Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 04:31 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times

Advertisements

My backup plan in retirement life, should I become unable to drive, is East Arlington, across one road from Cambridge. There's one homely '60s apartment complex on a beautiful pond, and the very ordinary apartments have a zillion-dollar view. One block to the main street and taxis, buses and everything else. Lots of single-person apartments, and lots of old ladies, from what I've seen.
I say it's a backup plan because I really like owning a house, living in the woods, and having dogs, and as for living in town, "been there done that." Still, I keep it in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 07:15 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
Nancy, if you'll go to the NC Coastal section of this form, you'll find some info I posted about Beaufort...but in general, the Historic District homes and those directly on the water can be pricey. But if you go less than a half mile from the waterfront, you'll find some cute homes, smaller, under 1500 feet, for under $200,000. And if you go Downeast, further away from town center, but not walkable or bikable to town center, you can do even better on price.

Wow. That's amazing (compared to Long Island) . A tiny cute home is all I would need. Was that where "The Prince of Tides" was filmed?

Old 10-27-2007, 07:23 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30apples View Post
Wow, litlux! Your research produced an excellent choice of home towns! Your preferences are just about what I'm looking for. What about Ma state taxes? Thanks for sharing!
I only pay real estate taxes, less than $500 a year, When I hit 70, I won't have to pay even that since Massachusetts has an elderly tax abatement program for 5 year resident owners of modest means. I am not working, I am living on Social Security and an occasional sale on eBay or Amazon.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:24 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
My backup plan in retirement life, should I become unable to drive, is East Arlington, across one road from Cambridge. There's one homely '60s apartment complex on a beautiful pond, and the very ordinary apartments have a zillion-dollar view. One block to the main street and taxis, buses and everything else. Lots of single-person apartments, and lots of old ladies, from what I've seen.

My son lived there and loves that whole area. Now, he lives in Medford. It might be a little cold for me, though , all the way up there.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-30-2008, 05:37 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times
You could live in someplace like Indianapolis downtown. I live there. They even have rent subsidized senior apartments although to be really picky, I would not need to live in one of the highrises but would select one of the smaller groups. For what you are spending, you can live in the nice highrise apt., cottage, carriage house apt., or most anything and be within walking distance to a new $150 million dollar library, a newly renovated grocery, hardware store, lots of art galleries, all the downtown amenities. There is also a bus system to outlying areas to shopping malls and other shopping. All the buses come downtown so you would be at the beginning of the route. You would be within blocks of the theaters where the Broadway shows perform.

It is safe with wide streets and well lit.

Cons: Hot in summer, can be cold in winter but we have four seasons.
Perhaps more boring than cities like San Francisco, NYC. etc.

More Pros: Good airport with limo service for $11 per person to the airport. Lots and lots of hospitals within a mile of downtown.

The dogwoods, crabapples and other trees are blooming. The peonies are budding out. Nice time of year.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:32 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
If you're not concerned about the area of the country, or a particular state, and since you're already in New York State, you might want to look at Upstate New York or Western New York (Buffalo/Rochester), or even Syracuse. The rents in those cities would be affordable, you're already used to the culture there, and although there is snow, being retired, you wouldn't have to go out in the middle of a snowstorm.

Buffalo has hit on hard times, but there are many beautiful old Victorians that have been made into apartments. I, personally, would probably pick Syracuse, if I were moving back that way, because it's smaller, but not too small, it's pretty, near lots of natural beauty, and many neighborhoods are very walkable. If you would take a driving tour through New York State, you'd probably find lots of really nice towns that could work and are still affordable. By renting, you'll avoid those awful property taxes, and you should be able to make it.

Good luck!
I'm from up near Syracuse myself, but I would choose Rochester - very pretty, lots going on, and on the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement