Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 03:01 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times

Advertisements

I could have posted this on the NYC or Travel forum but I'm not interested from responses from kids and people in middle age.

I'm planning a trip to NYC sometime between now and the end of September to see a special exhibit ain the Arms and Armor section of the Met. I have a few other stops in mind but they are all relatively close to midtown; I'll rent a car for any longer trips.

I'm looking for a nice hotel with a 24 hour coffee shop and 24 hour room service. I'll be eating dinner and lunch out but I enjoy breakfast as well as possible midnight repasts in my room. There might, however, be some reason to go to the coffee shop. I really don't care to associate with most of the people, particularly the young people, who inhabit and visit the city. I prefer to be around older folks who act and dress in a dignified and conservative manner but who are friendly and willing to talk to strangers. I like a dignified and obsequious staff.

Does anyone know of a place like this for a five day or so stay? Someone suggested the New Yorker to me. Is anyone familiar with that hostelry? I'm interested in hearing about French and other European restaurants and gourmet food stores as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 04:08 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
I was there last Saturday to see the Matisse exhibit and since it was an all-day stay at the Met I spent time in the arms & armor exhibit. All I can say is don't plan to go there on a Sat or Sun, the whole museum was wall to wall people and it was hard to get close to anything or observe exhibits with ill-mannered people passing right in front of you while you're viewing. Since it was so crowded, this got to be extremely annoying. I would go on a weekday morning.

Here are the hotels around the Met. Google each to see what they have to offer in terms of restaurants and coffee shops.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocalMaps..._Art-Area.html

PS: This museum in central Mass. has a very fine collection (click on "collection").

www.higgins.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement