fees can be a bit much, so check that out. One guy complains a lot about the golf dues, as he has never touched a golf club in 70 yrs and doesn't expect to. Some places will split out the recreation facilities that YOU use, but that can become unfair too. (when you have guests, or in establishing a budget for the community when one service gets a jerk for director and members mutiny.)
I can totally understand every thing you are saying. I will readily admit it is not for everyone. We actually like the idea of an HOA because we know there won't be any old cars sitting in driveways being worked on, for example, or properties going to ruin that will drag down our property values. But not everybody likes the idea of having to ask "permission" to make certain changes. We got a copy of the CC&Rs and I read through every page (with highlighter in hand) to make sure they were something we could live with. One thing that bothered us a bit was that they didn't like 2 cars sitting in the driveway. Unfortunately with hubby still driving to PA every month, we have 3 cars right now. But that rule is actually not really being enforced. In fact the community manager sent out a notice saying that it has basically been taken off the books. I strongly suggest that anyone planning to move to any HOA community needs to make sure they get a copy of the CC&Rs ahead of time and read them thoroughly. I do see violations within the community, but it's not things that bother me. I believe, by law, they have to give you a copy before you sign any papers.

We do have a golf course within our community, but it is privately owned, so we do not support it with our dues. Also, the roads are county owned, so we don't pay for those either, which is a good thing. I realize that we don't use all the facilities that we "pay" for, but we could if we wanted, so not something we really dwell on.

Sounds like your mom got a really off the wall HOA. I suppose that once Pulte signs over the community to the HOA, if things get out of hand we will have to re-think. But there are enough people here on both sides of any situation that hopefully things won't get too bad. Or else I'll be too senile to care!

Old 05-28-2013, 08:56 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times
One of the biggest deterrents to living in one of these master-planned 55+ communities is the need for a car, and each day I grow older, I loathe the whole idea of owning/driving/maintaining a car. There's no 55+ Del Webb community in here in Las Vegas that has any appeal to me. Anthem, Aliante, Sun City Summerlin are too far out of town for me. Can't even walk to a 7/11 or a bar!

Currently, I'm in an older townhouse complex in Central with lots of aging retirees around, with a senior center just 3 blocks away, 2 bus lines and 4 bars within walking distance, and 6 grocery store chains within 6 blocks of my house. I would never give up those conveniences!!!

And now with my Senior Pass entitling me to $1 bus rides, I'm increasingly taking the bus or riding my bicycle to the store.

And what if I go to the DMV one day and they tell me my driving days are over?

Yes, I know they have shuttles inside some of these 55+ communities, but I'm staying put. For now!

Old 05-29-2013, 09:08 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
One of the biggest deterrents to living in one of these master-planned 55+ communities is the need for a car, and each day I grow older, I loathe the whole idea of owning/driving/maintaining a car. There's no 55+ Del Webb community in here in Las Vegas that has any appeal to me. Anthem, Aliante, Sun City Summerlin are too far out of town for me. Can't even walk to a 7/11 or a bar!

Currently, I'm in an older townhouse complex in Central with lots of aging retirees around, with a senior center just 3 blocks away, 2 bus lines and 4 bars within walking distance, and 6 grocery store chains within 6 blocks of my house. I would never give up those conveniences!!!

And now with my Senior Pass entitling me to $1 bus rides, I'm increasingly taking the bus or riding my bicycle to the store.

And what if I go to the DMV one day and they tell me my driving days are over?

Yes, I know they have shuttles inside some of these 55+ communities, but I'm staying put. For now!
Makes sense to me. If it appears you may have to give up driving sooner rather than later, and especially in your case as you don't like cars anyway, then the suitability of any given location for being car-free is the most important consideration, more important even than whether the location is a 55+ community or not.

I suppose the counter-argument would be that if you are going to be without a car, the retirement community is the place to be because lots of activities are "right there", and the shuttle will take you to the grocery store. Of course if you're not interested in most of the activities offered, that argument is moot.

And in your case the proximity of bars is paramount, which is a good example of how all these choices come down to the individual's priorities.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:04 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times
I'm a very light drinker, but I do like a nightcap at night, and I'm scared beyond reason about ever getting a DUI! And now with the expected lowering the blood alcohol level to .05 for a DUI, I'll just walk there, walk back!

I was riding my bike to a local bar for my nightcap, until I ran into someone there who got a DUI on his bicycle!

So after hearing that, these boots will do the walking!!

In that 55+ master planned Summerlin community in the west valley, you'd have to drive miles to a bar!

Old 05-29-2013, 10:09 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm a very light drinker, but I do like a nightcap at night, and I'm scared beyond reason about ever getting a DUI! And now with the expected lowering the blood alcohol level to .05 for a DUI, I'll just walk there, walk back!

I was riding my bike to a local bar for my nightcap, until I ran into someone there who got a DUI on his bicycle!

So after hearing that, these boots will do the walking!!

In that 55+ master planned Summerlin community in the west valley, you'd have to drive miles to a bar!
I assume you are saying (between the lines) that it's about more than the nightcap or else you could just have the nightcap at home and save the walking time. I further assume that the social aspect of bars is the key factor.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:01 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,182 times
In my part of Oregon, there is a lovely and well-maintained MH park which my daughter just bought in to. It had been a 55+ community until five years ago when it became an all-ages park. She, her husband and two young children are the only family to have bought in so far but that's because these homes hardly ever go on sale. People have lived there since it was built 25 years ago and simply don't leave. So, she lives among a fairly elderly population. Her neighbors are SO SWEET. They arrive with baked goods and love to chat with her husband about gardening (he is a landscaper). The only amenity is a large, common area with picnic tables which always seems to be empty. She takes the kids over there to toss around a frisbee.
If the baby boomers dwindle in numbers, it wouldn't surprise me to see more MH parks change over to all-age parks. Why not?

Old 06-11-2013, 09:46 AM

171 posts, read 209,246 times
Is anyone seriously considering senior co-housing. The more I look at it the more it makes sense especially if you're the outgoing type. There's a great site for co-housing if you think it may be for you.

The Cohousing Association of the United States

Old 06-11-2013, 12:47 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,478,655 times
Cohousing is an expensive way to go. I have been following the movement for the last 15 years. It is also a sometimes more difficult to live in a group that makes consensus decisions than a HOA.

The above website has lots of info and the email archives will give you a flavor.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:35 PM

171 posts, read 209,246 times
Are there no economic benefits to co-housing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement