Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 06:54 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times

Advertisements

it always amazes me how simple many think the ss system is and they try to navagate it alone or with the help of those minimum wage people that answer questions at the ss office.

if you are married social security decisions can be the most complex and influential decisions we can make in our lives.

it really is worthy of paying an expert for advice. many websites like social security soulutions are appearing and have some of the sharpest people in the industry .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 06:57 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I'm concerned that over the past few years I've gotten various sometimes conflicting information about SS amount for the survivor if the ex dies. I don't trust that all the reps are on the same page (so many are so young, I wonder if they're totally versed). I'm wondering if a financial planner or CPA would know the rules more thoroughly and would it pay to pay to consult one.
Consider the salary of a clerk in the SS office and compare that to the fee/salary of a quality CPA and you have your answer. NEG part of the problem with SS as you know from other post and forums there are thousands of possible answers. It is probably very difficult to get the right answer if you aren't sure what questions to ask and how to ask them. MathJak did a thread awhile back about software designed to help people through the SS maze. Most of those programs have prompts to help steer you to the right questions for the software to answer. That might be a possible in between step. You know what you want to find out but asking it the right way can be difficult a lot of times when you don't know all of the parameters the person behind the counter is trying to sort through. I recently took a retirement course and this along with other SS topics were covered. However from the specific questions asked it was obvious that each question needed a thought out answer. Seminars I have attended made it easy for most of us but for many they needed more specific advice.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:14 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Consider the salary of a clerk in the SS office and compare that to the fee/salary of a quality CPA and you have your answer. NEG part of the problem with SS as you know from other post and forums there are thousands of possible answers. It is probably very difficult to get the right answer if you aren't sure what questions to ask and how to ask them. MathJak did a thread awhile back about software designed to help people through the SS maze. Most of those programs have prompts to help steer you to the right questions for the software to answer. That might be a possible in between step. You know what you want to find out but asking it the right way can be difficult a lot of times when you don't know all of the parameters the person behind the counter is trying to sort through. I recently took a retirement course and this along with other SS topics were covered. However from the specific questions asked it was obvious that each question needed a thought out answer. Seminars I have attended made it easy for most of us but for many they needed more specific advice.
I have a "quality" CPA. He asks me questions relating to social security and other legal stuff. I don't think he is unusual. I think I'll test him with a few relatively basic SS questions when I submit my tax info in the next month. I also don't believe most folks need to know the info provided in my prior link. In fact, for the average Joe, all of the additional info kind of muddies the water.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:00 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I have a "quality" CPA. He asks me questions relating to social security and other legal stuff. I don't think he is unusual. I think I'll test him with a few relatively basic SS questions when I submit my tax info in the next month.
This is exactly our experience. Our CPA is extremely savvy re tax strategies but clueless when it comes to SS, pensions, and Medicare. He's given us poor advice (ie based upon wrong assumptions) more than once re those and we've had to educate him.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:40 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
I have a "quality" CPA. He asks me questions relating to social security and other legal stuff. I don't think he is unusual. I think I'll test him with a few relatively basic SS questions when I submit my tax info in the next month. I also don't believe most folks need to know the info provided in my prior link. In fact, for the average Joe, all of the additional info kind of muddies the water.
I'll be interested in hearing how your CPA does. Being in the area you are he should not only be well versed in a number of things but also well experienced in dealing with.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:43 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
My divorce attorney 25 years ago never mentioned that it would benefit me to
wait until the marriage was 10 years long to file final divorce papers...

My husband left after 9 years, and the divorce
was final right at the 10 year mark..(year separation requirement)

Thankfully it was just past the 10 year
date !!!

Old 03-09-2013, 12:08 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
My divorce attorney 25 years ago never mentioned that it would benefit me to
wait until the marriage was 10 years long to file final divorce papers...

My husband left after 9 years, and the divorce
was final right at the 10 year mark..(year separation requirement)

Thankfully it was just past the 10 year
date !!!
Divorce attorneys aren't always the best when it comes to stuff like that and accounting issues (if ever a next time, get an attorney with a good accounting background). After my divorce several years ago, I needed a financial advisor to help me sort through transferring stock, etc, into my own account, and he discovered that my ex had double taxed me (everything was written out in percentages, not exact $ amounts). Fortunately, my ex finally agreed to pay me the difference without having to go back to court. Had I not consulted with a financial advisor, I would have never known I was underpaid.

I consider myself fortunate in that I have that same financial advisor whom I see once a year to go over my IRA and company 401K, and any changes in my circumstances. He has also advised me on SS issues ... 1/2 of my ex's SS when he retires (or if I remarry, I can still collect on ex's if his is the higher amount), and SS will automatically make the adjustments. As far as 100% of SS, I believe only if he dies (but I'm not quite sure, wasn't paying too much attention last time we discussed SS). I will definitely ask when I see him next time.

Last edited by smpliving; 03-09-2013 at 01:23 PM..

Old 03-09-2013, 02:35 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,929 times
I m sure I read somewhere that there is a limit to how much money
will be paid out to exes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they reduce
each ex down to meet the limit.
I the ss recipient were amoral enough to have 6 x spouses, ss would not
willy nilly pay each one the full amount/

Old 03-09-2013, 03:18 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I m sure I read somewhere that there is a limit to how much money
will be paid out to exes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they reduce
each ex down to meet the limit.
I the ss recipient were amoral enough to have 6 x spouses, ss would not
willy nilly pay each one the full amount/
Everything I have read says what one ex gets does not in any way affect what the other ex's get.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:25 PM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
There is no limit for ex spouses. You can have 10 ex wives and they all get the same deal.

Come to think of it why would one man want to disapoint so many women and have witnesses to boot. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement