Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2013, 10:16 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

I get Google alerts any time the word "retirement" is mentioned in a news story, that is, once a day I get a single alert with links to all the retirement-related news stories of the day. I've been getting them for years. It used to be about 50 percent of the news stories were related to finances and retirement, about 30 were related to well-known people (sports, business, politics, entertainment) announcing their retirement and about 20 percent were related to retirement lifestyles. Those lifestyle stories used to be about anything like multi-generational families living together, retirement travel, retirement relocation, how urban Joe and Jane bought a working farm in retirement, how Jack went back to school at age 80 to become a master chef, retirement hobby stories, 75 year-olds at unique high school reunions, living on a boat in retirement, grandparents rearing their grandchildren, volunteering, etc.

For the last few months, retirement lifestyle stories have all but disappeared from the media. You might see one every 3 weeks. It's now about 70 percent of the stories are related to finance and retirement and the rest are well-known people announcing their retirement. I'd like to get your take on why you think retirement lifestyle stories have all but disappeared from the news media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 11:03 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Maybe because an all too familiar lament is, "I'll never be able to retire and will have to work until I die!" That gets old, especially when whined by those who could have planned for it much better, the economy notwithstanding. Success stories aren't nearly as newsworhy for political purposes.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:00 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Maybe because an all too familiar lament is, "I'll never be able to retire and will have to work until I die!" That gets old, especially when whined by those who could have planned for it much better, the economy notwithstanding. Success stories aren't nearly as newsworhy for political purposes.
Dada Bing, my exact thoughts.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:31 PM

3 posts, read 4,046 times
Here is my two cents on the matter - perhaps the reason why retirement lifestyle has been dropped from the news because it is becoming irrelevant. I don't have the statistics, but the present situation of the majority of people in retirement is not exactly what you'd call lifestyle material. More and more people can't afford the retirement they wanted or could not afford retirement at all. And as a result the news that comes up more often are those that deal with this issue - news on retirement financing.

Or they could be paying for the exposure.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Usually this is all TRAFFIC driven... Poor Google Analytics, = poof...gone onto something that DRIVES traffic / ad revenue.

Or... as mentioned, lack of new content. Fewer retirees on Gov / private pension; = fewer 'success' stories.

Or... Bad press for media...i.e. Truthful Obamacare cost projections (For the millions of us retirees that have no pension or healthcare...)

No thanks to my case of working 32 yrs for a GREAT company and having a weasel CEO come in a reduce the market value to 1/2 in 6 yrs. We USED to lend CASH to the US Gov when they couldn't meet payroll. Now... no cash, all spent on 'goodwill' (buying companies for 10x their value).

Life in the big city, no big deal, just need to be grateful and more creative (for healthcare).

There is PLENTY of news content for elders caring for kids / grandkids w/o insurance. Those stories don't sell in USA. pretty 'shallow' readers of content / "this will never happen to me" thought process. Hope Not

Old 03-26-2013, 09:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Not that I have seen.But then you expect them to increase as the popualtion ages. Just as we see so much commercial advertisement now aimed at retired and aging people on media.Alot depedns o the program content watch tho as they target.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:03 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,886,522 times
No one I know who is younger works for a company that has a traditional defined benefit pension. Some companies no longer match 401 accounts. Social Security and Medicare for the under 55 crowd may be reduced or even eliminated.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:34 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
No one I know who is younger works for a company that has a traditional defined benefit pension. Some companies no longer match 401 accounts. Social Security and Medicare for the under 55 crowd may be reduced or even eliminated.
This could all change as the employment market is starting to pick up and employees are seeing greater opportunity to move to new jobs. Employers may have to begin to rethink benefits in some fields that are seeing competition now for workers as that current staff begins to move on.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:43 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Well, however much retirement lifestyle issues are MIA in the media, they are alive and well here on City-Data. We are our own media! And we even have a feel for the personalities and personal histories of many of the "reporters". We even know whom to take with a grain of salt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement