Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 04:51 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,447,755 times

Advertisements

If Obama could find a way to tax suicide, the dems in Congress would pass a Bill that would legalize it and O would sign it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 04:56 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
If Obama could find a way to tax suicide, the dems in Congress would pass a Bill that would legalize it and O would sign it....

Please stop interjecting politics into this discussion.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:07 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,406,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Please stop interjecting politics into this discussion.
+1. Please take it to the Politics sub-forum...

Last edited by Midpack; 02-27-2013 at 05:54 PM..

Old 02-27-2013, 05:22 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTYD View Post
As I grow older a disturbing pattern is beginning to emerge. A number of our friends are starting to take care of their elderly parents. While that in itself is not disturbing, seeing some of them deal with parents who have lost all quality of life and yet live on has made me more determined NOT to put our children through that.

Why is it that we can humanely put our pets down yet we allow our elderly to suffer on for years knowing that they wouldn't want it that way. DNR's are great when one has fallen terminally ill but what about those who exist in a vegetative state.

There will come a day when our state and federal governments will allow us to make the compassionate decision but unfortunately it will only be due to the fact that they will be doing it for monetary purposes only.
You are wrong here. In my state Assisted Suicide is allowed so the government can and does allow it. There is absolutely no monetary gain for anyone. I know two people who applied for this program and were accepted. They had all that was required but passed away before they could actually use it. Still everything was in place so they if needed. It was tremendous comfort to them knowing it was there and they, and they alone not doctors, family, clergy or anyone else had control over their pain and suffering.

One of these people was my best friend whom I had known for years. I held her hand just days before she passed away. She told me not to worry because if things got too bad, she could make it stop. That broke my hear. She was comforting me. But that's because she had control.

Until someone has witnessed this, I don't think they can have any idea how powerful this kind of control is on a person who is in pain and dying and knows it but has the authority over their own life and death. It absolutely changed my perspective on life and death forever. I believe that no one has the right to make that determination for anyone else. As I said not doctors, family, clergy or anyone else but those who possess the lives themselves.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:57 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Until someone has witnessed this, I don't think they can have any idea how powerful this kind of control is on a person who is in pain and dying and knows it but has the authority over their own life and death. It absolutely changed my perspective on life and death forever. I believe that no one has the right to make that determination for anyone else. As I said not doctors, family, clergy or anyone else but those who possess the lives themselves.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:05 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTYD View Post
Are you people freakin kidding me... get over it folks, the black man is here to stay for another four years.
No need to be racist. Race has nothing to do with bad politicians, as we've seen through the ages.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:22 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,430,792 times
My Dad had been a very independent, self sufficient person all his life, and being confined to a wheel chair and a nursing home was very disheartening to him. He asked my brother to bring him a pistol, which he wouldn't do. Life can do that to you.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:02 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The seniors I know (and sort of know) know their own minds. They are not feeble creatures who cannot think for themselves. Legislation could be passed preventing those who are not in their right minds (dementias, etc) from committing themselves to suicide. The rest of us are smart enough to do what we want, with the help we need to do so.
What I find most interesting, and this was again confirmed by your pbs link, is that people just want to know they have a way out - most of the time they don't take it. The assurance gives them the peace of mind to continue living

Quote:
They're green-lit after examination of their papers by a doctor. Then what?
Seventy percent of our members which have got provisional green light do never call again. It's very interesting.
They are just looking in order to have a choice, to make a choice, because normally they are in a terrible dilemma. ... Would I have to go through the whole illness until the so-called natural death, with all the pains, with all the difficulties, or must I make a very risky suicide attempt? When we are getting the provisional green light, this is a sort of opening an emergency exit. So they know, "I could go through this emergency exit if really I am in difficulties," and this is calming them. ...
Seventy percent never come to Zurich?
Not only never come to Zurich, never call again. We never hear from them. Then we get the invoice for the membership fee for the next year, and then they will pay the membership fee, but they will never call again. It's very, very interesting.
Thirty percent will call again?
From the rest of 30 percent, only a part will come to Zurich. We do lose more members by natural deaths within a year than we lose by assisted suicide.
Sometimes natural deaths will occur very soon after they have got the provisional green light. This shows that they have been in a high tension, and when this tension has gone, they can leave.
Interview - Ludwig Minelli | The Suicide Tourist | FRONTLINE | PBS

Perhaps we all should have some phenobarbitol or a cyanide pill in the medicine cabinet, just in case.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:57 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Me, I would like to make my own choice. If I have no quality of life, for me, there is no reason to be here.
And if you have no surviving family members to intervene, no Advanced Directives, you get to that stage where they deem you mentally incompetent to sign a DNR order, you automatically go to Full-Code!

Enjoy your last days! The staff will be happy, as you become nothing more than an addition to their financial security!

And even with family members, your wishes may not materialize!

Where I work, there was an elderly woman, down to just bones, colostomy bag, tube feeding, no hope whatsoever. Her son came one day, said: Please put my mother out of her misery, discontinue the feedings! Order carried out!

2 days later, the daughter arrives: Re-connect her! re-connect her!

Old 02-28-2013, 01:06 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
An uncle had copd and did not want to prolong his life. he requested Do Not Resuscitate and filed allthe paperwork. He passed out in his home and his wife
call 911. Guess what because the paramedics arrived they had to resuscitate him. Even if he had DNR tattooed all over his body, they had to resuscitate.
Took him two long and ugly weeks to expire.
Having worked in nursing homes for 11 years, I've seen it! Patient is DNR, and they'll still try to keep that body functioning with the their Crash Cart!

Not a good time to die in one of these places if the heacount is low! Better to die when the place is full!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement