Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 06:34 PM

15 posts, read 37,488 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine recently received 14 million after taxes. Obviously he has professionals managing his money.

He is 30 and has decided to buy some real estate, pay off family debts and basically retire.

How much money will he live on per year assuming he socks away roughly 10 million in cash, spends 2 million in real estate and 2 million in cash purchases/paying off debts?

I'm just curious. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 07:00 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmic line View Post
A friend of mine recently received 14 million after taxes. Obviously he has professionals managing his money.

He is 30 and has decided to buy some real estate, pay off family debts and basically retire.

How much money will he live on per year assuming he socks away roughly 10 million in cash, spends 2 million in real estate and 2 million in cash purchases/paying off debts?

When will he die?

Old 03-16-2013, 07:59 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,816,860 times
I really don't know the answer re his income.

But retiring at 30? I think he will be bored out of his mind in a couple of tears.

I mean, you can travel. And you can play so much golf, read so many books, drink yourself into oblivion so many times. And then? Its then time to do something productive.

In short, it'll be time to make a (real) life for yourself (I'm referring to him).

Old 03-17-2013, 08:03 AM

357 posts, read 1,019,222 times
Quote:
A friend of mine recently received 14 million after taxes. Obviously he has professionals managing his money. !
what happen he would not trust them to keep that 14 mil (a lot more before tax) to quadruple it self. good tract record so far.

Quote:
retired at 30 with 10 mil in cash and own 2 mil in real estate, cash will be gone fast enough, in the bright side he will young enough to start all over again.

30 years old person has a lot of want/need with cash in hand who/what will stop him/her to enjoy life.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:06 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
this is another one of those dream boy threads. trouble is too much time is wasted posting on CDF about these fantasies rather than doing them. trust me on this when u hit your first million nothing happens.
when u have slain the dragon
the village does not in fact turn out to cheer
the beautiful princess does not in fact fall in love with you

Old 03-17-2013, 08:17 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
I've heard of others in this situation and they do end up bored to death. It's kind of hard to have fun when everyone you know is working all day. It may sound like heaven but this person should be prepared.

My first thought is to split the money between 2 money managers. Why take the risk that your manager may be crooked? It's a long shot but a risk worth avoiding.

As for the initial question any money manager will tell you that a 5% withdraw will be a safe figure, the money should be growing at a 6% rate annually. So the math ain't that hard: 5% of 10 mil is an annual income before taxes of 500 grand.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:19 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,080 times
SWR methodology would suggest with a simple well managed 60/40 portfolio he could withdraw 2-3% initially (at his young age) regardless of life expectancy if past history is any indication. That would mean $200-300,000 in the first year and inflation adjusted each year thereafter. At least a 95% chance of a healthy residual.

Or he could go with a % of remaining portfolio approach and withdraw 4-5% of remaining portfolio every year, so $400-500,000 in year one. That would result in fluctuating income from year to year (smoothing would be helpful) but he'd never run out and leave a (likely considerable) residual for family and/or charity.

Both rules of thumb.

Then there's annuities, though a very bad time to buy annuities if you have options.

Sad to imagine anyone who would actually retire at 30, even if he is financially able IMO.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:23 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
when u have slain the dragon
the village does not in fact turn out to cheer
the beautiful princess does not in fact fall in love with you
Oh yes they do.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:53 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,667,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Oh yes they do.

The only thing money cannot buy is poverty..........LOL

Old 03-17-2013, 09:52 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:

Hmmm, is he single? I have an unmarried 25 year old daughter.

Heck, does he have a mother? I would be happy to fill that role if he needs a loving mom. P.S. I am great company and I love to travel (just can't afford it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement