Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 06:45 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,382,343 times

Advertisements

IMO, You have to include Pinehurst NC.
If you have never been here then you can't exclude it.

For a short time I worked at the big name resort and met many people from around the world who would fly in just to play a few rounds on one of the famous courses.

For those of us who live here year round you can and some do play every single day on one of the 40 courses within a 20 minute drive.

If you love golf do yourself a favor and come and visit Pinehurst, NC.

Accommodations and Attractions - Village of Pinehurst

Pinehurst Golf Courses - Pinehurst golf course guide

Most important I almost forgot,

http://www.firsthealth.org/Hospitals...ital/index.asp

Last edited by PDD; 03-22-2013 at 07:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 09:21 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,964 times
The main issue if living in an area that has year round golf will be what about the part timers (snowbirds) and especially the tourist/vacationers. Be careful in selecting a tourist/vacation area as during the "season" prices and availability can change rapidly to the point that it is not enjoyable during this time for the full time residents. Them tourists can be a pain in the butt.

Of course one answer is to belong to a private golf club where any guest must be accompanied by a member. Another is to be just far enough away to enjoy the same weather but off the tourist trail.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
The main issue if living in an area that has year round golf will be what about the part timers (snowbirds) and especially the tourist/vacationers. Be careful in selecting a tourist/vacation area as during the "season" prices and availability can change rapidly to the point that it is not enjoyable during this time for the full time residents. Them tourists can be a pain in the butt.

Of course one answer is to belong to a private golf club where any guest must be accompanied by a member. Another is to be just far enough away to enjoy the same weather but off the tourist trail.
I'm not a golfer but my friends are and there are golf deals all year long that the locals use.

Yes the visitors will pay $500+ to play Pinehurst #2 during the season but the locals know where to find the deals.

I like the living here because when you go into town "Pinehurst" it's like your on vacation year round.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:46 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,827,261 times
Patrick AFB near Satellite Beach, Florida has opened up their beautiful course (Manatee Cove) to civilians. Before moving recently, I was paying about $600-$700 per year for unlimited Green Fees ... and $12 for a cart (although, I chose to walk). (I could get on the course in less than 10-minutes and the traffic was very manageable. Wish I was back there now.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:04 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,491,545 times
Retirement + Golf = Expensive (not always, but more often than not).

Old 03-25-2013, 08:16 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,447,509 times
I'm not much of a golfer . However, the ones that I know have always said that they love the Myrtle Beach area because of the vast amount of courses that are available...

Old 03-25-2013, 01:21 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,664,964 times
One of the critical issues in selecting a place to full time retire to with golf being a critical part will be do things stay the same the year round. Many places have one set of rules/fees for part of the year but then they change them when tourist/snowbird season arrives.

As an example. One can get a time and play cheap in Myrtle Beach during the summer but in the next few months their courses will be factories with all the golfer packages. Rates will dip in the summer, increase in the fall, dip in the winter, then increase in the spring. In some parts of MB in the spring (like now) it becomes Canada south. Look for the Canadians. They are the ones in shorts and even swimming in the ocean.....LOL

One of the better parts of SC for golfers to retire to and play year round, is Sun City, Hilton Head (Bluffton SC). Three courses. Own your own golf cart, etc. I have several golfing buddies that are very happy there. Also have some that are very happy at The Villages in FL.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:45 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,482,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
IMO, You have to include Pinehurst NC.
If you have never been here then you can't exclude it.

For a short time I worked at the big name resort and met many people from around the world who would fly in just to play a few rounds on one of the famous courses.

For those of us who live here year round you can and some do play every single day on one of the 40 courses within a 20 minute drive.

If you love golf do yourself a favor and come and visit Pinehurst, NC.

Accommodations and Attractions - Village of Pinehurst

Pinehurst Golf Courses - Pinehurst golf course guide

Most important I almost forgot,

FirstHealth of the Carolinas - Moore Regional Hospital
My late inlaws retired to and lived in Southern Pines NC for about 20 years. Perhaps it is great golf in some respects - but playing Pinehurst will cost you $$$$. A retiree in that area will pay pretty big dollars to play some pretty mediocre courses there IMO. Especially during high season (spring/fall), Where do you play golf - and how much does it cost you?

I thought the medical care my inlaws got there was mediocre to awful. Which is why my late FIL spent the last 2 1/2 years of his life here post-stroke in a local SNF (with the blessing of the medical/social worker people up there - they still have "old folk's homes" in that part of the south).

The winter ice storms are no great shakes either. Ditto when it comes to state income taxes.

Are you a real estate broker? Robyn

Old 03-26-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
My late inlaws retired to and lived in Southern Pines NC for about 20 years. Perhaps it is great golf in some respects - but playing Pinehurst will cost you $$$$. A retiree in that area will pay pretty big dollars to play some pretty mediocre courses there IMO. Especially during high season (spring/fall), Where do you play golf - and how much does it cost you?

I thought the medical care my inlaws got there was mediocre to awful. Which is why my late FIL spent the last 2 1/2 years of his life here post-stroke in a local SNF (with the blessing of the medical/social worker people up there - they still have "old folk's homes" in that part of the south).

The winter ice storms are no great shakes either. Ditto when it comes to state income taxes.

Are you a real estate broker? Robyn
I will answer your questions and ask one of my own.

I am not a RE agent just suggesting that Pinehurst is a place to explore if you like to golf.
The Pinehurst courses are some of the best rated courses in the country. People fly in from all over the world just to play #2 even if it is $500 a round.

When was the last time you even looked at the Medical center in Pinehurst rated just behind Duke Medical center?

We have fewer ice storms here than they do snowstorms in the Northeast.

If you don't like the Pinehurst area don't move here but to suggest that the golfing sucks and the medical center is sub par is just sour grapes on your part.

I just noticed your from Florida which has the reputation for where the old folks go to die. Not much to brag about there.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
I think Florida has always been know as golf paradise. Couldn't even immagine the number of course and of course the pro golfers who live there for the cliamte for golf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement