Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2013, 08:47 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,800 times

Advertisements

Nowadays, when people have kids in their late 40s-50s-late 50s (throw in some 60+ new parents)...

How do you generally feel about your life? How do you maneuver in the world that is set up for the child-free post-60 crowd?

Just an open-ended question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 08:54 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,308 times
My spouse and I were not able to have our own child. I went through a number of surgeries and gave IVF a college try without success. This all within the span of 10 years. We thought about adoption - but at 45 I knew in my heart of hearts that I did NOT want to be a mother of a 15 year old at age 60.

I turn 60 this year - and I am glad I listened to my gut.

I barely have the energy for my 10 year old golden retriever.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I actsaully know more retirees that are raisig their grand chilvren than children of their own. Most have continued to work past when they could have retired because of it. he ones I know really do not seem to gripe about it tho.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:50 AM

140 posts, read 358,067 times
I am 61 and my sons are 14 and 10. My first marriage was 14 years and childless, ending in divorce. I then married my current wife and started a family, better late than never. My wife is almost 10 years younger.

Over time as our careers evolved, it became apparent that she, having a college degree, (I don't), would be the prime breadwinner. I drive school bus part time and play "Mr. Mom". I do the whole thing, cooking, shopping, laundry and kid "taxi" service. Lots and lots of "taxi".

The process has been very rewarding. I know I can't keep up with the boys physically, but we love them and support them enthusiastically.

The big financial challenge is facing college expenses and retirement at the same time. We are definitely not rich, but we are frugal and live simply. I manage our money and take advantage of every benefit due us. Roth IRA's and ESA's to the max each year. My first Social Security check comes this summer, with dependent benefits added. Because of my age, my boys will qualify for more college financial aid. The Roth IRA funds are not considered in our assets in the financial aid calculations.

I might not have picked waiting till this late to raise a family when I was 25, but life evolved this way and I wouldn't change a thing. I have stopped getting upset when referred to as my boy's "Grandpa". I say, "Yes I'm old enough to be his grandpa, but I'm proud to say he's my son." Then I get my senior discount at the restaurant while my boy orders from the Kid's Menu.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:21 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
I am 52 with four girls 13, 11, 9, and 5 which means I''ll be 65 when my youngest turns 18.

My goal is to retire by 97.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-faf View Post
I am 61 and my sons are 14 and 10. My first marriage was 14 years and childless, ending in divorce. I then married my current wife and started a family, better late than never. My wife is almost 10 years younger.
Sounds very similar to how my husband's life (and mine) turned out. He's in his 60s, too, and our kids are 9 and 10. I'm a bit younger than your wife. Absolutely, better later than never.

Quote:
Over time as our careers evolved, it became apparent that she, having a college degree, (I don't), would be the prime breadwinner. I drive school bus part time and play "Mr. Mom". I do the whole thing, cooking, shopping, laundry and kid "taxi" service. Lots and lots of "taxi".
We wound up a bit different. Even though we are in the same situation (me-college, him- no college), having a degree doesn't mean much in the rural coastal area we live in. I ended up learning his trade, and we run the family blue-collar business. Pretty relaxing life that suits my own personality better, as it turned out.

Quote:
The big financial challenge is facing college expenses and retirement at the same time. We are definitely not rich, but we are frugal and live simply. I manage our money and take advantage of every benefit due us. Roth IRA's and ESA's to the max each year. My first Social Security check comes this summer, with dependent benefits added. Because of my age, my boys will qualify for more college financial aid. The Roth IRA funds are not considered in our assets in the financial aid calculations.
Wow to the bolded. Pensions here (Canada) do not consider dependents. A 60+ person may not have dependents!!!!! Pension is calculated based on the family income in the previous year. More income (pension is income, too) - less pension, and the fact that you have 0 or 10 dependents, is not even in the formula.

I don't think the parents' ages are considered in the college financial aid here. There are some small grants for low-income families, for students with dependents, for disability, and some relief for working locally after graduation. We do have the equivalent of ESA, though.

Quote:
Then I get my senior discount at the restaurant while my boy orders from the Kid's Menu.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I am 52 with four girls 13, 11, 9, and 5 which means I''ll be 65 when my youngest turns 18.

great goal! Hats off to you, Charles, what a crop of young women! I bet you'll feel younger at 65 than when being a grampa or great-grampa! Milestones are just a bit shifted for us, older parents. Nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by nuala; 03-31-2013 at 09:49 AM..

Old 03-31-2013, 09:54 AM

813 posts, read 1,133,294 times
I retired when I was 34 and had my first child at 36, my second child when I was 51 and planning our next child at 62. Definitely hard to keep up with my eight year old, but would not trade it for the world! Like others my wife works and I stay at home.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:22 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times
When I was 52 and into my second marriage my wife came home with the news she was pregnant..In both marriages I had married into teen step kids and was now going to face an infant. My son is now a 20 y.o. college student.I have been an active sport's parent and supported many activities. Through some mistakes that I made with the step kids I gained experience to help me. I am still working and really don't see retirement coming but loving my life.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:50 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Some people say "shop until you drop" we say work until you drop!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement