Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 05:03 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
We retired in Alaska, then moved to our cabin in New Mexico to explore our old home area. From there we took numerous exploratory trips to towns that interested us in several western states.

Luckily, we are avid skiers, so the rocky mt range keeps us in one major region.

After a year in New Mexico, we moved to a small ski town in Montana. We've been here a year now and love most aspects, except it is far from our cabin in NM & friends there & in Colorado.

So later this summer we are moving again to try out a small ski area in Colorado! Like in Montana, we will be renting.

Feels a bit like gypsies; however, we are loving having the freedom to explore different areas. It feels freeing, like what one feels when traveling. The process & journey are a lot of fun!

Good luck with your searches!
I find your adventurous spirit refreshing. I also wonder how you physically manage the moves (packing, moving, unpacking, etc) and if you are possibly much younger than many of us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 08:01 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I find your adventurous spirit refreshing. I also wonder how you physically manage the moves (packing, moving, unpacking, etc) and if you are possibly much younger than many of us?
We're 62 & 63, but stay fit & active with skate skiing, downhill skiing, biking & hiking. Is that much younger than many of you!?

The secret to our moves is that we have downsized to a truck with camper shell towing a trailer. ;

Old 03-29-2013, 08:12 AM

482 posts, read 902,132 times
At this point I am ready just to throw the dart on the USA wall map and move where ever it lands

When I am tired of that place, on to the next dart throw.

Gee I hope my aim is good and I dont land in the ocean...of course I have always wanted ocean front property.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:36 AM

419 posts, read 656,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalTwinkie View Post
At this point I am ready just to throw the dart on the USA wall map and move where ever it lands

When I am tired of that place, on to the next dart throw.

Gee I hope my aim is good and I dont land in the ocean...of course I have always wanted ocean front property.
Hahahaha

Understand completely. It becomes overwhelming at times and intend to over analyze.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:58 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
We're 62 & 63, but stay fit & active with skate skiing, downhill skiing, biking & hiking. Is that much younger than many of you!?

The secret to our moves is that we have downsized to a truck with camper shell towing a trailer. ;
Not so much younger - I'm on the near approach to 67 - but after years of very physical jobs (ranching, military, law enforcement) coupled with attendant injuries, my knees and hips just don't allow for high impact activities any longer. But that's OK. My mind follows.

By the way, asking if your activities are "much younger" than others might not win you a lot of friends among retirees. Some of us beat the hell out of our bodies occupationally over the years or suffer from some chronic conditions that limit our physical abilities in our latter years.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:20 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Not so much younger - I'm on the near approach to 67 - but after years of very physical jobs (ranching, military, law enforcement) coupled with attendant injuries, my knees and hips just don't allow for high impact activities any longer. But that's OK. My mind follows.

By the way, asking if your activities are "much younger" than others might not win you a lot of friends among retirees. Some of us beat the hell out of our bodies occupationally over the years or suffer from some chronic conditions that limit our physical abilities in our latter years.
I was merely responding to newenglandgirl's question if we possibly were much younger than many of you, Curmudgeon. Sorry that you misunderstood. We have beat the hell out of our bodies too. Mr was injured as a bull rider, carpenter, builder, etc. I injured my hand/shoulder very badly while building our cabin" by hand", so badly that I have had to give up backpacking for now, sadly maybe forever.

But if who I am is offensive to other retirees, if that is the sense, I'll go elsewhere!

Old 03-29-2013, 10:12 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
I was merely responding to newenglandgirl's question if we possibly were much younger than many of you, Curmudgeon. Sorry that you misunderstood. We have beat the hell out of our bodies too. Mr was injured as a bull rider, carpenter, builder, etc. I injured my hand/shoulder very badly while building our cabin" by hand", so badly that I have had to give up backpacking for now, sadly maybe forever.

But if who I am is offensive to other retirees, if that is the sense, I'll go elsewhere!
OK! I'm just being sensitive and cautious for you. You were speaking/asking chronologically, not physically. Here you might be a youngster after all. Enjoy it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement